• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 days of San Francisco Disc Golf

Upshawt1979

Bogey Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I will be in the bay area for a few days next week, and have two days where I want to get a few new courses in weather permitting. I have never been there before, so tell me about the disc golf scene, good eats, or whatever else in San Fran, Santa Cruz, Novato, Santa Rosa, and Napa. Looking at Stafford Lake, Taylor Mountain and Skyline one day, and Golden Gate/DeLaveaga on the other. I would like to hear from anyone who is familiar with any or all of these courses. Course tips or guidance of any kind, travel advice, and other general info is welcome. I haven't rented a car yet, but probably will. Also willing to pay gas and lunch if anyone might want to be a disc golf uber on the 16th and 17th of October and join the road trippin.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

Sounds fun, if I weren't out of town I'd love to help out, at least for 1/2 of Sunday.

I can't offer all that much as Taylor Mountain is my home course but I still haven't made it to Skyline, GG or Dela.

Few pointers. Dela and Stafford are long and will take a lot longer to get through. Stafford is rough to play the first time alone, I wish I had contacts I could shoot your way. UFOSDG on facebook you might be able to post a message and get someone to play with. The baskets were all put in the long position for a tournament a couple weeks ago, I hope they've moved some back to the "usual" locations since as a few holes the longs are kinda silly. A few confusing tee placements early and blind holes early as well can ruin the experience. 2-5 could use spotters or experienced local. after that a bit more clear.
If you are doing Stafford, Taylor and Skyline do it in that order and start early. They all can be windy in the afternoon and Stafford gets the most. I'd start pretty early. Be prepared to hike. All three have significant elevation, Taylor less so but still uphill or down hill on every hole, the only ones that are flat are playing on a side slope. Taylor will have the most people playing on a Sunday probably, everything from huge groups of chuckers to super mellow locals that are also pretty good. Drive between the three might be longer than expected and traffic headed back south in the afternoon can be horrible.
plenty of breweries and good eats around. The Russian River Brewing company is always a destination just a few minutes from Taylor, but also generally packed on Sundays... or every day actually.
Lagunitas in Petaluma could be hit on the way in, they sell Lagunitas stamped discs as well, usually Aviars or Rocs

Golden Gate has a pretty good club and the reviews are pretty spot on as far as busy on the weekends not as much weekday mornings. I wish I could help more on the Santa Cruz Dela Side of that but still a destination trip for me.

Latest posts