• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Open At Austin

Image in post #66b is awesome!

FWIW - I think it's easier to read/more intuitive to understand, than if you used traditional topo/contour lines.
I would think it would be impossible to get the hole layout, elevation profiles, hole#, par, distances and possibly sponsor info on a 10"x12" sign though. Probably need a 12"x18" sign which can get pretty spendy.
It seems like the elevation profile would have to be horizontal.

This was a great tournament to watch ... especially the final round of MPO. I might go back and watch the Jomez version of the final round to see if it captured the excitement of the live broadcast since most of the action was on the chase card and even the 3rd card with Klein (until Anttila's huge putts on 17 and 18). I think the course designers did a good job with this layout.
*that approach shot on #18 by Vinnie after his drive went OB was just plain silly. He had to execute it in the mud wearing sneakers. That guy does things no one else can.

Jomez final round was epic. Well worth the watch.

Granted, I had been stupid enough to get on social media and spoil it. And its kinda funny, because lets assume I didnt, one of the last things before kid goes to bed and I can properly sit down to watch it on Jomez, they mention Niklas being the first MPO player to win a pro tour event on the sports news on TV. Disc golf is never mentioned unless European Open is on. Didnt detract from the experience too much. So glad for Niklas. Him and me both got a little emotional at the end

Analytical map of hole 4 at The Open showing the elevation profile for both tees. I make these maps to help viewers watching online understand the challenge. See more DGPT venues here:View attachment 335427
An elevated view/perspective from behind the tee, whether drone photos like these or artist created graphic (maybe better if artist available), along with terrain elevation lines and basket location(s) with route option line(s) if needed for hidden pin locations, would be easier for more people to understand for the caddy book and course directory, not necessarily for tee signs. Many people struggle mentally rotating bird's eye or side view elevation profiles to produce a mental image of what the hole will look like standing on the tee or along the fairway. These rough designs were produced from drone footage at Toboggan on an uphill and downhill hole.

Drone view idea.jpg

Listened to an interview with Niklas (in Finnish) and it was kinda crazy since one scenario would have been for R3 to be cancelled for MPO and him winning, which would have been kinda like a W* for him, and he said it was a real big thing to win with two C2 putts especially after missing a short one just before that. And that during the round they were under the impression that if 9 holes are played and then the round gets stopped due to lack of light, at that point Kyle must have won. Nerves of steel to keep all that out of mind and just execute the shot in front of you. He talked about keeping the emotions in check in a real adult way, wise beyond his years.

Kinda get the "every mothers favorite son in law" moniker <3 :D

432380495_908735017928474_1287972300227546683_n.jpg

Many people struggle mentally rotating bird's eye or side view elevation profiles to produce a mental image of what the hole will look like standing on the tee or along the fairway.
Those same people will struggle just a s much with the images you provided. You didn't add any scale. Do the white lines indicate the same amount of elevation in each photo? This is no different than the elevation profiles on the tee signs at Wildcat in Iowa (among others) with no frame of reference, i.e. is the highest point in the fairway actually halfway to basket 'C' and how high is it? Why isn't it labeled?
The point of having an elevation profile with down range distance is to remove the need for a mental picture and tell the player exactly what is in front of them, the same way line markers and range finders embedded in a bowling lane are used.
Creating arbitrary lines requires just as much mental juggling and those examples you gave won't work in the woods under canopy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 9.23.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 9.23.54 AM.png
    507.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3Point1.jpg
    3Point1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
Those same people will struggle just a s much with the images you provided. You didn't add any scale. Do the white lines indicate the same amount of elevation in each photo? This is no different than the elevation profiles on the tee signs at Wildcat in Iowa (among others) with no frame of reference, i.e. is the highest point in the fairway actually halfway to basket 'C' and how high is it? Why isn't it labeled?
The point of having an elevation profile with down range distance is to remove the need for a mental picture and tell the player exactly what is in front of them, the same way line markers and range finders embedded in a bowling lane are used.
Creating arbitrary lines requires just as much mental juggling and those examples you gave won't work in the woods under canopy.
The purpose of the photos was simply to indicate the point of view I think is easier for people to understand with elevation lines. All of the scale numbers you provide on your birds-eye views, elev increments, lengths to/from tee/pin and terrain features, should absolutely be added, just applied to photos or isometric drawings from this point of view from behind the tee about to 15-20 ft above the tee.

I would think it would be impossible to get the hole layout, elevation profiles, hole#, par, distances and possibly sponsor info on a 10"x12" sign though. Probably need a 12"x18" sign which can get pretty spendy.
It seems like the elevation profile would have to be horizontal.
Depends on what the sign company can do. The difference is likely $10-$15 per sign, The reason it's not larger is the 12x18 is the standard size of a speed limit sign which is available as a precut, pre-drilled blank. The smaller sign includes the labor cost of cutting the the 10x12 from a larger sheet.
Pro Tip: find a metal sign company that makes road signs for your state's dept.of transportation. They deal with much higher volumes of material and their lower prices reflect that.

The purpose of the photos was simply to indicate the point of view I think is easier for people to understand with elevation lines. All of the scale numbers you provide on your birds-eye views, elev increments, lengths to/from tee/pin and terrain features, should absolutely be added, just applied to photos or isometric drawings from this point of view from behind the tee about to 15-20 ft above the tee.
This is a much needed discussion for sure so I am not trying to bash any perspective. I agree finding the most user friendly presentation is important. I also think that map literacy can grow. There is a chicken/egg scenario here: 'players don't use caddie books so why bother' vs 'caddy books don't offer anything to look at'

For others reading this thread, the reason I keep creating these graphics is to show what can be done rather than what needs to be done. I also like to test myself to see if I can gather the data remotely, sort of a cartography etude to borrow a musical term.
I have all the DGPT graphics collected on this page: DGPT Venue Sample Maps. The only course I visited and gathered waypoints for was The Preserve. All the others were mapped by watching video coverage of tournament play and practice rounds combined with up to date GIS data.