• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wheelchair Friendly disc golf courses in Atlanta, GA?

JBCHyzer

Bogey Member
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to play my first real round of disc golf (super excited!:D), but as of yet have been unable to find any info on which courses here in Atlanta, Georgia are the most friendly to people who use wheelchairs, like myself.

Just curious, but what kind of wheelchair do you have? I mean, what kind of terrain is off limits? One of the things I love about disc golf is all the different kinds of people you see playing it. Unfortunately, I will admit that wheelchair accessibility is one area where the sport has lots of room for improvement. If you can handle flat grassy areas, I'm sure there's some of those courses out there. Other than that, it can get tough to find something. I do feel like in areas with 10+ courses, there isn't much of an excuse to not have at least one or two courses that are more accessible (providing the area actually has some flat land).

Just curious, but what kind of wheelchair do you have? I mean, what kind of terrain is off limits? One of the things I love about disc golf is all the different kinds of people you see playing it. Unfortunately, I will admit that wheelchair accessibility is one area where the sport has lots of room for improvement. If you can handle flat grassy areas, I'm sure there's some of those courses out there. Other than that, it can get tough to find something. I do feel like in areas with 10+ courses, there isn't much of an excuse to not have at least one or two courses that are more accessible (providing the area actually has some flat land).

My wheelchair is an Invacare Ranger X, so grassy areas are OK (it's powered). However, depending on grass height, that can be an issue.

Most other terrain I have no problems with either, but your response is exactly why I started this thread. I do agree that the sport of disc golf has great room for improvement in terms of accessibility for those who may use mobility devices such as wheelchairs.

It's tough to say without having played the area myself, but found a few that might be possible. Village Green https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=588, Euharlee Elementary School https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8360, and the private Legacy Park https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5422. From the pictures, they look mostly flat and free of obstacles in the fairway. You'd probably need someone else to get your disc if it goes in the brush off the fairway (which happens at some point to all of us :D), but they might be worth checking out.

OP. That's gotta be exciting to look forward to your first round.

Have you thrown in the past or.... what's the deal? You just gonna go out cold and throw?

OP. That's gotta be exciting to look forward to your first round.

Have you thrown in the past or.... what's the deal? You just gonna go out cold and throw?

Yes, trifocal, this will be my first real round. I only got really into the sport over the summer (my cousin had been playing for a couple of year and he wanted me to try it).

So yes, as you put it, I will most likely be going out cold and throwing.

You've said first real round a couple times. Makes me wonder bout stuff.

Have you thrown Frisbees or golf discs at all?
I'm secretly hoping you're a prodigy that throws 500 feet from a sitting position.

lol.... thinking bout all the DGCR experts offering advice to a guy throwing from a chair.

I wish you the best, JBC. This is awesome for you.
I'm thinking that maybe you might have an umbrella fixture installed on your chair and then you could
play in the shade.:cool:

I would say Lenora Park is pretty wheelchair friendly. No bridges or downed trees, and it's mostly open (grass). Gwinnett County does a pretty good job on course maintenance. Alexander Park isn't too bad. There is one walkway over a ravine (Hole 7) but you can go around it and other than that its pretty good.

You've said first real round a couple times. Makes me wonder bout stuff.

Have you thrown Frisbees or golf discs at all?
I'm secretly hoping you're a prodigy that throws 500 feet from a sitting position.

lol.... thinking bout all the DGCR experts offering advice to a guy throwing from a chair.

I wish you the best, JBC. This is awesome for you.
I'm thinking that maybe you might have an umbrella fixture installed on your chair and then you could
play in the shade.:cool:

Yeah....good observation.

While it is true that this is my first time throwing golf discs, I am very familiar with a Frisbee's flight dynamics. Perhaps a better phrasing would have "my first real 18-hole round" because I've thrown a couple of short practice rounds.

I would say Lenora Park is pretty wheelchair friendly. No bridges or downed trees, and it's mostly open (grass). Gwinnett County does a pretty good job on course maintenance. Alexander Park isn't too bad. There is one walkway over a ravine (Hole 7) but you can go around it and other than that its pretty good.

Yes, Lenora immediately came to my mind, though I haven't been there in years. I remember it as wide open, well-cut grass, gentle elevation....though school courses would likely be shorter, and perhaps a better place to start.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to play my first real round of disc golf (super excited!:D), but as of yet have been unable to find any info on which courses here in Atlanta, Georgia are the most friendly to people who use wheelchairs, like myself.

I know it's way too far away, but if you ever travel to Dallas, on the way is Brighton park in Clinton Mississippi. It is 1 minute off of I-20 and has a walking track. Each tee pad is a few feet to the right of the walking track. So you could just tee off from the walking track and it's pretty flat terrain and is lit at night from lights circling the track. I lived in Atlanta for 6 years but only started back playing my last year that I lived there. So I only wound up playing about a hand full of courses. There are many more new courses around the ATL than when I left in 2008. In Shreveport Louisiana, Ford park is flat and is about 7 minutes off of I-20. Good luck enjoying your first full round.:hfive:

Last edited:
My wife is in a wheelchair, sometimes she accompanies me on my disc golf rounds. We bought one of these:

extreme_x8-01__08686.1393031991.1280.1280__87160.1469829534.500.659.jpg

Here's the website:

http://www.mobility-usa.com/extreme-x8--4x4.html

This puppy will climb a 30 degree slope.

Latest posts