• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Aces - Short end of the stick?

Hoss22

Eagle Member
So I was just thinking this when reading through other posts...whenever I'm out on the course, at tournaments, and here on DGCR, there are constantly people talking about all the Aces they have had. Now, I have been playing for 4 years, and haven't had one Ace. I have made Eagles/Birdies from 250ft and in, but never the infamous Ace. I started thinking about this last season when someone on my card was constantly bragging about the "17" Aces that they have gotten, though they had only been playing for a year and a half. Then, in talking more and more with this person (who obviously thinks they are the greatest thing to happen to the game), I find out that all these Aces are on shots holes that are 150'-200'.....C'mon!

Now...this leads me to just blame my course and other nearby courses that I play most frequently. The courses I play have "pretty" long holes (Steilacoom, Seatac, White River)...there isn't opportunities to hit Aces at 200'.

What I'm getting at is first...do any of you feel jipped by not getting Aces because of the courses you play, weather you play in, or anything else you want to put blame on.

And second, for those of you that are getting, and/or seeing these Aces...are they typically happening on these 150' shots, or are you hitting Aces on 350' shots (which are typically the type I personally see that have a chance at running the basket).

I'm must just be complaining because I can't brag about my Aces :\ :wall:

I have only 3 aces in 11 years playing.

Getting aces is kind of an empty brag because of the amount of luck needed to get a disc to actually stick. They're fun when they do happen, but not getting aces is not the end of the world.

I prefer playing harder courses that make me work rather than just making ace runs all day.

Most aces that I see are in the 250-300 range.

As a side note, I've hit at least one ace every year that I have been playing. Not sure what my total count is though. For the most part, aces are bad shots that got lucky.

I really enjoy playing a mixture of courses, and am blessed to live in a region with dozens of them around. I admit, I went to a local "putt-putt" course (longest hole was 187') because I wanted an ace. Hitting a 50 footer (yes, that's right), then a 100 footer the same day was a bit of a let-down.

Getting a couple of tourney aces, even on "shorter" holes (one under 200' and one under 100') felt better because of the ace pool.

My only long ace (320') felt great. They all count, but I don't think aces are worth really bragging about in any case. Play enough sub-150' holes, and you'll get a few. But you won't hear a pro golfer talking about his putt-putt aces (I hope!).

Folks who hit a LOT of long aces, I suspect, would tend to have their overall scoring suffer, because blowing past a hole and taking a three might not have been the best strategic move.

My two aces this year came on my home course, St. Martin's Abbey, on hole 4. It is a 246' straight, island-style shot with a 15-20' decline. One of our regulars even came with a stack of Wizards looking to ace the hole. It is a tricky hole where one either birdies or goes OB. Drive down I-5 and try it out.

Nonetheless, I know that the aces were mostly made due to luck and I have much to work on with my game.

Keep playing. It'll happen!
^^ This
I too have been playing for over 4 years my friend. I was out at Bill Allen in the Colony and hit a 330ft flick skip ace with my trespass on Christmas Eve a few weeks ago. My jaw dropped. Don't worry it will come with time...when you are playing a round though you can't be trying to get one...they only come when you least expect it

Last edited:
Definitely don't get discouraged by it. I remember a few years after I started, I went to a course in Ann Arbor, MI that at the time was Brown Park, now I believe it's Mary Beth Doyle Park. I don't think there is a hole on that course that is more than 200', and I met a couple locals there that said they had 60+ aces, but 90%+ of them were on that course. The other thing you'll find is that people will unload their entire bag on a basket and hit one of them, then count that as an ace. In my regular group of golfers, it doesn't count unless it's your first shot on the hole, and you have witnesses. That said, my shortest ace was about 85', and my longest roughly 300'. The 300' ace was obviously the bigger accomplishment, but the 85' ace paid out a lot more due to leagues, so I'll take the short ones when I can get them too!

I have had some good aces...a lot of different distances, elevation, wind, difficulty, etc.
I've had about 21-22 Aces. No lies. I was on a hot streak for awhile. Granted these weren't 400 ft aces. So, they were more ace-able holes. But I've had some cut shot aces, skip-ace, direct drilled aces....etc.

I think its a combo of...Just the right conditions/luck, and actual Skill.

More Aces doesnt=better player. but.... sometimes.

I've hit two in the last two years. A 185' hole with a Fuse on a laser beam line in the woods (practice round, but still first throw from the tee), and a 223' slight fade in a tailwind using a Buzzz, which caught a lucky air bounce. The second was in a tourney, so I gots paid.
Now I play mostly on a longer course in heavy woods, so I expect aces will be fewer and further between. Really though, aces in disc golf don't hold the mystique of a hole in one in golf, so I won't really miss it (much).

Most aces I have had or have seen have been under 275' but I have hit basket from 330'+ a couple times and have a friend who had a 360' ace. As far as everyone always saying an ace is a bad shot that got lucky is just rediculous. Last I knew the idea of this game was to get the disc in the basket in the least shots possible. Aiming for the basket and making it in is not a bad shot by any means.

Most aces I have had or have seen have been under 275' but I have hit basket from 330'+ a couple times and have a friend who had a 360' ace. As far as everyone always saying an ace is a bad shot that got lucky is just rediculous. Last I knew the idea of this game was to get the disc in the basket in the least shots possible. Aiming for the basket and making it in is not a bad shot by any means.

It takes a great deal of luck for a shot to end up in the chains from any significant distance. It may be a good shot on a nice line, but getting it to actually hit the chains and stick takes some luck.

The definition of luck is a purposeless, unpredictable and uncontrollable force that shapes events favorably or unfavorably for an individual, group or cause.

By aiming for the basket you are setting a purpose and a disc is a controlable force. I don't see how luck fits. Granted the percentage of actually getting an ace is slim but not lucky.

The definition of luck is a purposeless, unpredictable and uncontrollable force that shapes events favorably or unfavorably for an individual, group or cause.

By aiming for the basket you are setting a purpose and a disc is a controlable force. I don't see how luck fits. Granted the percentage of actually getting an ace is slim but not lucky.

The vast majority of aces are not from people standing on the tee and actually aiming for the chains.

More often, players are looking to hit a particular line to set up an easy putt. If they hit the line just right, and the disc happens to finish in the chains, it's a lucky result.

My two aces this year came on my home course, St. Martin's Abbey, on hole 4. It is a 246' straight, island-style shot with a 15-20' decline. One of our regulars even came with a stack of Wizards looking to ace the hole. It is a tricky hole where one either birdies or goes OB. Drive down I-5 and try it out.

Nonetheless, I know that the aces were mostly made due to luck and I have much to work on with my game.

I have played that course...it definately has some potential, and I look forward to this summer when they can get out there and fix it up some more. I do know the hole your talking about too...I like to just throw out over the parking lot and let it come back and sit at the basket. LOL

My thing with this whole Ace thing, is that at tourneys, its the first thing I hear from people on my card. First, I understand it's usually from people that have been playing less that 3 years, so they are probably the same people that are throwing speed 13 discs when they max out at 300'. But they sit there and start off by "how long have you been playing...oh yeah? how many aces do you have". I've also noticed the people that like to brag about their Aces brag about the number, and will deter from going into detail about the Aces they have had (i.e. 150' shot with nothing in the way). This last season I played a mix of intermediate (as it was my first season actually taking DG seriously, and playing any tourneys) and Advanced. I think it will be much better next your playing all Advanced...hoping that there will be some better DG conversation between people on my card other than comparing DGrs based on something as silly as this.

Don't worry about it too much. My only ace came two months in on a 180' downhill. With a Boss. It was fun and all, but I would much rather hit that 250' upshot at Stilly than smash chains at that church course near there.

And I think that playing higher divisions should kill that conversation. I've never had it with anyone, but I don't really play with people at my (admittedly low) skill level.

Last edited:
To answer the OP's questions, yes and yes.

My first ace was a mulligan ace from the teepad during a casual round. No money. I wasn't excited at all.

My second ace, same hole, was my first throw during doubles and I was odd man. It was worth $120. And i was more excited about winning money than writing a '1' on the scorecard.

Took me eight years to get my first ace.

Im also in the "my course has pretty long holes" boat. Not alot of ace opportunities compared to people who play longer courses.

It will happen. It really will. I think the reason I actually got my first ace after eight years is because I stopped caring about getting one.

Luck? Not Luck? Part luck? Hmm...

Most aces I've witnessed have been somewhere between 200-300 ft. All but one of my aces fit in that range. I did have one ace that was about 75 feet.

I go with its partially luck. And that luck depends on several factors. Course conditions, including the length, and the skill level of the thrower. Also its a matter of the mindset of the thrower. I can only speak for myself when I say that while there is a variable degree of luck involved, I was (am) aiming for the chains on every drive where I got an ace.

The bottom line from my perspective, the higher the degree of skill, the higher degree of aggressiveness (aiming for the chains from the teebox), the less luck is needed or involved.