• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket Chain Lengths

bcr123psu

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I searched a few of the basket making vs. buying threads and didn't find anything that clearly listed the lengths of chain that go into a basket. Does anyone know how long the chains are in a "typical" basket (DISCatcher, Chainstar, Mach III/IV, etc.)?

The specs on the DISCatcher Pro from the Innnova web site shows the distance from the bottom of the chastity belt to the top of the basket assembly at 19". Taking into account the curve of the chain, I could've sworn that I read somewhere that 24" was the length, but I really have no idea and 24" looks too short.

Any help would be appreciated.

I plan on one day building my own basket. I counted the links on a DISCatcher Pro and here is what I found. The outer chains were 20 links in length and the inner chains were 34 links in length. The inner chains were hanging in a U shape rather than each strand being tethered to a metal ring like the outer chains.

Mach III's have 20 links of 2/0 chain. So do the baskets I made. 3 inch ring for the outside and 8 inch ring for the inside chains.
ringsthree.jpg

DiscChucker said:
I plan on one day building my own basket. I counted the links on a DISCatcher Pro and here is what I found. The outer chains were 20 links in length and the inner chains were 34 links in length. The inner chains were hanging in a U shape rather than each strand being tethered to a metal ring like the outer chains.

Don't get me wrong, I love building things. All the games I listed on the events for the DGCR meetup thread I've built and built multiples (I've invented a few games that I'm going to be patenting). But as far as building a disc golf basket, IMHO I would've been better off buying an Instep or Pacific Outdoors basket for $90-100. Even using reclaimed and repurposed materials, my frankenbasket is going to be upwards of $80 by the time I'm done. I would just buy one and take instant gratification over pride of building.

Don't get me wrong, I love building things. All the games I listed on the events for the DGCR meetup thread I've built and built multiples (I've invented a few games that I'm going to be patenting). But as far as building a disc golf basket, IMHO I would've been better off buying an Instep or Pacific Outdoors basket for $90-100. Even using reclaimed and repurposed materials, my frankenbasket is going to be upwards of $80 by the time I'm done. I would just buy one and take instant gratification over pride of building.

I guess I assumed you were building a basket as I'm not sure of what relevance you're question has otherwise. You've peeked my curiosity though.

DiscChucker said:
I guess I assumed you were building a basket as I'm not sure of what relevance you're question has otherwise. You've peeked my curiosity though.

You sir, assumed correctly. But having mostly woodworking tools and not too much in the way of metalworking tools, the construction of a basket is more time-consuming and more difficult (and I've ruined quite a few drill bits). I'm hoping to have my monstrosity finished this weekend. As soon as I do I'll post some pix. But I'm most def going to be buying my next basket.

When I added chains to my Innova Discatcher Sport Basket, they were right at 2 feet.

You sir, assumed correctly. But having mostly woodworking tools and not too much in the way of metalworking tools, the construction of a basket is more time-consuming and more difficult (and I've ruined quite a few drill bits). I'm hoping to have my monstrosity finished this weekend. As soon as I do I'll post some pix. But I'm most def going to be buying my next basket.

By all means please post pictures of your monstrosity! I can understand what you're talking about when it comes to metal working tools. Not only do I not have the metal working tools but I don't have those skills either. :( I sure do wish I knew how to weld. I commend you on your attempt to make your own basket. :clap:

Unlike many people, I'm not one of those who rolls his eyes at the idea of fabricating your own basket. I find making things to my own liking very gratifying. And you're right, the cost of a DIY basket can quickly add up to equal or exceed the price of mass produced baskets on the market. It really depends on the materials used and the level of detail that's put into it. The chains alone are typically the biggest component to drive the cost up for this project. If a basket is something that someone is building for themselves, I don't count the "cost" of time and labor. In this case it's a labor of love.

There are a lot of naysayers that are of the opinion that if it's going to cost as much or more than a mass produced basket, why not just save the time and money and get the "real thing"? I say, to each his own. Some of us get satisfaction from making things with our hands. Some of us are tinkerers, creators and inventors. I've been blown away with the ingenuity I've seen with some of the baskets people have posted. There are some really creative minds out there. I certainly give you some big time kudos for trying to build your own basket before just shunning the idea.

Look on the bright side, when you've bought your next basket, you'll have two that you can set up!

I'm going to be pretty stoked when it's finished and I can start a putting routine that doesn't involve tossing my discs into a camp chair in the basement. My wife won't like it, but there are certain things that a man cave needs, and mine needs a DG basket.

I'm going to be pretty stoked when it's finished and I can start a putting routine that doesn't involve tossing my discs into a camp chair in the basement. My wife won't like it, but there are certain things that a man cave needs, and mine needs a DG basket.

Yeah! :hfive: I like your thinking.

The chains on my homemade basket are setup like the Discatchers that are at my local course. On the baskets at this course, the intermediate and inner are tethered to a metal ring like the outer chains. The 12 outer chains are 20 links. The intermediate and inner are 18 links. I used 2/0 chain just like the Discatcher. I think I bought 57' of chain and didn't have much left over.

I built mine for about $100. About $65 of that was the cost of the chain. It catches almost as well as one at the course. I enjoy building stuff myself if I can save money and if I have time.

This might not be what you're looking for, might be too pricey, and it's funny lookin'. But if I was going to do indoor practice where noise was a factor, I might invest in a Discatcher Traveler. It's probably my least favorite portable in most regards, but boy is it quiet. And then besides its value as an indoor basket, it is lightweight and compact and a good target to have in the trunk.

Thanks for the link chiggins. I've seen those before and wanted something more sturdy, although I'm considering buying a portable target too. For my homemade target, I wanted, nay, needed to hear those chains to make it "real" in my head. Besides, the basement is pretty sound proof. I have a 5.1 surround system in one half and a foosball table on the other side and it's pretty tough to hear either on the first floor let alone the second floor.

Yeah I know what ya mean, I like hearing the chains too. But I know in our house, I can hear someone typing an angry email downstairs from any room upstairs. I figure if I brought my basket into the basement, the yelling would start somewhere between throws 40-60, with swift/terrible reactions following soon after.

Sounds like you've got an excellent space for it, mighty jealous!

Yeah I know what ya mean, I like hearing the chains too. But I know in our house, I can hear someone typing an angry email downstairs from any room upstairs. I figure if I brought my basket into the basement, the yelling would start somewhere between throws 40-60, with swift/terrible reactions following soon after.

Sounds like you've got an excellent space for it, mighty jealous!

I put one of those floaty tube things for swimming pools on my basket, they wrap right around the pole and pretty much deaden all the noise. I putt in the basement so I went through this myself. I tried to find a picture of one but i couldnt, im sure most people know what Im talking about.

see the yellow thing in this photo, thats what I was trying to describe.

114417781_3af16e7209.jpg