• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Age vs. throwing distance

axl_rose

My friend and i (age 42) are currently having an argument about throwing distances at tee off. I believe that someone in the 40 year old age range can throw just as far as someone in his/her 20's provided the 40 year old has excellent technique. I have made efforts to improve my distance and I am always trying out things to improve that.

My friend (who is 60) contends that he is too old throw 300ft. He totally dismisses any technique that will improve a throw and is content to throwing 150 - 180 on tee off as he thinks this is the best he can do.

My friend and i (age 42) are currently having an argument about throwing distances at tee off. I believe that someone in the 40 year old age range can throw just as far as someone in his/her 20's provided the 40 year old has excellent technique. I have made efforts to improve my distance and I am always trying out things to improve that.

My friend (who is 60) contends that he is too old throw 300ft. He totally dismisses any technique that will improve a throw and is content to throwing 150 - 180 on tee off as he thinks this is the best he can do.

Uh, I'm pretty sure any healthy, reasonably active adult in their sixties should be able to throw 250-300 given the correct discs and employing proper technique. I could be wrong...:\

All of the Sr GM pros with ratings over 900 easily throw over 300 with some reaching 400 still. Age 70 seems to be where the distance drop off starts occurring faster than between 50s to 60s. The Adv Sr GMs I've observed at Am Worlds are throwing at least 250.

I would tend to agree with you. Perhaps some people just get stuck in they're ways.

Yeah. I hear that. I, for one, tend not to work on form because for me DG is a fun distraction, not something I'm trying to set the world on fire with. If I spent my time practicing form, I'd probably end up hating the game, instead of being mediocre and having a blast. Maybe your friend shares a similar mentality?

Yeah. I hear that. I, for one, tend not to work on form because for me DG is a fun distraction, not something I'm trying to set the world on fire with. If I spent my time practicing form, I'd probably end up hating the game, instead of being mediocre and having a blast. Maybe your friend shares a similar mentality?

I think that is the whole point for him. I share that mentality somewhat but, I also want to improve my throw as well. I don't need to be the next world champion but, I'd like to be able to play some of the 600ft holes at par :)

Age helps form & technique dominates

I would have to say that height, athleticism, and being lean are major factors for getting of the right drive. Form and technique is what brings everything together no matter one's abilities.

I like to think the disc only weighs a couple hundred grams and the human body weighs tens of thousands of grams....Newton's Law should explain the rest

I am with you on that. I don't practice. I am lucky to have time to play and just want to enjoy the sport. But I will say that he should be able to throw further than 150-180 without much trouble. I am 50 and have not seen any drop off in distance (I am not a long thrower anyway-250-300?)

i play with a 46 year old gentleman who can Bomb that disc as far as i can and i am 26 years old.....

I'm 37 and I know guys nearing 60 who can out drive me.

That being said, most older guys that I see walking away with cash at tournaments are more known for getting more out of less and having a good short game, rather than having a cannon arm.

I believe that someone in the 40 year old age range can throw just as far as someone in his/her 20's provided the 40 year old has excellent technique

Yes, as already stated some GM's still throw well into the 300's. 70 is a big drop off point, but 40-50's given good health; there is no reason not to be able to throw well over 300. The reason for this is that throwing far doesn't require strength; it requires proper form. It's actually as easy, or essentially easier to throw 500' as it is to throw 400, hell even 300' WITH PROPER FORM. Because once you hit it; it's all about the form and doesn't require gaining strength as you get older to sufficiently reproduce the throw that can take you well into the 400's.

The only muscle you need to throw farther is hand muscle. The rest is timing essentially. Now, as I said you might not throw 500', as it does take some real fluid motion to achieve this. If I lose distance; I personally hope to still be throwing at least 380 when I'm 50 or so.

I'm 37 and I know guys nearing 60 who can out drive me.

That being said, most older guys that I see walking away with cash at tournaments are more known for getting more out of less and having a good short game, rather than having a cannon arm.

Well the saying is drive for show putt for dough

You're right about that!!

Uh, I'm pretty sure any healthy, reasonably active adult in their sixties should be able to throw 250-300 given the correct discs and employing proper technique. I could be wrong...:\

As an active DGer, who is retired and playing almost daily at 61, I have indeed been able to throw both sidearm and backhand over 300 feet. Having played a little over 3 years and having put into practice the Dan Beto approach, I'm sure that I will be able to reach 350 to 400 backhand, as my throws over 300 feet have come from a single-step put from the right pec.

I'm 29 and this past week at doubles my partner was an Open Masters player (mid to late 40's). He had recently won MO @ the King's Cup in Kinston. He drove mainly with a Pro SL and he was driving just as far as me if not farther since he could hit any damn line he wanted. he's also a lefty. He was also putting the lights out. the other pair on our card was another master's player and a woman about my age. the MA1 player from the other pair was also throwing very well. so yes a man in his 40's can do just as well as us young bucks. I think the age helps them keep a cooler head too.

It's what's in your friend's head that's preventing him from progressing and building on his short drives. If he doesn't want it, he'll never get it...and he'll continue to use age as the "reason."

When you feel you've already peaked in life, where do you go from there???

It's what's in your friend's head that's preventing him from progressing and building on his short drives. If he doesn't want it, he'll never get it...and he'll continue to use age as the "reason."

Very true. Up until last year, he had never even played any other disc golf course other than the one in our home town but, now I have gotten him out to nine other courses and I had even gotten him to try a different disc because he believed that they were all the same. He loves his Stingray though still!

It's funny, my buddy always makes fun of me for not throwing hard even when I drive it over 400'. He is a local pro and tells me that I look like I am just tossing it softly, but it goes like mad.

Technique is much more important than anything. I hear what people are saying about being 70 but I see no reason that 400' shouldn't be achievable by anyone 15- 60. When people ask me about throwing over 300' I tell them any good teacher could teach them that in about 30 minutes, assuming they can be taught.

I am 37 and I know of a guy that is 65 that I have seen in the tournaments and he can out putt and out throw me.

Latest posts