• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Bad results with acetone....

zugthug1705

Par Member
I finally decided to try to clean up some of my discs, specifically discs I've traded for that had annoying ink on the flight plate. I was able to fade the ink on a couple but not completely remove it, which is fine. But today I had my first bad experience trying to remove ink.

I JUST got a pre-Barry Beast in the mail about an hour ago and saw some ink on the bottom so I figured I'd give it a shot. After letting it soak for about 8 or 9 minutes I went to wipe it and the plastic is basically peeling away. Anyone else ever had this issue? If so, any tips on how to make it somewhat right again? It basically looks like the bottom of my Beast had sunburn 3 days ago :\

yeah that's a bummer-- it can happen. I think almost 10 minutes of soaking was pretty excessive though as it should pretty much wipe it right off without soaking at all, if it is going to come off in the first place.

Never soak in acetone. Wet a paper towel or q-tip and remove what you can but never soak. At best you'll weaken and discolor the plastic. At worst....well you pretty much got the worst but it'll even start to eat through certain types.

Yeah this is a real gummy blend of Champ plastic. But thanks for the tips, I guess I should've researched before I went and messed with it.

For now, looks like I'm stuck with this:

4j518m.jpg

Yep, don't ever soak it. Wet something and wipe, rinse and repeat. If it doesn't come off after a few times it won't come off.

Wow... yeah don't ever do that. Acetone is hella bad for plastic. A little on a rag is all you need. Don't drink it, either, if you were wondering, and I'd suggest not smoking around it.

As for fixing it, no, you can't.

Acetone won't remove the ink completely no matter how long it sits and eats plastic. With old discs becoming so fragile, if you don't want ink on your discs, buy them ink free.

Wow... yeah don't ever do that. Acetone is hella bad for plastic. A little on a rag is all you need. Don't drink it, either, if you were wondering, and I'd suggest not smoking around it.

As for fixing it, no, you can't.

I got a really good deal on the disc or I wouldn't have been experimenting with it at all, but I've let it soak on a couple other discs and it didn't do anything like this at all. Lesson learned! :doh:

Black sharpie absorbs deeper and quicker. So if you can use the colored ones or silver it's better for removing later. It also rubs off so needs redone sometimes. If you do ink in black if can be removed almost completely within a week and each week after that gets worse. After a month or so you're pretty much stuck with at least faded black ink. If it's been there for years you're better off not even trying. Just black out over it and start new.

I get a little annoyed with people who ink their discs while field testing them then try to sell them at retail price. Yeah you only threw it a few times but that still knocks off a dollar or two from retail in my eyes. If you inked it then only threw it a few times and are trying to sell retail even worse. I only ink a disc after I know it's staying in my bag and I'm not likely to resell it. Flight plate inkers are even worse. Unless you're a top open player stop inking your discs like one. :D Sorry I needed to vent.

Flight plate inkers are even worse. Unless you're a top open player stop inking your discs like one. :D Sorry I needed to vent.

Meh, I like to ugly up my favorite throwers with ink so they are less desirable to others who might be less likely to return a pretty disc with no ink on it.

Never soak, and use a cotton ball or q-tip, because if you use too much pressure with a rag/towel you can scratch it up. If it doesn't come off after 1-3 times, it's not coming off.

dont let it rest in it rub it on on for about 20-30 sec and then rinse it with hot water. it reacts to the platic because of th coloring in it.

Meh, I like to ugly up my favorite throwers with ink so they are less desirable to others who might be less likely to return a pretty disc with no ink on it.

That wasn't what I said though. I said people who ink up discs they are only testing and then try to sell them like they're new because they only threw them a few times. If you intend to keep the disc then mark it up all you want for whatever reason. I just get tired of seeing a disc for sale with their info all over it and they say thrown once like new $18 shipped. It's not new I've got to mark out your ink and for that you can't expect me to pay full price. Of course you don't need to buy anything like that but I don't even see the point of it. If you're testing a disc take it to a field and throw it before you ink it up. Then if you don't want it you can easily sell it faster and for more money without your ink on it. :thmbup:

Never soak in acetone. Wet a paper towel or q-tip and remove what you can but never soak. At best you'll weaken and discolor the plastic. At worst....well you pretty much got the worst but it'll even start to eat through certain types.

^^ I second this.