• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Pro Earnings

I would think the Big Sexy stamped discs that have been flying off the shelves also benefit mostly the Big and the Sexy, respectively, and to a lesser degree, Jomez Pro.

I wouldn't think the commentary is paying either Nate or Jerm much in comparison to everything else, but is more about name exposure. If they do a majority of the commentary for Jomez, how many people are recognizing the name who hadn't before. I'm sure a little cash doesn't hurt, but being connected to Jomez is more about growing your personal brand in my opinion.

As far as who's making over 100k combined, here are my guesses not in particular order...

McBeth (pretty obvious why)
Ricky (no brainer again)
Sexton (won a decent amount and a ton of firebirds sold)
Simon (I'd bet DM locked him up with a big contract to be their face plus signature disc sales)

I think the fifth is the most interesting...and I'm not sure who I'd pick as a lock. Could be Jerm based on tour series disc sales, could be Paige she killed it with wins, could be Eagle won a fair amount and signature disc sales, i could see Doss being fairly high up there as well. I think what makes that fifth worth talking about is the combination of winnings, contract, and disc sales needed to get over that hump. I don't think the 4 i mentioned above really surprise anybody.

I know that was the announcement after Pro Tour Championship, and that Big Sexy would sign 25 of them, They are still up on the jomez store.

I think the earnings are just more top heavy. If you add up the top 20-30 in MPO the difference isn't huge and is still essentially still the same money just trading hands between pros. It is still the top 5-10 that are making a living off just playing. The top 10 in the women's fields can barely afford to stay on tour if you read some of their commentary. There is a reason a lot of players go back to being regional pros with real careers after 2-3 years on tour.

I wouldnt count on it in the near future. Individual players sponsorships are more likely at this time. Though, at some point I would think one of the Energy/Sports drink companies will get involved...

...of course I think I said that on here a couple eyars ago.:|

What's a "new" product that is just now starting to become mainstream across the USA? That's right, marijuana. And who smokes lots of pot? That's right, disc golfers.

I predict that as more states legalize pot there will be a *$&^ton of cash flowing from pot growing/distributing companies.

Which pro will be the 1st to get the lucrative sponsorship? Just imagine the commercials.

Would the PDGA even allow that?... I don't think you are allowed to wear clothes that have drug symbols on them at big events are you?

Actually I guess not. The Comp Manuel only restricts juniors from wearing drug or alcohol related clothing...

Last edited:
I wouldn't think the commentary is paying either Nate or Jerm much in comparison to everything else, but is more about name exposure. If they do a majority of the commentary for Jomez, how many people are recognizing the name who hadn't before. I'm sure a little cash doesn't hurt, but being connected to Jomez is more about growing your personal brand in my opinion.

Nate and Jerm might get a little extra money from Innova to do commentary, or at least they should. When I am in the mood to watch disc golf on Youtube I go to Jomez and the first thing I check when I open a video is who is commentating.

I can see those two becoming the "voice of disc golf" because their commentary is so much better then everyone else's. If disc golf coverage ever takes off then those two could start making some good money on commentating.

What's a "new" product that is just now starting to become mainstream across the USA? That's right, marijuana. And who smokes lots of pot? That's right, disc golfers.

I predict that as more states legalize pot there will be a *$&^ton of cash flowing from pot growing/distributing companies.

Which pro will be the 1st to get the lucrative sponsorship? Just imagine the commercials.

Thank God that isn't true here in East Tennessee. The pot heads here are so stoned they cant move past the fridge.

Nate and Jerm might get a little extra money from Innova to do commentary, or at least they should. When I am in the mood to watch disc golf on Youtube I go to Jomez and the first thing I check when I open a video is who is commentating.

I can see those two becoming the "voice of disc golf" because their commentary is so much better then everyone else's. If disc golf coverage ever takes off then those two could start making some good money on commentating.

I know. These last two seasons have spoiled me so that I really almost never watch uncommentated play by play video anymore. If there are two to choose from, one with commentary by fun guys, with next-to-nobodies playing vs. top pros playing but no commentary.... weeeel I might watch the pros too, but its a long shot.

Earnings are only part of the equation. I assume Paul and Ricky at least get a lot of the travel costs/entry fees covered? I bet their tax returns are a PITA to complete.

Currently at $180 a pop. His frequent commentary partner isn't far behind.

Man, you gluttons for punishment. It's shocking people support them when they actively mocked viewers during commentary throughout the second half of this year.

I'd like to see more women given these opportunities. Elaine King gives the best commentary, hands down.

Last edited:
Man, you gluttons for punishment. It's shocking people support them when they actively mocked viewers during commentary throughout the second half of this year.

I'd like to see more women given these opportunities. Elaine King gives the best commentary, hands down.

This is the kind of thing you back up with proof or keep it to yourself...

I don't personally support Nate or Jerm's patreon, primarily because I don't really watch tournament videos much. I would if I did though. That said, people are free to patronize whomever they want. I'm assuming the people pledging money enjoy the videos and aren't insulted by whatever mocking you claim they're doing. You, of course, are free to not pledge any money to them if you don't think it's worth it.

I am with you on seeing more women given commentary opportunities. The roadblock's there are unfortunate though. Few women's rounds get covered, which would be ideal opportunities for female commentary. And most men's round commentaries, especially the next day videos, are generally recorded in the morning the day after the round...when most of the top events (NTs, DGPTs, etc) have the women playing their rounds. Tough to record commentary and make your tee time simultaneously.

That's fair. Point is we're still way closer to 95 disc golf money than 2017 PGA money. In that comparison, we've barely moved the needle.

I'm not sure I agree...

Apparently, Steady Ed founded DGA and installed the "first official disc golf course" in 1976, though the game "technically" existed since 1929.

Based on that data, disc golf is only 41-88 years old depending on your definition of origin. But is "officially" 41 years old. Taking an even smaller sample size of 22 years (1995 - 2017) disc golf earnings have actually increased (on average) about 6% YOY from 1995 - 2017.

Obviously, a lot of that growth is back-loaded. Meaning, I don't believe the earnings changed much from 1995 - 2010. Since 2010, the sport has exploded in terms of players, courses, PDGA members, and manufacturers. So, much of that growth has come in the last 5-7 years. As a result, the earnings have increased close to 110% YOY in that time.

The PGA was founded in 1929 but "golf as we know it today originated from a game plated in Scotland during the 15th century (1497)". So, traditional golf is over 500 years old. If disc golf continues to grow at the current rate, disc golfers will start to see "2017 PGA money" far sooner than 500 years from now.

I still wouldn't quit my day job, but the market is certainly promising...

I can see those two becoming the "voice of disc golf" because their commentary is so much better than everyone else's. If disc golf coverage ever takes off then those two could start making some good money on commentating.

I agree and think that is Big & Sexy's exit strategy. They can do commentary from virtually anywhere and don't have to rely on the rigorous touring schedule and diminished purses of the masters & grandmasters divisions once they reach that age. And, as outlined above, the growth rate of the sport will see more need for media coverage and commentary.

I am with you on seeing more women given commentary opportunities. The roadblock's there are unfortunate though. Few women's rounds get covered, which would be ideal opportunities for female commentary. And most men's round commentaries, especially the next day videos, are generally recorded in the morning the day after the round...when most of the top events (NTs, DGPTs, etc) have the women playing their rounds. Tough to record commentary and make your tee time simultaneously.

I think these are minor logistical issues that can be easily solved with proper planning. The bigger problem is that none of the women are good commentators... Don't get me wrong, many of the men are awful as well (Ulibari, Eagle, Simon, Paul, Conrad, etc.). So, the women need a better representative in the broadcast booth...

As much as I enjoy Big Sexy commentary, it was nice to get some variety in there at the beginning of the season before it became carved out as Jerm and Nate's niche. I liked Barsby commentary and appreciate insights from players like Paul and Simon. Most players get better at commentary with the more practice they get doing it. Exhibit A is Jerm, who has improved immensely in his commentary throughout 2017. Can't get practice without opportunity. Everyone clamoring for only Nate and Jerm commentary reduces opportunities for everyone else.

Also, shoutout for CCDG commentary, which has been solid forever.