• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Characterizing the top players

bortimus

Par Member
First, a disclaimer: Any top touring pro player is obviously strong in all of these categories. I'm just curious to see where those on this board who know more about players than I do would place them.

Four categories:

Power players (generally play well on more open courses due to their distance advantage)
Kallstrom, Jenkins, Brinster

Technical players (the more tightly wooded, the better)
Schultz? He seems to be able to throw unbelievably straight on those MSDGC DVDs

Putting masters (need a putt to save your life? Pick one of these guys)
?

Shotmaking wizards (use creativity and a mixed bag of shots to score/ get out of trouble in unorthodox ways)

Schweberger

Suggest other categories as you see fit. I haven't seen enough footage of top players to make many good judgements.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5223

We shouldn't even add Ken Climo. He is the man, owns the sport and excels in all categories. Enough said.

Oh wait, let me add a person/category.

Best Thumber: Monty Koz

Fritz, thanks for the link. My bad.

You can delete this thread if you feel it is too redundant.

dgdave said:
1. Climo

2. Climo

3. Climo

4. Climo

I'm gonna have to agree, Climo is the man, he is everything an amateur disc golfer wants to be.

dgdave said:
1. Climo

2. Climo

3. Climo

4. Climo
I think Climo isn't that much a power player, but he is so strong on the other three parts that it doesn't matter. Big up for the champ!

Aaron_D said:
longest measured throw 555'...hes not exactly weak in that department either...
Christian Sandström threw a dx Valkyrie 250m (250 meters = 820.209974
feet), but he can do "only" 160m(524') or so in disc golf. I bet Climo can't do
500+' in DG accurately :)

tumpsi said:
I bet Climo can't do
500+' in DG accurately :)
I bet that Sandstrom will never be as strong as Kenny is in the other categories though. I'd rather have a balanced game than an 800' cannon.

But maybe that's just me. ;)

sleepy

Watch clash at renny. Kenny out drives Doss, Feldberg, Schweby, Gill, and Barry on some of the long hole. I would say that's a lot of power.

Putting masters (need a putt to save your life? Pick one of these guys)
Jay Reading. He does not throw as far as many players on tour, but pretty much if he's within 40 feet it's in. I actually got the honor of him being my doubles partner at league last summer. I didn;t have to make many putts.

dgdave said:
Watch clash at renny. Kenny out drives Doss, Feldberg, Schweby, Gill, and Barry on some of the long hole. I would say that's a lot of power.
I've seen Kenny playing 2 times, both at European Open. Both times Feldberg,
Jenkins, a couple of Finns, Swedes, and other big handed players outdrived
Kenny. He sure does big drives, but a fistful of players can do farther than he
does.

Kenny has a good pro arm, but these days, I think the 400-425 is pretty standard for a top pro. That said, I don't think Kenny would look at a 500' flat hole and try to go for it with all drive, like Feldberg or Jenkins could.

Kenny can throw far, but his key strength is his putting without a doubt. That, and being able to drive straight.

I would say that one thing that has stuck out to me watching the last 2 final rounds at the MSDGC is how good pros are at course management. Rarely do you see a pro take anything over a bogey, and even that id say is much more rare due to their ability to get up and down from wherever their drive lands. I was really impressed watching some great outs and then saves for either a par or a bogey when most ams would have tried to get it all in one throw and ended up with double or tripple bogey at least.

Furthur said:
Kenny has a good pro arm, but these days, I think the 400-425 is pretty standard for a top pro.
Even i can do 400', and i'm pretty far from a pro, played only three years
I'm going to play the domestic am-tour for the first time this summer.
The finnish elite of disc golf drives around 500', and a fistful of players can do
over 600' when going for max d.

That said, I don't think Kenny would look at a 500' flat hole and try to go for it with all drive, like Feldberg or Jenkins could.

Kenny can throw far, but his key strength is his putting without a doubt. That, and being able to drive straight.
What he said.

i was at the beaver state fling last year and noticed kenny was using rollers for any long open shots

1-Markus Coda

2-Barry Moser

3-McCabe Moser

4-Me because I use both hands to my advantage when in the crap.

5- Making a sick shot when it is a must--------Coda

Latest posts