• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips on Overhand over High Obstacle

dwalk77

Par Member
I come to a situation occasionally where it seems the best play is to throw over the top of some trees that are directly in front of me.

Is it possible to throw an overhand that goes extremely vertical and dead straight? Not looking for distance, just a high "chip shot" over some trees. Today I had no idea what I was doing - I threw an U/S putter left-handed overhand and the thing went WAY left

If it's possible, what kind of grip? What kind of form/angle release/arm angle/etc.? And what sort of disc to throw? Or if you have any video suggestions, would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Look for videos featuring the "grenade" throw. Much straighter than Thumber or Tomahawk: straight up / straight down.

Thirded on the grenade, thumb tucked into the rim and your four fingers on the flight plate. You throw from across your body similar to backhand, so RHBH it's coming from your left hip or knee up above your shoulders kind of like the "granny shot" in basketball.

It's my favorite shot to throw for some reason, only do it once every other round or so, though (usually).

4th (edit slow typer) the grenade!

2 ways to throw- one is Kevin Jones thumb between your middle and index finger. I use this throw with a neutral disc (FD) and I can go higher but not as far.

2nd way is like Eagle- whole thumb flat against the inside rim, thrown like a spike hyzer. This one I can throw farther, but it as high.

Tomahawk with an os disc, slightly tilted against the natural spin should work. Might roll a bit when it lands though.

My shoulder doesn't like it when I try thumbers or tomahawks, so I mainly throw grenades when I have to get up and over a tree. But, there was this one time that I was stuck behind a tree and I threw my disc underhand (opposite of a thumber/tomahawk) over the tree. Almost went into the basket and there was less roll after it hit the ground.

Latest posts