• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Courses of 2016!

Yes he came down for 4th of July so we took him to Asheville. Played Richmond Hill, Sandhill NTDGC, Ashe County and Rolling Pines in 2 days. After killing his legs like that I was pleasantly surprised he came back for Christmas. We did not go back to the mountains though. Played moderate elevation all week.

I'd love to get down there for a few days of frolfin' fun. My only trip there was a quick course in Charlotte (RL Smith) on my way to one of our factories in SC.

It does seem that many reviewers deduct for heavily wooded courses. It is a shame because if you can play well here, you can play well anywhere. There are a few more "open" courses here, you just have to know where to look. Ashe County and Rolling Pines are two of my favorite in the state. However, the East Carolina Univ course is very similar to WI courses (at least that is what my buddy from WI that just visited and played it with me says), Patriot, & Cedarock are a couple of other "open" courses. The three I listed are almost completely open while Ashe and RP that Tim mentioned are "moderately wooded". There are tons of moderately wooded courses here too.
My buddy that visited always loves visiting at Christmas due to the good chance of having a 70 degree day playing in shorts and t-shirts (several mid-high 60's days too).

I am surprised that there would be a "deduction" for courses that are more wooded than others, thus making them more of a challenge to shoot. Where's the challenge in shooting a open course? I consider a open course without many obstacles to shoot around or over as more of a course just to hone up my throwing form and work with different discs. I'd like to see the pros throw on a course like Highland Park or The Canyons at Dell Park and keep those -35 to -40 scores. A little different out there when you go from a course where you can just rip it to one where you need be more accurate to avoid trees. Also, at Highland Park and Canyons there good elevation changes to go along with the woods plus some narrow driving lanes off the tees.

I was messing around with my Service Levels formula, using only the top 50 2016-reviews-only courses to find good locations for people that only want to only play top 50 courses.

For example, here in the Twin Cities a player would naturally want to live right between Vision Quest and Blue Ribbon Pines, which would also allow for intra-day drives to play at Bryant Lake.

Then, when they want to expand out to more courses by traveling farther (say, overnight trips), they would want to relocate to near Wildcat Bluff in Iowa. From there, all the courses in IA, MO, IL, and WI are within reach.

After playing all those, they might start flying to play courses. The central location for all 50 courses is on the KY, VA border.

Or, if they want to continue overnight drives, they could relocate to Charlotte and Philadelphia, then Denver, and finally sweep up all the other courses on a single road trip.

The orange dots are the courses, the blue dots are central places where a lot of courses are within reach, and the blue lines show how a player would want to move when their range of travel expands.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Top50Camps.jpg
    Top50Camps.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 83
I'd love to get down there for a few days of frolfin' fun. My only trip there was a quick course in Charlotte (RL Smith) on my way to one of our factories in SC.

Come on down. Charlotte has tons of good courses relatively close together. If you come to Raleigh, we have some decent courses in the vicinity Cedar hills (Raleigh), Buckhorn (New Hill), UNC DGC (Chapel Hill), Apex Nature Park (Apex), Jones Park (Holly Springs) are all pretty fun. From Raleigh you can travel about an hour in any direction and get to some really good courses.

It would be cool if there was some way to filter to just get trusted reviews... then see a list of top courses reviewed by them.

It would be cool if there was some way to filter to just get trusted reviews... then see a list of top courses reviewed by them.
Often times, once a course has a bunch of reviews, the TR number won't be very far off from the general review #.

I have some ideas for the lists, such as eliminating drive-bys from the rating if a course has more than X amount of reviews and a few other things. It's something I'll probably experiment with in the coming months.
Great. Can't wait to see it.

Latest posts