• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Banshee

Stable

* Ace Member *
In an effort to consolidate my bag I've thought about taking out my Teebird and Firebird and adding a Champion Banshee. I know I would be better off lowering the amount of molds in my bag. Is this a crazy move:confused: Anyone else struggle to to try and minimize their bag?

I did at one point. Didn't work for me - too much a gap in stability between the two discs I was replacing and a loss in distance with the Banshee. The Banshee has significantly more lateral movement than the Teebird, so it's only useful for a fraction of the shots you'd want a Teebird for. An extremely worn in Banshee will be a shorter straight-to-fade disc (they lose LSS before HSS), but in premium plastic it will take a long time to get to an amount of fade even remotely resembling a Teebird. I tried cycling DX Banshees for a time, but got frustrated with how one nasty collision could ruin a perfectly worn disc. In the end, I decided minimalism on this scale was more frustrating than it was worth, and I relaxed my philosophy in favor of building a bag that worked for me. Good luck.

I can fill the role of a Teebird with my beat CE EXP1(millennium's banshee mold) so I don't think it's crazy. It may take a while to beat in a banshee to be between a firebird and teebird though.

I think 2 dx banshee and 2 Champ banshees would be great to cycle.

In an effort to consolidate my bag I've thought about taking out my Teebird and Firebird and adding a Champion Banshee. I know I would be better off lowering the amount of molds in my bag. Is this a crazy move:confused: Anyone else struggle to to try and minimize their bag?

Mold minimalism is good, but it's not good for its own sake. I struggled with minimalism for a while, trying to reduce the number of molds in my bag not because that was helping me on the course, but because I thought I should. It took me a while to get to the point where I had the right discs in the right stages of wear and to get to the point where I was throwing well enough to benefit from that.

I think it's kind of funny how people talk about seasoning their discs on this site and they act like that's something that happens in a month or two. In my experience, it's taken years. I still throw the same TB, Comet, Buzzz, River, Ion, and OLFs that I bought years ago. They are in the perfect spot right now for cycling, so that I have a wide range of stability with only a few discs. I have a flippy Ion and a stable/overstable Ion. I have a flippy Comet and a stable/understable Comet. I have a stable to slightly understable TB, a stable TB, and a stable/overstable TB. It takes a long time to get your discs to the point where you can fit a bunch of slots with one disc.

Mold minimalism doesn't help you if it's driving you to replace a Teebird with a Banshee. Those two discs are not interchangeable, and the Banshee will perform poorly in the TB slot. What's wrong with throwing a TB and an FB? Why try to replace two classic molds that coexist beautifully in the bag with a single mold that's going to come up short as a replacement for not one but two molds?

So my advice is to pull back from the mold minimalism a bit. Throw what is useful on the course, and let your bag evolve into a minimalist bag if that's the direction you want to take it. But mold minimalism takes time to do properly, so keep that in mind.

I think 2 dx banshee and 2 Champ banshees would be great to cycle.

I don't mess with DX. The lowest grade plastic I have is Discraft Soft X-Line for my Bangers. Everything else is Champion/Z, ESP/Star.

Instead of the Banshee what about a PD, they can go from flippy to fairly beefy.

I have considered this. My thought was that a C-PD would replace both the Destroyer and Firebird. The Banshee got my attention because the area where my game needs consolidation is in the fairway/control FH spot. The PD is a little too fast for that right?

Last edited:
Mold minimalism is good, but it's not good for its own sake. I struggled with minimalism for a while, trying to reduce the number of molds in my bag not because that was helping me on the course, but because I thought I should. It took me a while to get to the point where I had the right discs in the right stages of wear and to get to the point where I was throwing well enough to benefit from that.

I think it's kind of funny how people talk about seasoning their discs on this site and they act like that's something that happens in a month or two. In my experience, it's taken years. I still throw the same TB, Comet, Buzzz, River, Ion, and OLFs that I bought years ago. They are in the perfect spot right now for cycling, so that I have a wide range of stability with only a few discs. I have a flippy Ion and a stable/overstable Ion. I have a flippy Comet and a stable/understable Comet. I have a stable to slightly understable TB, a stable TB, and a stable/overstable TB. It takes a long time to get your discs to the point where you can fit a bunch of slots with one disc.

Mold minimalism doesn't help you if it's driving you to replace a Teebird with a Banshee. Those two discs are not interchangeable, and the Banshee will perform poorly in the TB slot. What's wrong with throwing a TB and an FB? Why try to replace two classic molds that coexist beautifully in the bag with a single mold that's going to come up short as a replacement for not one but two molds?

So my advice is to pull back from the mold minimalism a bit. Throw what is useful on the course, and let your bag evolve into a minimalist bag if that's the direction you want to take it. But mold minimalism takes time to do properly, so keep that in mind.
All of this and I'm glad to see someone finally say what's bolded.

And not using dx plastic is a bad idea. Most of my discs are dx or equivalent.

You cannot swap a champ Banshee for a TB. At first I thought my champ TB flew like a Banshee and now that it's worn in some and my form has improved even more (yes, worn in some, after about a month of daily rounds and hitting stuff HARD) it's awesome. Not even close.

I myself will be buying a gstar fb and taking out the xxx and Banshee in all likelihood.

I don't really know about other plastics.

I tried this as well. The principal is solid, but it's not a very good straight fairway like a Teebird and I don't like it very much for controlled forehands or overhand shots like the Firebird.

I haven't found any disc more essential to my bag than those two, may never replace them.

Cycling and what you are talking about, are not the same thing.

Cycling is when you constantly rotate out your discs with your backups, in an effort for them to wear similarly over time.

You are talking about getting a disc, wearing it in, and adding another fresh one to accompany it. Thats just putting a new one in the bag lol

Cycling is when you constantly rotate out your discs with your backups, in an effort for them to wear similarly over time.

You are talking about getting a disc, wearing it in, and adding another fresh one to accompany it. Thats just putting a new one in the bag lol

I don't really think there's a point to what you're saying here.

Ummm...

Cycling how I understand it and how I have been doing it for 15 years is get a disc, beat it in. Add a fresh one so you have a new one and a beat in one. Wait for the beat in one to get flippy and the new one to get beat in and add a new one so you have a turnover disc, a beat in disc and a new stable disc all of the same mold. Lather, rinse repeat. That way you can cover all your shots with the same mold.

Sometimes you end up with more than one disc in the same stage of wear. For me with Rocs I always ended up with more beat in Rocs than I needed; they went from new to beat in quicker than they went from beat in to flippy so I'd have a stack of really good beat in Rocs sitting around with no room for them in my bag. That was an accident, though.

I never run backups in and out of my bag. That seems pointless.

Those are not overstable enough, imo. A beefy cpd might do it, but still not as OS as a Banshee unless you get a cfr or handpick for high plh. Still pretty OS though, too much for a TB rrplacement. A good spd would fill that role for champ TB better but not os enough for fb.

These are two slots, imo, that should probably be filled by different discs. The problem is that if you throw an spd hard enough so it flies like a tb, it can't be your fb replacement. the cpd is going to be pretty OS unless you have a cannon, so it cannot be your tb replacement. If you do have a cannon then you are back to your first problem: it cannot he your fb replacement.

Last edited: