• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner Basics Handout

Would you like an easy to get Beginner's Guide

• Total voters

cfair

* Ace Member *
Howdy, I was wondering what you all would think of a Beginner Basics guide that could be handed out on courses, kept in shops, sent with orders (assuming a manufacturer would pick it up), or easily found and printed.

I am curious as to what you all would think of this and what kind of information would most useful. (Disc golf can feel overly complex for beginners sometimes, I'm just thinking little tips that would help them out quickly).

Some categories I'm thinking of are:
1. Quick overview of what disc golf is
2. Quick list of Primary Companies
3. Explanation of Putters, Mids, Fairway Drivers, and Long Range Drivers
4. Explanation of simple disc rating (High and low speed turn, speed/power) and type (Overstable, stable, and understable) and plastics (low, standard, and premium?)
5. Definitions (hyzer, anhyzer, flex)
6. Quick "How to Back Hand"
7. Quick "How to Fore Hand"
8. Putting Tips

Let me know what else you guys think would be helpful, also if it is too messy and such. If I can trim this down I would prefer too. I'll try to answer questions. Thanks for now.

I think its a good idea. I remember when I first started the info I was looking for was scattered all ofver the internet. Could be very useful to have it all in one place for a beginner.

If I could add a section I would add an course etiquette section that outlines:
Let the group in front of you hole out before driving
Don't make large groups that slow the speed of play for others behind you.
Pick up your own trash and don't leave any on the course.
DO NOT sign the basket or tee sign when you ace, sign your own plastic.

You get the idea.

I would just say make sure to include talk about power requirement and try to emphasize getting slower speed discs. Try to change the faster disc=more automatic distance idea in beginners.

I think it's a great idea. But like Pink Elephant said, it needs to be written from the correct angle by someone with the right level of expertise.

It's a good idea... but I would say that it should be comic book style such as Google did for the release of Chrome. Not b/c DGers can't read but I don't think many of them will at first... a real cool comic laid out well and kept brief enough to be printed on as few sheets as possible would be an instant draw even for 1st timers who think that they can just throw a frisbee as normal.
and the etiquette idea is a big +
New players just don't seem to get that part of the game
I'm not convinced that a description of the different makers should be included.. any maker has a good enough set of discs to start with (for the most part) and that is just too much info to start with..
Disc lines (HSS and LSS) plus stability descriptions.... the main types of DG discs (putters, mid and fairway, drivers)....basics on grips (Power grips and control grips...putt grips).... some quotes of Steady Ed's for positive thinking... Backhand and forehand styles should be there also (some people just do better from the beginning with one or the other and they most likely won't know about forehand drives)

this last one is key... anyway you throw is legal as long as you don't walk the disc there you can throw it, spin it, chuck it... i always here from new players "was that a legal throw?"

Great idea Jax

I would just say make sure to include talk about power requirement and try to emphasize getting slower speed discs. Try to change the faster disc=more automatic distance idea in beginners.

That is acutally one of the biggest reasons I want to make this. I see way to many people walking around with nukes, destroyers, XCals, and bosses and it would be well explained. And the focus would be an angle beginners can understand instead of the huge unorganized articles you find elsewhere (or descriptions written by Lithicon).

and they most likely won't know about forehand drives
On my course I find this rather contrary. Many forehand or thumber because it is easier to start with, especially if they have a baseball background.

Grips would be nice as well.

Great idea Jax

That is acutally one of the biggest reasons I want to make this. I see way to many people walking around with nukes, destroyers, XCals, and bosses and it would be well explained. And the focus would be an angle beginners can understand instead of the huge unorganized articles you find elsewhere (or descriptions written by Lithicon).

On my course I find this rather contrary. Many forehand or thumber because it is easier to start with, especially if they have a baseball background.

Grips would be nice as well.

The Lithicon descriptions are meant for advanced learning... while he is verbose he does a good job describing something that is better to show someone.... what you're proposing is a 101 learning... far from what Lith bothers himself to share with the group and way too much for any 1st timer to absorb
I think the first time someone goes to play DG they almost always throw it like they would a frisbee at the beach or park...most don't know about forehand... if you see newer players throwing forehand it's b/c they saw someone else doing it or were told be a more experienced player to try it. <--my opinion

Your suggestion is to put together a 1st timer description of the basics...right?
Keep it concise and only list the things that will aid a 1st timer... and I suggested a comic book style layout b/c honestly, this has been done before and it's all very boring and not enticing... a visual representation with brief descriptions will draw in more attention

Great idea! When I started, the guys I played with were just chuckers, though they had been playing for 2-3 yrs. So, on their recommendation, I was trying to throw a monarch as my driver. Needless to say, it was going about 100'. I was using my old freestyle frisbee grip and I couldn't throw a forehand. Long story short, I was clueless. Then I found this site and the rest is history. I threw my 1st 300' drive the other day (302'), I've got a decent forehand, I'm getting comfortable with the anny, etc, etc, etc. The point is, if I hadn't found this site, I'd still be clueless. Some basic instruction for beginners would be very helpful.

Fantastic idea! There are a lot of disc golf snobs in the Vegas area, and when you ask people for help, you usually get the "you just need to practice" statement, before they walk off. I have never once had somebody tell me "grip it like this", or "reach back this way". Not once. I found everything that I've learned thus far on the internet.

Having a pamphlet, or something to read to get people started would be awesome!

As a newer player, I have to agree with most of what was said above. I think a pamphlet explaining disc golf for beginners is a great idea. My local course I play in Cadyville has a double sided paper which gives definitions and some rules of the course, but something a little more detailed would be great. The comic book does have an advantage of being able to show some pictures, but I worry that a comic almost makes adults avoid grabbing one since they think it's geared mostly towards kids.

Simple and basic and you might have a decent idea here. Lots of new players could use the advice. General rules of play and how to play the game with respect for others.

Make it local. List courses in the area that are good for beginners. Shorter holes, no water, not a lot of rough.

I don't know, we argue about the basics all the time...

As a newer player, I have to agree with most of what was said above. I think a pamphlet explaining disc golf for beginners is a great idea. My local course I play in Cadyville has a double sided paper which gives definitions and some rules of the course, but something a little more detailed would be great. The comic book does have an advantage of being able to show some pictures, but I worry that a comic almost makes adults avoid grabbing one since they think it's geared mostly towards kids.

Well, did you see Google present their Google Chrome in a comic book style? It's geared towards adults (sans Wolverine) and went over quite well. I've seen plenty of these beginner pamphlets and they are always low quality, poorly executed and drone on and on...

BTW Welcome to the sport!

Heh, thanks Noill Golf. That is definitely the purpose of my articles. I'm not beyond teaching basics as I still give basics advice to many beginners from time to time. But as you so quaintly put it, I don't normally write for basics. It's a decent idea, but could possibly be taken as propaganda by some of the major dealers, as it will hinder sales and I can't see many of them pushing these out the doors with people.

On another note; I am quite amused I was mentioned by name in this though. Makes me smile inside.

t's a decent idea, but could possibly be taken as propaganda by some of the major dealers, as it will hinder sales and I can't see many of them pushing these out the doors with people.

As in people wouldn't be buying discs they set out to buy? Otherwise i cant see how it would hinder sales :confused:

Oh, you're right. Everyone goes in the store to buy a Boss, then a Groove. Few weeks later a Katana, and then Aviar because they seen everyone carrying them. Well informed on their intents and purposes, they go FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Last edited:

Latest posts