• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bicep Injury from Disc Golf

paranoid70

Bogey Member
So I think we have all read, or heard stories, or even have suffered some injuries from disc golf. Typically these are the elbow or back or knee.... but the other day I injured my bicep playing, really weird. I've been playing for over 20 years and never even felt much of twinge in my bicep before. This one came all of sudden after a really great drive. Unfortunately after a few more holes I had to drop out of the weekly round. Two days later I'm really quite sore.

I'm wondering if playing with a compression sleeve on my arm may have contributed to it. The pain is kind of local to the where the sleeve stopped on my arm... not at the elbow or the shoulder, but right in the middle of the muscle. I like the support the sleeve gives to my elbow when I'm playing, but does feel tight on my arm. I just wonder if using it had something to do with injuring the bicep. Also, I'm 46 so injuries do become more common unfortunately.

Has anyone else dealt with a bicep injury? Even if it was from weightlifting or something else. I pretty much assume the treatment is ice and rest.

Sorry to bore the forum with more injury threads.

Yeah, I've done that one, too.

Mine was a strain to the bicep tendon---the one that runs from the muscle to the elbow. I didn't do it playing disc golf, but working on a disc golf course, specifically swinging a hammer building benches and bridges, something I rarely do. One morning I couldn't lift my coffee cup. And couldn't throw anything without pain in the muscle....not discs, not little pieces of gravel. Of course, I kept testing it.

After a few weeks I went to an orthopedist. The remedy was extra-strength prescription anti-inflammatories, and no throwing for a month or so.

But count your blessings. I've known two people who tore one of those tendons. They said the muscle curled up in their arm, and it took surgery and a six-month recovery. One quit disc golf. So be careful before you push things.

Perhaps you already do this, but...

Stretching and getting loose before you play is often overlooked. It's a good practice for anyone, but becomes increasingly important when you get to be "our age." Not saying it would have prevented your bicep injury, but you're less likely to do damage to muscles or connective tissue if you spend a few minutes stretching prior to playing... or any sort of activity, really.

Youngun's may blow this off, but as you get into the age protected divisions, loosening up really helps.

Last edited: