• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] wierd type of plastic

iDisc

Par Member
my friend a few months back bought a "Champion Teebird" from some party store that was an innova dealer. it was orange and it said Champion Teebird in the same fashion as a normal champion disc but the disc didnt look like a champion plastic disc. it looked like a star disc but it was more flippy toward the center. the disc was all orange, it said it was made out of champion plastic but it didnt have the same feel as champion or star plastic. what is the deal with disc? has anyone had a disc like this? why isnt it see through? any thoughts or answers would be awesome

I have an orange champ t-bird and it is the same way ... the center isn't clear its opaque. It's still the same champ plastic though.

The "original" Champ plastic when it first came out was not clear at all, so chances are that it is an older version. I still carry a lot of the "older versions" in my bag....the plastic holds up very well!

Innova's latest mix of champion plastic (12x) is opaque, but it's not the same durability as the original blend ("champion edition"), and in my experience with it, it produces discs that are less stable than usual...at least that's how all the 12x Teebirds I had flew.

Awesome! thanks guys, i like the look of the "opaque" plastic better than normal champ, i might have to try this out

Awesome! thanks guys, i like the look of the "opaque" plastic better than normal champ, i might have to try this out

If the stamp is still there, you can look at it to tell if you have an 11-time (11x) or 12-time (12x) Teebird...so you'll know what exactly you're looking for if you try to find a replacement or back-ups.

Here's a sample pic of an 11-time Champ Teebird:
11x Champion Teebird

Right below Ken Climo's signature, it says "Eleven Time Disc Golf World Champion" (which is where the "11x" comes from). Most of the 11x plastic was translucent and fairly stiff, but some of the later 11x was a bit more opaque, like the one pictured above. The current run (12x) is almost completely opaque and a bit softer-feeling in the hand.

From the feedback I've heard, it seems that most people prefer the translucent 11x Teebirds because they tend to have more high-speed stability....and since they aren't in production any longer, they're starting to become more and more rare.

Dang...feeling old now, went through my "retired" discs...had a 9X and a 10X Champ. teebird in there...

Latest posts