• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Aussie Open DGWT Event Discussion

Ermac010

Figured I would start an opposite thread not about whether it should be a major or not. Any thoughts or predictions?

I watched the 2015 Aussie Open this morning and had a question about the course. Since it's a DGWT event does this mean that Jussi will setup a new layout ? Are all DGWT events setup so Jussi has final say on course layout except USDGC)? While the course back in 2015 looked great, I found it kind of boring after a while from a pure spectator stand point, it just seemed VERY repetitive. It didn't seem like it was very challenging for the pros either. I've always applauded Jussi for the toughness of the course layouts he designed for the DGWT events last year. They all really challenged and pushed the pros.

Last edited:
I know that was sarcasm, but even so, even if it were a legit 5-star course here, with a ton of reviews, it wouldn't mean that it was set up particularly well for top pros in a showcase event. Which I think was the question posed.

I know that was sarcasm, but even so, even if it were a legit 5-star course here, with a ton of reviews, it wouldn't mean that it was set up particularly well for top pros in a showcase event. Which I think was the question posed.

While I agree that the course is fairly boring, for what it is, a ball golf course, they've done a better than average job. They've utilized the elements available to make tough greens and add other challenges. Again, boring but better than some. And of course, did they mention, it's in Australia mate?

Jussi made some mods in the events last year, but I wouldn't count on anything substantial based on what I saw. Most of the changes were meant to keep things moving,

All I care about is whether he will change 13 and 18, or have the courage to call them par 2s.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Aussie20151318.jpg
    Aussie20151318.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 634
Sweet graphics Steve. I'd be hard pressed, at this point, to not be annoyed if they aren't modified.

Sweet graphics Steve. I'd be hard pressed, at this point, to not be annoyed if they aren't modified.

I wouldn't be annoyed at all. He's doing so much work already I wouldn't ask for even one additional task.

Besides, #18 - with its even split of the higher scores between 3s and 4s - has a nice scoring spread; I wouldn't want to mess with it. For #13, it probably couldn't hurt to do something to it .

And, Jussi sets par better than almost anyone else, so even if he doesn't change these or call them par 2 his total course par is still sensible.

I'm just interested in seeing what he does, not suggesting he should do it.

While I agree that the course is fairly boring, for what it is, a ball golf course, they've done a better than average job. They've utilized the elements available to make tough greens and add other challenges. Again, boring but better than some. And of course, did they mention, it's in Australia mate?

Jussi made some mods in the events last year, but I wouldn't count on anything substantial based on what I saw. Most of the changes were meant to keep things moving,

What do you mean about it being in Australia?

Americans live to work. The Australians I know claim that they work to live. I view that as a healthy philosophy. Nate, it was meant as a compliment. If it was offensive, I apologize.

I meant the wording off it...like its good enough for Australia, or its awesome because its in Australia. You said it, I wanted to know what was meant by it...no need to be a smart alec is there?

I wouldn't be annoyed at all. He's doing so much work already I wouldn't ask for even one additional task.

Besides, #18 - with its even split of the higher scores between 3s and 4s - has a nice scoring spread; I wouldn't want to mess with it. For #13, it probably couldn't hurt to do something to it .

And, Jussi sets par better than almost anyone else, so even if he doesn't change these or call them par 2 his total course par is still sensible.

I'm just interested in seeing what he does, not suggesting he should do it.

There has been enough discussion of the par 2 par 3 issue that I admit, for an event at this level, I have higher expectations. It isn't on Jussi to solve the problem, it's on us to have a higher expectation.

I meant the wording off it...like its good enough for Australia, or its awesome because its in Australia. You said it, I wanted to know what was meant by it...no need to be a smart alec is there?

Didn't mean to come off that way. More like you're lucky to be playing disc golf in a great place.

I work to help pay for my course and the work I do on it when Im not at my day job.

Sadly with so many pros coming 'down under' none seem open to travelling to courses to promote the sport and try a new challenge...even with transport and accomodation taken care off. Outside of Perth this event isnt impacting the rest of us at all...with nz a week later half are leaving right away.

I work to help pay for my course and the work I do on it when Im not at my day job.

Sadly with so many pros coming 'down under' none seem open to travelling to courses to promote the sport and try a new challenge...even with transport and accomodation taken care off. Outside of Perth this event isnt impacting the rest of us at all...with nz a week later half are leaving right away.

Nate, I will come down and promote the sport if my transport and accomodations are taken care of. I'm not a pro, and no one has ever heard of me, but the Pirate Life IIPA's will be on me! :)

I consider it good fortune that dg is seriously global now. Back in the early days seeing the folks coming over from europe really made you think, like wow the sport was touching far away places. Now we don't think anything of it, that people in Europe are so gung ho about dg.

Give it time Nate. You'll be amazed at how fast it catches on in your country too.

Last edited:

Latest posts