• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Overstable Midrange?

Best Overstable Midrange on the Market?

• Drone

Votes: 75 23.9%
  • Gator

Votes: 44 14.0%
  • Hornet

Votes: 39 12.4%
  • Pain

Votes: 34 10.8%
  • Vector

Votes: 21 6.7%
  • Wasp

Votes: 36 11.5%
  • Zone

Votes: 20 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 45 14.3%

• Total voters

JFink2011

Bogey Member
In your opinion, what is the best overstable midrange on the market right now?

I am between the zone (consistency is key) or my new pain (love the extra glide the zone can't get).

Last edited:
Are discs overstable to you if they are straight but have a strong fade?

I personally wouldn't consider the Roc or the Buzzz "overstable" but I know a lot of people who throw them in such a way where they hook left... But I would have to say these two discs are "stable".

However, that being said... Innova sure doesn't have many overstable mids for having like a million disc molds...

I picked up a Pain when my ESP Hornet started wearing down straighter. I haven't looked back. My GL Pain isn't as overstable as some others, but it's very consistent. It's got more glide so I can just power down a bit and let its low speed fade make it act more overstable when I need to (obviously not useful in windier conditions though).

this is a joke....give it a few days tand the drone will leave the rest in the dust lol

seriously though, drone.

I picked up a Pain when my ESP Hornet started wearing down straighter. I haven't looked back. My GL Pain isn't as overstable as some others, but it's very consistent. It's got more glide so I can just power down a bit and let its low speed fade make it act more overstable when I need to (obviously not useful in windier conditions though).

The pain IS over-stable but it is a SLOW speed disc which makes it hard to compare to many of the others specially the vector, buzz/wasp/hornet as many of those make good driving mids due to having decent HSS where the pain lacks.

You nailed it on the head with the tons of glide and ability to be powered down- which is the key to throwing this disc in the wind, cant snap the !@#$ out of it or it. So from shots 200' in I love the pain but harder to control at 300+.

Maybe the question should be, what features make up a GOOD OS Midrange? I could vote for multiple on here depending on the shot I wanted...

I personally wouldn't consider the Roc or the Buzzz "overstable" but I know a lot of people who throw them in such a way where they hook left... But I would have to say these two discs are "stable".

Well the Pain, Wasp, and Vector made the list. If you compare any of those discs to a Roc in star/champ plastic, or any of the "good" KC Pro and DX Ranchos you'll find them to be very similar.

There is a skewed perception of the Roc because people love to throw them in base plastics when they're beat up. Either way though, if you're looking for a meathook mid, the Drone is the most overstable. I think they're sorta worthless so I'd probably vote for the Zone after the Roc.

I carry a ESP Zone and Opto Pain. If I had to pick one, it would be the Pain. Pain is better for line shaping and does not skip as much. On windy days, for hard hyzers, and skip shots, I prefer to use my Zone.

I put hornet cause that's what I throw. I don't need stupid overstable in my mid slot, so it works quite nicely for me.

Well the Pain, Wasp, and Vector made the list. If you compare any of those discs to a Roc in star/champ plastic, or any of the "good" KC Pro and DX Ranchos you'll find them to be very similar.

There is a skewed perception of the Roc because people love to throw them in base plastics when they're beat up. Either way though, if you're looking for a meathook mid, the Drone is the most overstable. I think they're sorta worthless so I'd probably vote for the Zone after the Roc.

Prolly true, I've never thrown a Roc in champ plastic. Reason being, I'm just not a fan of it's rim. But yeah, I could've added a bunch of discs that weren't on there...

Drone. You can throw it into as much of a headwind as you want and snap it as hard as you want an know it is going to go left. If you haven't tried you, you need to. In flx. Limited edition if you can find one.