• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul Ulibarri’s Power Disc Golf Academy

acrosley

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
https://www.powerdga.com/

Looks like Uli took a page out of Stokely's book and started himself an online academy. I like his down the fairway series on YouTube and this looks a lot more in depth.

Anyone have any experience with this or other online instruction type deals? I know Sidewinders great at providing form feedback and has helped a lot of us but I'm curious if this and/or Stokelys academy are worth looking into. I'd imagine it probably is if you're willing to put in the effort?

I think you've got to think a bit about how you learn and give yourself enough time to arrive where you want. I'd guess that many people want a quick fix and may repeat this pattern of breakthrough moments, but with many sports etc. you can improve quickly for a while and then plateau. Paul seems genuinely funny and his language is easy to relate to for me. I'm not his customer, though, because I have seen myself learn and feel strongly that I'll make it to a certain point sorting the good advice from the bad, but mostly I expect to grind it out over 4-6 years before I'm really facing down the wall—where my basic form is OK but arm speed and consistency remain challenges.

The only issue I see is that you are evaluating yourself. How do you know if you are actually doing what he is teaching? For me, there is nothing like having the instructor right there to correct any mistakes.

Does the 'membership' include being able to send in videos for his review/feedback?

I'm not a likely tagret audience, however, I am really glad to see this as the initial part of the training:

MODULE 1: Rules and Etiquette

Basic Rules
Advanced Rules that can help you
Basic Etiquette

Yay!! Good on you Uli!

https://www.powerdga.com/

Looks like Uli took a page out of Stokely's book and started himself an online academy. I like his down the fairway series on YouTube and this looks a lot more in depth.

Anyone have any experience with this or other online instruction type deals? I know Sidewinders great at providing form feedback and has helped a lot of us but I'm curious if this and/or Stokelys academy are worth looking into. I'd imagine it probably is if you're willing to put in the effort?

Shoestring tried it years ago and his never went anywhere.
He's posted a few video's again lately like he was going to start it up again though.

I really regret giving him money back then when he started it, because these courses cannot provide to you what experienced form reviewers or personal coaches can.

We can all pitch in $1, someone buys it, and posts them all here?

so what sets this apart from the million other free videos on youtube

Really just the time saved in searching everything down and sorting good from bad advice, as well as getting consistent advice from a single source. I debated signing up, but in the end decided to save my cash to put toward a few in-person lessons with a local pro.

I took the plunge, $50 for lifetime access seemed reasonable. So far I am not impressed by the FB online community. The guy he paired up with seems a bit like a snake oil salesman, and ignored my question on if he actually plays disc golf. I see he is not a PDGA member but that doesn't mean anything necessarily. So far the FB group seems like a marketing schtick for Discraft.

If I'm able to get some decent content over the next year or so it might be worth it.

I got in for $50 and watched all the videos, and keep watching new ones as they come in. I like them, and I think they're well done, and will help some people who practice what is taught.