• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A tale of 2 wraiths

greenjeans

Bought a star wraith a few weeks back - 163 gram kinda yellowish/pink. Love it. So, I figure I'd go back and buy another and rotate them.
Same weight (163) but bright yellow. I bought these at the same store and the discs came from the same shipment - this particular store sells a ton of discs and usually re-loads about 2 or 3 times per season.
The discs are noticeably different. The Yellow is what I would consider "floppy" - noticeably less "stiff" than the one I purchased first. The distance is about 10-15ft shorter on the same throw.
It also seems to fly MORE stable - it doesn't flatten out and fly as straight as the other before turning left...but, it will also turn over if I'm not careful with the release.
I have actually weighed both of them, and both weigh in at 163. They look identical - except for the color.
I have since purchased one in DX plastic that is "stiffer" than both, but flies almost identical to the first (the one I like).

I love the first one I purchased, and would love to buy several more, but not if they are like the second one. Any ideas ? I am a fan of the star plastic.

What gives ?

They're different blends of plastic, which mold up differently and change the shape of the disc on a minute level.

Also, I'm willing to be one has a sharp edge on the bottom (flashing) and the other doesn't.

Both the discs are "star" plastic. Is there a difference in the colors ?

Both discs were purchased new, and from the same store & shipment (that's not to say that one couldn't have been on the shelf for a while before it got to the store)

They are both the same weight. They are just different in terms of "stiffness" REALLY, REALLY night and day....

Is there a color that is known to be more consistent ? Weird that 2 brand new discs could be soooo different in feel and flight characteristics.

You need to find colors out of the same run to ensure the closest match. Colors that feel similar.

Deep reds and blues have been pretty consistent since Star came out. White and Yellow seem all right too. Bright primary colors, not the pastel blended stuff.

greenjeans said:
Both the discs are "star" plastic. Is there a difference in the colors ?

Both discs were purchased new, and from the same store & shipment (that's not to say that one couldn't have been on the shelf for a while before it got to the store)

They are both the same weight. They are just different in terms of "stiffness" REALLY, REALLY night and day....

Is there a color that is known to be more consistent ? Weird that 2 brand new discs could be soooo different in feel and flight characteristics.
You're obviously new around here. =)
Yeah, plastics change every run, different colors can be totally different, even two discs from the same batch in the same weight and same color can be totally different. If you want discs that behave the same you should feel them before buying and preferably compare the parting line height. Put two discs next to each other on a flat surface so that the wings touch. If either has a higher parting line (the seam visible on the edge of the disc) it will be relatively more stable than the one with a lower PLH. Find discs that feel the same, look the same dome wise and have identical PLHs (even small differences in PLH can have big effects) and you should get discs that behave the same.