• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on finding the right feeling for backhand

Billbox

Hi!

I have a lot of trouble finding the right feel for the backhand. Like I have no clue what everything is supposed to feel like, and I fall into the trap of just focusing on little minor details that throw everything more off.

I have a padel bat (think pickleball), and while swinging it I was thinking if the moves look like they could translate to the disc golf throw.

What do you think? Is this what I´m trying to find in the disc golf throw? For me the brace looks much better than on my throws.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/111vr1lJuvTSAJYbtrGBgIVBDZ8aOiyWs/view?usp=sharing

In that video you're rotating in between your legs, which is not quite what you're looking for because you don't get the best power from your core that way (and strain your joints and back unnecessarily). You should think about shifting laterally onto your front leg and bracing against it instead.

It's a bit like as ordinary thing as walking where your weight keeps suddenly shifting from one leg to another. In a backhand drive this sudden weight shift happens sideways and in a staggered stance, which results in a brace.

Thanks for the reply!

I´ve been trying the lateral move, but can´t figure out how it is supposed to rotate me. The only way I can somewhat feel the brace is to "rotate" into the brace, like in this swing.

It rotates you because the momentum has to go forward, and if you get the front hip out of the way, the back hip rotates by going forward. If you put the pressure on the front leg, the back leg will become light and voilá – there is your rotation. So to recap: rotation is a by-product of momentum and pressure shift between the legs, not an active rotational move of the knee.

It is, but it is done by pushing the hip back, not by rotating. There is a big difference.

1. Socks on wood floor can't be good practice as you have zero traction. Bare feet would probably be better, but IMO it's best to practice like you play - with shoes. There is a reason golfers wear spikes on their shoes, to grip the ground better.

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvujcEMLxs#t=1m25s

Latest posts