• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

50 bucks, what to get?

coogs

Par Member
Just as the title says, I've got 50 bucks to burn and know that I want to spend it on discs.

Thanks to Blake's articles, I have a very well-rounded bag with many back-ups and discs in various stages of wear, so this is not an issue of necessity -- I just want to try something new.

Believe it or not, I've never owned a teebird, so I'm thinking about getting a few in DX, but I have no idea what else to try. What would be some other good discs that you feel I should familiarize myself with?

domromer said:
Maybe tell us what you already have :)

Yeah, guess that would've helped. :oops:

The discs I throw the most are beasts, rocs, and aviars. I've got some orcs, a sidewinder, some monsters, and even a birdie (don't laugh; they work well with the disc-phobic baskets on my home course).

It's all Innova only because I'm used to it, so I'm open to some Discraft stuff.

domromer said:
JLS
ZXL
Gazelle
Wizard
Avenger
Tbird
Blowfly

I would say the same, but no jls and make the gazelle a cyclone ;-)

Technically it's Innova-ish, but the SOLF's sound like they are worth a try. I read a post from Blake that they don't have any equivalent in the Innova line.

Call up the guys at gateway. the website is www.gdstour.com they have misprint specials for super cheap. just tell them you don't throw there stuff and see what would work for you. they usually even throw in some free stuff.

Glock.... I just hat a seizure... I am blaming your AVATAR... What is your lawyer's phone number?

I was just going to make a thread like this. So instead of taking up space I am going to hijack yours :eek:. I have $50 to spend to, here is my bag:
Gazelle
Leopard
Teebird
Valk
Aviar/ Wizard
Roc
Firebird

I also have some other disc but there is no need to mention those. I was thinking of trying the FLX Buzz anyone else get their hand on one yet?

I'm hardly an authority on disc selection, but I think you have a well-balanced bag there jmammo. : )

Get the 5 misprint Wizard deal. : )

Glock.... I just hat a seizure... I am blaming your AVATAR... What is your lawyer's phone number?

I am so sorry. His # is 1-800-BITE-ME :lol: Only joking of course!

Lol, I thought the avatar was funny. I can change it if it really is bugging you.

It would seem that before just randomly buying anything, you'd think about what you'd like to experiment with first...

Me... I'd leave putters out (unless you're failing with your current one). If you have something that works, not much point in switching.

What distance are you looking to throw? <300 or >300. That'll shake out a few discs.

Do you have a larger or smaller hand. A lot of folks don't like the wider rim discs because of the size of their hand. If you haven't thrown one, it might be a reason to try one of them, just to see how they feel. That's a select group of discs.

How is your arm speed? Is it worth investing in some of the really super, duper fast discs if you're really not going to get the benefit from them? (Me, I answer yes, but I'm an addict and my game suffers because of it)

How do you feel about your midrange discs? If you're a Roc lover like so many folks around here, there really isn't any point in picking up discs that are covered by a Roc unless you surmise that if you like it better, you might pull the Roc out. I'm still struggling with trying to like the Roc more than my Wasps.

If you can figure out some of those, it might help you narrow down which type of discs you're really looking for and you might get a larger selection of the same discs -- this might indicate what the favorites are and give you more confidence in the purchase :)

For example, in my collection, probably 60% of my discs are of the super/high speed driver variety. I can throw them, but I'm not breaking 400' and I don't believe it's in my best interest to throw them at the moment. What I need are some of the older molds (eagle, teebird, etc.) to practice with and work up to the faster discs. Dunno if you have a hole in your collection (hopefully smaller) that you might want to fill or experiment with, but that's a suggestion too.

Sorry about the long post and no disc recommendations.

With $50.00 to spend, just buy stuff that is really cool. Like:

A few Dx TeeBirds - Very good disc to have.

Flx Buzzz - Worth trying new plastic right?

Save up for a Basket?

P.S. I LOVE THAT AVATAR GLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you both just need lots of wizards, you wont regret it :twisted:

both seem to be fairly complete bags. I would agree that unless there is a particular disc that doesnt seem to be working for what you need it for maybe look for something else for that slot. If your happy with all of them then buy extras, maybe try different weights. If your doing field practice regularly you can never have enough extras of the things your like to throw, it will optimize your time with less walking and more throwing. I try to spend most of my practice time putting so I like to have as many wizards as I can get my hands on.

a basket is a good idea too. you can get the instep 100 basket on ebay for about 90$ shipped.

swel304 said:
I think you both just need lots of wizards, you wont regret it :twisted:

both seem to be fairly complete bags. I would agree that unless there is a particular disc that doesnt seem to be working for what you need it for maybe look for something else for that slot. If your happy with all of them then buy extras, maybe try different weights. If your doing field practice regularly you can never have enough extras of the things your like to throw, it will optimize your time with less walking and more throwing. I try to spend most of my practice time putting so I like to have as many wizards as I can get my hands on.

a basket is a good idea too. you can get the instep 100 basket on ebay for about 90$ shipped.

I think swel is right, you needs lots and lots of wizards, I think somebody is selling them for 10$, thats a bargain at twice the price!

Latest posts