• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you consider a pitch and putt course?

Length alone does not define pitch and putt. Not all short courses are pitch and putts. Some are just boring. Some are designed to replicate the full disc golf experience in miniature for those who can't throw as far. Including some par 4s and 5s.

A true pitch and putt would be a course where the tees are set so they simulate lots of different situations you might find after a drive. (The final two throws Chuck talked about.) As such, all the pars should be 2.

However, the term "pitch and putt" is most commonly used for the aggrandizement of the person commenting on the course, as in: "I want everyone to think I am too good for this course, therefore, I will insult it by calling it a mere pitch and putt". Much the same way "good for beginners" is often misused.

This sounds so official for such a meaningless term lol. Unless you can link us to a design manual that uses that definition. I agree though that people use is as an insult, or they might just use it to refer to an easy relaxing course but not in an insulting way.

I'm always amazed at dgcr's ability to over analyze any topic. Lol.

they might just use it to refer to an easy relaxing course but not in an insulting way.

Around here that's basically what it means.

"I heard you went to Anytown yesterday and played, what's the course like?"

"It's just a fun little pitch and putt". Which means "you won't be stressed out playing it, you're probably not going to lose discs, it's a fun casual round". Also generally means you're going to finish your round in a decent amount of time. Also usually means it's a good beginner course or a decent place to take your kids to play.

I've never heard of it used as an insult...though people I talk to are more likely to just say "it's a dump" than try to casually imply they didn't like it by using vague terms.

There's a local course that dates back to the early 80's. Longest hole is 277'. Based on course par, anything close to or over 200' is a par 4. There's 9 3's and 9 4's. It's definitely a pitch and putt. For most players, a mid and putter is all you need.

Humble brag alert! I have shot a -18 (36, not course par).

I would base a 'pitch and putt' course on the distance an average player can throw a putter (not a putt and approach disc, a putter. So 3 speed or less). So if the average person can throw a putter 150 feet, that distance and shorter would be a 'pitch and putt' course - in my opinion.

To the contrary

Had a campout this weekend at a park also having an event at the Championship level course but also camping at the "Campground" course.

Campground Course I find fun but a beginner (red) pitch n Putt. 250.5 feet average hole length ( 170 - 330) yah some fast greens, variety of shots but fairly straightforward.

One of the Open players played with me day prior to event.

Gave great review. He said "this isn't a Campground Course this is a disc golf course"

There's a local course that dates back to the early 80's. Longest hole is 277'. Based on course par, anything close to or over 200' is a par 4. There's 9 3's and 9 4's. It's definitely a pitch and putt. For most players, a mid and putter is all you need.

Humble brag alert! I have shot a -18 (36, not course par).

Our local course was put in at roughly the same time. We play everything as a par 3, but as an homage to the old course the signs retain the original pars (the original pars/distances were carved into wood on the teebox, so they were there up until a couple years ago). 420 foot par 5s. People acing par 4s with putters (because trees came down that changed the available routes so now you can throw right at the hole).

It's subjective. One player might be able to 2 the majority of holes on a course without reaching for a driver. That's a pitch and putt course for them. Another player may struggle for 3s on those same holes, and not because of poor putting. Not a pitch and putt for them.

The issue is that we steal/take terminology from ball golf and it doesn't always relate to disc golf. This is one example. In ball golf, a pitch and putt describes a hole where you only need a pitching wedge to reach the green from the tee and then use your putter...pitch and putt. But the thing is....in ball golf, you would rarely ever use a putter to tee off (some trick shot players might do it.....but you will probably never see it in a real round). In disc golf, a putter is just a disc that is mainly used for putting, but can also (and is also) used for tee shots. So, in disc golf, there really isn't anything like a pitch and putt course as you could use a putter for almost every tee shot. Instead of pitch and putt, we disc golfers should use the term putter only course and even that is stretching it as some putters can go 200 feet or more (per Marshall Street's Flight Guide the Polecat - 1 speed - can reach 67 meters/219 feet). Instead of putter courses, putter only rounds is a better choice - but even 'putter' would have to be defined....are 4 speeds allowed? What is the 'high limit' for a true putter speed? I know someone who regularly putts with a 5 speed disc...that is their putter, would it be allowed in a putter only round?

The issue is that we steal/take terminology from ball golf and it doesn't always relate to disc golf.

I think we can appreciate that pitch n putt comes from golf while only adhering to the general idea when adapting it to disc golf.

For me, a pitch n' putt wouldn't only be the discs used, for example lack of drivers, but should also incorporate the idea that, more often than not, a standstill stance without a run-up necessary to reach circle 1/2.

Latest posts