• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Basket For These Requirements?

jjtwinnova

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Looking for a basket to keep as an upgrade from my current DGA M-14, and I need it to do a couple things.

-I want it to stay outside for the vast majority of the year, only inside when I know that the weather will be very bad, or if I won't be using it for a while.

-I will also want it to be semi-portable, but sturdy, so it can be moved around my yard, or transport in my car when needed, but I want it to catch putts with course-like quality and not wobble.

-Under $250 is the goal. I don't know many that are more than this, but I am not looking for a permanent basket, as I travel a good amount, and a basket is my favorite travel companion.

I've looked at the DD Recruit and the MVP Black Hole, both have pros and cons, so I am looking for other possible options that would fit my needs.

When I'm traveling, I pack a Discatcher Sport. I have Recruits, Liberty's, Disc King/Kingpins, and Titans, for portables. The Sports are the most convenient to travel with, for me.

The first two I bought are 6 years old. They've been outside since I hauled them to my course last spring, so they handled a Yooper winter no problem.

I have a westside black basket that has lived outside for a year with no problems. I think it catches better the my discatcher sport probably because it has two rows of chains.

Looking for a basket.

Now these aren't $450 MACH Vs, but I have 2 MACH IIs for back yard duties. They are galvanized so leaving them outside is not a problem. My 1st one has been outside nonstop for over a year, and it still looks great. Very sturdy. Portability can get cumbersome if you are going to be taking them in your car frequently. But if only a few times a year, they do break down with a few bolts removed. They might not catch as well as new course baskets, but from ~ 120' in they are fine. I actually aced on a MACH II in Texas (and many in my backyard)

You can add chains if needed for fairly cheap.

They are $240 with free shipping at Discgolfcenter. Upper end of your price range but will last a long while.

Attachments

• EFF61D3F-02E6-4416-AE24-5982AA8263D0.jpg
    EFF61D3F-02E6-4416-AE24-5982AA8263D0.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 103
It's getting to be Christmas season, which means gateway will have deals on portable titans.

Probably at the upper end of the budget but this time of year i think they run a deal where you get 10 or so putters included.

Except that it's about $60 too expensive

??? I don't understand? It's $20 cheaper than the link you posted. And MACH IIs are super sturdy. Good chain and supporting hooks. Plus all galvanized. OP can come over and test these if needed.

The main difference between a MACH 2 and the DB5 is ease of disassembly. The OP says he'd like to take it down and transport it in his vehicle. The DB5 has knobs on the end of the assembly screws that make take down and assembly without tools quick and easy. Although the MACH 2 can be disassembled and reassembled, it would require tools and multiple screws at each point. Simply stated, the DB5 is easier to take down, transport in a vehicle and reassemble. The OP would need to determine how much that means to him. It meant a lot to me at the time of my purchase when I traveled every week. GGGT will charge him shipping. $240 for the basket + about $45 shipping and then taxes... probably a little over $300 for the DB5, but IMO, worth it.

This is a difficult choice, as there are so many good baskets available today. Personally, I have the Discatcher Sport, and it was great right out of the box. However, I have modified it and added chains to where it is not as portable as it once was.

Just curious, is having two baskets out of the question? I really like the Mach II basket, and it would certainly handle the weather, and is your M-14 easy to take down for transport? Just a thought. I have my Discatcher Sport set up permanently in the basement, for Iowa winters, and if I didn't live only 5 minutes away from a disc golf course, I would be buying a second basket to have in my yard. Hope you let us know what you wind up buying.:thmbup:

I have 4 discatcher sports. They stay outside all year in rain/snow/sun. My oldest one 7 years old is just showing some small rust spots, some fading paint on my pink one 2 years old because of the sun bright pink is now a salmon color. Other than those minor issues these catch great I use them all the time for hosting clinics, extra putting baskets at tournaments, and some temp courses. I have a pickup truck with a cap and i just leave the screw between the basket and pole for the chains loose it lets me take the top chain portion with pole and slide the pole through the basket to easily transport the basket in 2 pieces. Great value and quality in my opinion

The main difference between a MACH 2 and the DB5 is ease of disassembly. The OP says he'd like to take it down and transport it in his vehicle. The DB5 has knobs on the end of the assembly screws that make take down and assembly without tools quick and easy. Although the MACH 2 can be disassembled and reassembled, it would require tools and multiple screws at each point. Simply stated, the DB5 is easier to take down, transport in a vehicle and reassemble. The OP would need to determine how much that means to him. It meant a lot to me at the time of my purchase when I traveled every week. GGGT will charge him shipping. $240 for the basket + about $45 shipping and then taxes... probably a little over $300 for the DB5, but IMO, worth it.

I agree that, at least head to head with a Mach II, the DB5 has advantages IF your priority is portability. But I think the assembly/disassembly issue is a bit overstated. the Mach II only needs three bolts (base, basket, chain assembly) and can be assembled by hand if you're okay with the nuts only being finger tightened. To me, that's good enough for the occasions where I'd only have it out and assembled for a few hours before it would go back in the car.

To me, where the DB5 really is better is that the pole breaks down into two pieces and everything fits into the basket giving it a smaller storage footprint. The Mach II has just one pole, which if you have a smaller car or trunk space, can be more of an issue in transportation.

For my money, I think the Recruit or the Black Hole is the best bang for the buck. The lone drawback to the Recruit is that it requires an Allen wrench to tighten/loosen the bolts (tough to finger tighten) whereas the Black Hole does not require tools. On the other hand, the Recruit's base has a wheel for easier movement when it is fully assembled where the Black Hole does not. Both targets have two-piece poles so the storage footprint is minimal. They also both come with two layers of chains standard, so no need to add inner chains like you would with a DB5.

Looks like MVP is running a Black Friday special on their Black Hole pro that includes free shipping. Dynamic always ships for free on orders through their store. So no added costs on that end (if you order this week, anyway).

Latest posts