• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2010 St. Louis Open

Coldpunk1

Birdie Member
Alright I've done a little lurking on the stl message boards and it looks like they're changing it up this year. It looks like they're going to add rock springs to the courses played this year for the lower divisions. Who's going? Has anyone played rock springs?

The Club lost Creve Coeur on Saturday and Endicott on Sunday, so they added Rocksprings to cover. Get those pavilion reservations in on time, folks! At any rate, Rocksprings is going to cover for both courses, so everybody is playing it, Sioux Passage and Jefferson Barracks. The lower divisions get to avoid the boring flat Hell that is Creve Coeur, the big boys are going to skip Endicott.

Rocksprings I think is a bit like Endicott...not fantastic but better than average. When I played there they had some storm damage and the grass was really high, but the design seemed pretty solid. It's a damn site better than Creve Coeur at any rate. It's not a bad drive from Sioux Passage, so playing those course on one day is not bad.

Nikko grew up next to Endicott and destroys that course. Open is not playing Endicott, and the last I heard he said he wasn't going to play if he wasn't playing Endicott. Fun and games, fun and games. I heard they are going to pimp out Creve Coeur with yellow rope to try to make something out of it. Personally I think they should just drop a nuke on it and call it a day, but whatever.

Working Stiff said:
The Club lost Creve Coeur...The lower divisions get to avoid the boring flat Hell that is Creve Coeur...It's a damn site better than Creve Coeur at any rate...I heard they are going to pimp out Creve Coeur with yellow rope to try to make something out of it. Personally I think they should just drop a nuke on it and call it a day, but whatever.

Lots of love for Creve Coeur! Too bad that's the only course I've played in the St Louis area.

Haha! I'm actually disappointedy division isn't playing it. I usually do very well there. I wish they had put quail ridge in instead of this Illinois course that I haven't played. It's going to be a great time though despite the course change. I love coming down to stl for the open.

There was a lot of sentiment for Creve Bore to be dropped for Rockspring before the scheduling difficulty made it happen. The was a "plastic politics" reason why they were not going to when they had options. Then they ran out of options.

Rockspring is a much better course than Cupcake Ridge IMO. To use Cucpcake Ridge you would have to throw off the unmarked, unkept dirt blue tees and hope it didn't rain. Rockspring has good tees. That and the fact that Cupcake Ridge is almost closer to Albert Oakland than it is to Jefferson Barracks made it a poor choice for the Open. You are going to like Rockspring, trust me.

The players pack looks good, the players party sounds organized, it should be a good time.

Working Stiff said:
There was a lot of sentiment for Creve Bore to be dropped for Rockspring before the scheduling difficulty made it happen. The was a "plastic politics" reason why they were not going to when they had options. Then they ran out of options.

Rockspring is a much better course than Cupcake Ridge IMO. To use Cucpcake Ridge you would have to throw off the unmarked, unkept dirt blue tees and hope it didn't rain. Rockspring has good tees. That and the fact that Cupcake Ridge is almost closer to Albert Oakland than it is to Jefferson Barracks made it a poor choice for the Open. You are going to like Rockspring, trust me.

The players pack looks good, the players party sounds organized, it should be a good time.

The stl open is always a blast. You're right on about quail too, those short tees are easy. I'm from Columbia and end up playing quail or endicott the most due to their proximity to the airport. Everytime I fly out of stl I play one of the two. Any word on just how awesome the players packs are going to be this year? I can't remember what all was in the pack last year but I remember a shirt, e warrior, r pro aviar, a sparkle dga driver, a mini, a carabiner, and some snack mix.

The first 100 pre-registered get Dryfit shirts and the rest will get T-shirts similar to the past years. Discs are a First Run Makos from Innova, a Nuke from Discraft, and some as of yet unidentified Gateway Disc. They will also throw in a STL Club logo window sticker and the full color programs and scorecards from the event. That's what I heard so far.

so what courses are the pros actually playing? ive been pre'regged since the thing went online to allow sign ups. of course I will be disappointed to not play endicott, I heard this was the best course in STL. Ive never played anything there. Going to try some of the courses out friday before the tourney.

even though we aren't playing endicott ive heard this is a good tourney, so im looking forward to it

pdorries said:
so what courses are the pros actually playing?
Sioux Passage and Rocksprings on Saturday, Jefferson Barracks and Creve Coeur on Sunday. Creve Coeur is supposed to be tricked out with rope OB and such to keep you awake.

Endicott might be my favorite STL course, but it's not the best. Other than Creve Coeur, you are going to like the courses.

I suppose it will be interesting to see what they do. Creve Coeur apparently lost more trees this winter and it's even more open and boring than before (if you can believe that!) Honestly I wouldn't know. I have not been to Creve Coeur since 2007. Somehow I always seem to find someplace better to throw when I'm back in the Lou.

I'm not sure where I heard this (and I might just be making it up) but my understanding is that Creve Coeur has finally lost so many trees and gotten so ridiculously open that the Club is working with the County to buy some trees to plant out there. Maybe that will help down the road.

I guess Nikko finally decided he would play after all. It's kinda funny, kinda sad...St. Louis always manages to generate some internal drama. It doesn't seem to hurt the event, though. It should be a good show. I heard they will have Champ Katanas and Crystal Buzzz for sale if you were looking for those.