• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf Ambassador?

Nemmers

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
First question: Who do you think is the best ambassador for disc golf? (Meaning: Who do you feel would be best suited to motivate people to give the sport a try?)

Second question: Why?

Me, duh!

but seriously... it doesn't really matter? People follow others regardless of their ideals or ideas. There is no perfect athlete for being a role model nor human really. Its about how you go about it all as a human and life.

Holly gets a lot of flak online, mostly because haters gonna hate, but I think she's an excellent ambassador for the game.

Some will mention McBeth... obviously a more than solid candidate. But assuming your goal is to "grow the sport," as professional as Paul is, and great as ambassador as he might be, I think Holly is more able to reach demographics that are underrepresented in our sport.

Last edited:
Whichever disc golfer is standing next to someone who hasn't tried it.

Because the most effective way to get people to try anything is a one-on-one invitation in person.

I have to say McBeth. His professionalism and overall skill helps draw an audience that may have an altered view of disc golf. Holly and Jussi are up there as well.

Anybody. No single person can be everywhere enough to be a figurehead. How many of us can say we took up disc golf because we watched a top pro? (And if you have a top pro as a family member or friend, no that doesn't count).

EMac, JohnE, Paige Peirce, honestly he gets less attention but Philo is a great one too.

How many of us can say we took up disc golf because we watched a top pro? (And if you have a top pro as a family member or friend, no that doesn't count).

:hfive: Not a single one of them got me into throwing discs. nor did I or do I really care about them as far as continuing to play disc golf. Fun to watch? sure, sort-of ............

first choice, Daniel Tosh
second choice, Rob Dyrdek

lowest common denominator bro the sport. who's put DG on the air in front of our key demographic more than these two? these guys are our Tom Cruises.

Anybody. No single person can be everywhere enough to be a figurehead. How many of us can say we took up disc golf because we watched a top pro? (And if you have a top pro as a family member or friend, no that doesn't count).

That is a good point, but Tiger came into the public spotlight right after the golf tech revolution and helped the sport become acceptable as "cool". Not to say that DG will ever reach that level but it shows the power of having a true spokesman for the sport. As Tiger has faded, so has golf.

I think Paul is also a good choice for obvious reasons. Those skills! That hair!

That is a good point, but Tiger came into the public spotlight right after the golf tech revolution and helped the sport become acceptable as "cool". Not to say that DG will ever reach that level but it shows the power of having a true spokesman for the sport. As Tiger has faded, so has golf.
The golf market was getting over-saturated well before Tiger. It started retracting well before he began stumbling.

And about the only thing I saw Tiger ever being a spokesman for was Nike.

Its got to be mcbeth , ricky is too quiet, Uli seems ok and the rest of them are pharmacist. Mcbeth seems to be personable and clean cut and seems to keep his personal life to himself (except for the hand holding epidemic). Thats all based off my opinion and firsthand knowledge.

The golf market was getting over-saturated well before Tiger. It started retracting well before he began stumbling.

And about the only thing I saw Tiger ever being a spokesman for was Nike.

You may want to take a look at golf viewership numbers and sponsorship dollars before being so sure that Tiger had no effect as a "spokesman" for the sport.

I don't feel the pros grow the sport in any significant way. I think it's usually your friends that get you into it. I was probably several years in before i knew there were other pros not named Climo. Sure, we on here know all the names, watch all the videos, follow the NT scores, etc. but I think we're a pretty small percentage of the overall demographic.

I've been playing for some time, and I can really think of only a small handful of guys that I feel are true ambassadors, but they are so low key, most don't even know what, or how big their contributions are, most of which involves a lot of volunteer time working to improve local courses.

The best ambassadors are just the local guys/gals that love the game, and set a good example for others on the course or in the club. Many players probably don't know who Paul McBeth is.

Last edited:
You may want to take a look at golf viewership numbers and sponsorship dollars before being so sure that Tiger had no effect as a "spokesman" for the sport.
Oh, I don't doubt he had a positive impact on viewership. That's not quite the same as getting people to play golf. The fact that it was obvious a decade ago that the supply of golf courses was outstripping the demand for them shows whatever positive impact he perhaps had, was undermined by bigger issues with the sport at the recreational level.

Barsby - he's a hell of a dg'er, and very funny and approachable.

Latest posts