• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you critique my newbie bag and make it better?

Jank

First, I play 10-15 times a year and I've been playing for 5-7 years. I'm decent but I can only drive like 250-300. I can generate a full s turn on a new DX valkryie. If it's beat in, I generally overthrow it. Here's my current bag, looking for other discs to try:

Putters:
1 floppy wizard
1 hard wizard

Midrange:
Buzz

Fairway driver:
Teebird 166

Rain disc (if it's wet out or I need something really grippy):
Vibram Trak 162

Into the wind disc:
Orion LF Sirius 170

Super overstable disc for trick shots or if I need something heavy overstable that won't turn over:
Predator Z 169

Open Fairway Drivers:
Valkryie DX (use this on a hole which might have a pond and I don't wanna lose other discs)
Valkryie Pro (beat in disc, predictable flight)

With the wind or no wind:
Blizzard Wraith (not sure what the weight is on this but it's super light and I can throw it 10 yards further than my valk in no winds or with wind)

Wondering what else I should try to graduate to or try? Should i try a wildcat? what can I try that might give me more distance than a Valk? Should I add a roadrunner for roller shots (i rarely take these)

Please keep me to under 11 discs if possible in the bag. Shouldn't be too hard.

You're gonna be told to buy every disc in the book, don't. Go out and learn to throw the discs you have. A good player can throw the discs you're turning over by controlling the throw, angles etc. I'd advise you to do that, use what you have to improve your technique.

Good Luck!

You're gonna be told to buy every disc in the book, don't. Go out and learn to throw the discs you have. A good player can throw the discs you're turning over by controlling the throw, angles etc. I'd advise you to do that, use what you have to improve your technique.

Good Luck!

Agree. Also, you only play 10-15 times a year?!? I don't want to hear any excuses about 'family' or 'career'. Get on the course more than that my friend.

Yea but I've had these discs forever, I'm just kinda bored with them. I haven't bought a disc in 2 years. Just looking for something alittle newer to give me alittle more excitement.

That really doesn't answer the question but thanks for your assistance.

The Tern is a higher speed driver. If you add that, the Blizz Wraith is the natural disc to remove. Didn't realize I had to hold your hand.

You are welcome for the assistance.

For more distance than a Valk, you might try a Dynamic Discs Renegade or Discmania TD. Having said that, your current bag is okay, and you should evaluate what discs you need for the courses you play most. (The ol' 'horses for courses'.)

BTW, I like my Blizzard TeeDevil just fine.

Good Luck!

Good advice.

Yea but I've had these discs forever, I'm just kinda bored with them. I haven't bought a disc in 2 years. Just looking for something alittle newer to give me alittle more excitement.

Evaluate what kind of shot you are missing and then research discs that might fill that shot for you. That said, you have a decent setup and I would refer you to the first quote again.

Maybe you could try a more understable fairway driver. Maybe a star leopard would be a good disc to try. As long as there is little to no wind, I find understable discs much easier to throw. They take much less effort to get them where you want them. That's the name of the game to me. The harder you throw, the more control and accuracy you sacrifice. So instead of throwing a teebird really hard, or possibly even trying to flex it to get it where you want, you can very easily throw something less stable.

Try a new manufacturer if you want a cheap thrill. The Atom/Envy MVP as well as the Volt and Crave are really nice and could give you some interesting feel that your not getting currently. The former are shallow putters that are very stable but don't fade hard and you can play some fun lines with them. The latter are very long and straight fairway drivers that look like they wold be in your wheelhouse arm speed wise.

Some of the Trillogy stuff is really fun too, the Truth is like a bit of a longer Buzzz, Harp is a very overstable approach disc that I love and many others do as well, and the River is a very popular fairway that people with your arm speed seem to do will with. Seems like an updated Valk.

There is nothing wrong with your setup, but if part of what makes the game fun for your is trying new things, go with it! Heck I just did a bag swap round with a buddy and it was a blast, highly recommend.

If you're bored, you're bored, I get that. Buy what ever floats your boat but, if you can't break 300ft with a Valkyrie (no matter how old and boring) there is no magical disc that's going to get you there. Try a Tern if you like, I'll wager a new Tern is going to fly shorter than your beat Valk.

Do you want to improve and get out of your boredom rut? My suggestions? Get a Pro or G* Leopard and a Comet.

If you're just bored, buy the prettiest disc you like.

The Krait is Innovas most under-rated distance driver IMHO, speed 11- very straight and managable, great for forehands, since it seems to resist High speed turn rather well- If i could carry only 1 distance driver it would be the Krait!