• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Baskets, Baskets, Baskets

xeroxed44

Bogey Member
I'm looking for ideas for a good backyard basket. I'm not really looking for a basket that you can pack up in the car and take it places. It will be just for the backyard, but yet looking for something portable so during downtime, harsh weather, ect I can easily store it in the garage. I'm not too keen on the Mach lite or Innova Traveler. I like the idea of having a basket to practice with that is going to replicate baskets at courses.

Thus far what I've researched, the DGA Mach II with portable base with wheel seems to be winning the race.
Any thoughts? Experiences? Concerns? Comments?

I have an Innova Discratcher Sport. It's got a portable base, it can be disassembled with a screw driver in about 3 minutes, but othewise its light enough for me to carry with one arm (only about 45 pounds or so) It's only got one row of chains, but it more or less acts like a basket on the course. I do experience a couple more spit outs than on the course, but generally you know when you make a good putt and when you don't. It's a good teaching tool. If anything, you learn to really place your putts in order to deal with only 1 row of chains.

Sturdy construction. I have had it for 2 years and it looks pretty much new. It has some nicks on the poll from the chains but nothing you wouldn't expect for a basket.

I do store it inside whenever I am not using it. So bare that in mind.

But it looks nice, works well, is easy to move, etc.

I love it.

Also a Discatcher Sport user. For a single row of chains I really like how well it grabs my putts. Breaks down fast and easy.

I have a lightning DB5 and am happy. It's about as close to a real basket as you can get and while paying less than $200. Breaks down in pieces so you could put it your car if you want. 3+ years on it and its as good as new.

Roy said:
I have a lightning DB5 and am happy. It's about as close to a real basket as you can get and while paying less than $200. Breaks down in pieces so you could put it your car if you want. 3+ years on it and its as good as new.
I'll second that. The DB5 is the way to go for what you are wanting.

Thanks for the input. It looks like the Lightning one might be the way to go, appears atleast in pictures to be more sturdy.

yeah DB5 is crazy sturdy

single chains but heavy chains, it catches almost as well as pro baskets. thing's got a huge bucket on it too. one gripe is the rough metal feel on these.

personally i got Ching ChainMaster(s) because i thought they caught more like a pro basket than the DB5 did; they also cost more but have 2 rows of 16 chains.

Leopard said:
yeah DB5 is crazy sturdy

single chains but heavy chains, it catches almost as well as pro baskets. thing's got a huge bucket on it too. one gripe is the rough metal feel on these.

personally i got Ching ChainMaster(s) because i thought they caught more like a pro basket than the DB5 did; they also cost more but have 2 rows of 16 chains.

Yeah, my only complaint was the galvanizing was pretty crappy at first. It had some sharp spots. I used a file on a couple of the spots and the rest just weathered smooth.

I got a used Mach Lite from a friend, and I like it. It's pretty much like a beach umbrella. Folds up and down pretty easily. I just grab it from the basement and get some practice in while I'm grilling in the backyard.

I have an instep disc golf basket and for an extra 15 bucks I installed a secomd row of chains and it works amazingly, only rare spit-outs and cant be disassembled in about 30 seconds

The Mach Lite does have more fly throughs than a regular basket, but I don't really care. I just wanted something decent to serve as a target. If I'm hitting the chains, I'm happy, regardless of whether my practice basket actually catches it.

I also have a DB5 and really like it. For a sub $200 basket, its very rugged and as others have said, the chains are really sturdy. The only complaint I have with it really, is that the chains are so sturdy, that putts that would go in at the course on baskets with 2 rows of regular chains sometimes bounce off side of the DB5. All in all tho, it just makes you throw it in the middle more hehe. Great basket for the price

Prob DB5 unless you have close neighbors.

My Skillshot is much quieter.
Sweet spot is 2/3 the size of a reg basket, and the chains get tight (more bars than nets) after about 4 sunk putts.

cornelius said:
I have an instep disc golf basket and for an extra 15 bucks I installed a secomd row of chains and it works amazingly, only rare spit-outs and cant be disassembled in about 30 seconds

I've had the same basket for 2+ years and have been very pleased. Even with the added second set of chains it still totaled less than 100 bucks.

I know you mentioned that you weren't really interested in the mach lite type baskets, but you might want to consider them if you have younger children. One of my good friends had a DISCatcher Pro, and his daughter (2-3 years old at the time) pulled it on top of herself. She ended up in the hospital with a 3-4" gash above her eye.

I've got a few kids about that age now, and whenever they're out they love throwing the disc in the basket. They've knocked it over a handful of times, and it's fallen on one of them once. Having the Mach Lite is very nice for this, as my boys just pushed it off of themselves and I righted the basket again.

That said, I do like my Mach Lite. It's very portable, pretty quiet, and has the inside and outside chains. You do get a few more blowthrough putts like Beable said because you have 16 chains and normal baskets have 24. You can also tighten the lip of the basket to make it stiffer, so that it will react more like metal baskets. All-in-all it's a good basket.

Other than that, the only other one I have experience with was my buddy's DISCatcher Pro. Only had outside chains, but did a good job of catching. Definitely noisier and much heavier. IMO it's more of a pain to take these baskets apart at the end of putting practice than it is to simply pick them up and move them into the garage. If I were to go with a full size metal basket like this, I'd recommend something with wheels. Has anyone looked at the M-14. Apparently this is only 25 pounds, snaps together, and is a full metal basket.

I'm curious about the m-14 as well. The price looks right, and I want to be practicing against a metal basket that looks like a regular course one.. Anyone have any experiences one way or the other with this guy?

It's either the DB-5 or the Chingmaster for me, I just can't decide. Any thoughts why I should get one over the other? I'll be using it in my backyard for putting.

Latest posts