• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does disc golf have 'template holes?

hanger129

Par Member
In ball golf course design, there is a concept of 'template holes'. Basically a set of design principles are applied when designing a hole and therefore make it a {insert template hole name} hole. A little bit more about template holes can be found here: https://thefriedegg.com/category/architecture/the-templates/.

Does disc golf have template holes? The two most common I can think of are the island hole and the tunnel shot. Both pretty straightforward and not particularly interesting from a design stand point. Are there any other hole designs that are commonly used, especially on championship caliber courses?

Last edited:
In ball golf course design, there is a concept of 'template holes'. Basically a set of design principles are applied when designing a hole and therefore make it a {insert template hole name} hole. A little bit more about template holes can be found here: https://thefriedegg.com/category/architecture/the-templates/.

Does disc golf have template holes? The two most common I can think of are the island hole and the tunnel shot. Both pretty straightforward and not particularly interesting from a design stand point. Are there any other hole designs that are commonly used, especially on championship caliber courses?

Another I can think of for Championship caliber courses is the top of the world hole like at De Laveaga one of the oldest like this still around with other courses copying the top of the world type hole. One used used in National and Pro tour quite a bit is the hole with tight landing on other side due to out of bounds lines where you have to go over water, no choice. That hole type is used for more then one course in National and Pro Tour. One I see quite a bit is the Hidden basket by large tree near the basket.

As a veteran designer, I think more along the lines of templates for complete courses for skill levels, influenced by the terrain, versus templates for holes. Consider that in ball golf, they have the budget and permission to shape the terrain to approximate various hole templates. In disc golf, it's uncommon to have the budget and permission to create proposed template holes by adding elements. We're usually more like sculptors, removing or trimming terrain elements, primarily foliage, than painters adding elements.

My goal is to design as much variety in shot types required and hole length range with the available terrain to have a reasonably well-balanced course overall. So rather than a simple template hole that turns to the left, I might have several varieties such as short uphill slight turn, long par 4 bomber on flat ground that continuously turns, a short downhill with pin tucked just in the trees to the left, etc. You could think of these examples as template holes but I might not use a right bending or straight version of one of them just to meet some template guideline. I might gain variety and balance in a unique way.

Where disc golf has templates is pin placements. Examples being completely open in C1, pin with two or three trees spaced apart but close to it, pin on backside of slope, pin on top of slope, pin on side slope, pin near OB, elevated basket, ground basket, pin in depression, etc.

There's a template somewhere for holes that go straight with dense woods bordering both sides of the fairway, then have a basket tucked in a clearing cut in the woods on one side or the other. I've played a hundred of these.

Was about to post this same question when I found this old thread, so maybe I can revive it!

I Love a good Par 4 that goes woods - clearing - woods. If you hit your targets a birdie is very reasonable, but one miss, or bad placement in the field makes you question whether you should take on a hero shot.

There's a template somewhere for holes that go straight with dense woods bordering both sides of the fairway, then have a basket tucked in a clearing cut in the woods on one side or the other. I've played a hundred of these.
I've played a bunch of that type too. I wonder how many were the result of using existing paths/access roads for the fairway. I agree that they seem very common, at least in the courses I've played.

Latest posts