• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Disc Golf Experience Annual Winter Roadtrip and Mini Scavenger Hunt

harr0140

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I am headed out on my 6th annual winter roadtrip on Thursday morning. I am plotting a route I have never taken (not including Milwaukee to Indianapolis, and Atlanta to Fort Myers, FL but I will be hitting a bunch of cities and backroad courses I have not ever played before. It is getting harder and harder to find new places to go with quality courses since most of my travels fall between Milwaukee, WI and Fort Myers, FL . . . but I was able to plan a route through Dayton, OH, Parkersburg, WV, Kingsport, TN, Asheville, NC, and Greenville, SC . . . all cities I have not hit before. I will be also finding some courses on the North and East of Atlanta that I have not played as well as a handful more between Atlanta and Fort Myers. I haven't totally decided on my route for the roadtrip home, but it will likely include a trip through most of Alabama through Central TN, Central KY, and Southern Ohio.

If anyone falls along this route and wants to show me one of the better courses in the area I am open to meeting up. My priority on this trip as always is new courses I have not played. I know there are great courses out there and I have played a lot of them . . . but I wouldn't feel right returning to those courses knowing full well there are more courses out there with less acclaim that still have a lot of good features.

As with my last winter roadtrip I will be leaving a mini at each course I play. Similar to last year I will be attaching a laminated card to each mini that has a special code on it. In order to be eligible for prizes all you have to do is like my facebook page www.facebook.com/discgolfx and plug in the code on the card into a message to me or on my wall. When I return I will be giving away a handful of prizes to people who found some of the minis.

I also ask that you like Highbridge Hills Disc Golf on facebook because they have pledged support for me to continue with my travels and blog writing. They are also providing me with the minis this year which is very generous. They will also be offering up a deal to anyone who finds these minis . . . as well as a prize for one of the lucky winners for a weekend vacation for up to 5 people for free disc golf and free camping for a weekend in 2014. You can always upgrade to the bunkhouse or the Honka House if you want better accomodations than just tent camping, but Highbridge Hills supports the travelling disc golfer and would love to see more people visit the disc golf mecca. While many of you may only know the name from DGCR's top 10 . . .you all do really need to experience just how epic the 6 course mega complex is. There is a little of everything at Highbridge's 6 courses . . . so I hope some of you can take advantage of this offer John has provided for people following along on my travels.

Also helping me to continue to do this travelling and disc golf blogging is Vanish Apparel. They are a newer apparel company and will be rolling out more merchandise all the time. They are offering me a discount code for people to use for 10% off their merchandise. Along with the discount for you, Vanish Apparel has agreed to offer up The Disc Golf Experience 10% of the sale also.

Highbridge Hills Disc Golf on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001403260432&fref=ts

Highbridge Hills Disc Golf on the web
http://www.highbridgehillssc.com/

Vanish Apparel on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/VanishLlc

Vanish Apparel on the web
http://www.vanishapparel.com/

The Disc Golf Experience on Facebook
www.facebook.com/discgolfx

The Disc Golf Experience on the web (sorry this has not updated in a while, but I will be reviving this blog upon my return from this road trip)
www.thediscgolfexperience.com

Who wants to meet up along the way?

when do you plan on coming through wv? I live in the southern part of the state but travel for work and liable to be in parkersburg

I dont have fb or I would message you there. If you are coming through charleston on the 8th there is a icebowl tournament at little creek. I am coming up for it. It is a 9-hole course but they have added another permanent 9 holes making an 18 holer. The new holes will be revealed at the tournament. Tournament is 20 bucks and first 50 get free disc, there are 41 people registered so far. Tournament is listed on discgolfscene

In north GA you should definitely hit NGCT. One of the better courses in the state IMHO.
Also look up Lake Russell, Sandy Creek, and if you can swing it, Indian Creek.

Curveball is right.. if you are in kingsport area Harmon Hills is the place to go. If not I actually prefer winged deer over warriors path but thats just me. WP needs some upkeep done, last time I was there there was one brooke basket and lots of trash and overgrowing brush.

I hope to play between 2-4 courses every day and am only driving about 300 miles per day. Harmon Hills is hopefully one of them too. Plenty of decent courses along the way to hit too though.

What's your Florida plan?
Going through orlando is a bit further. But it looks like you haven't played the Barnet courses, which are decent.

I'd sooner recommend river city but its even further out of the way.

I can get out to any of those three or turkey lake.

Closer to your route. Jonesville and Pine oaks are worth playing and are very close to 75.

Latest posts