• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Collapsed power pocket

Kjimsern

Par Member
So ive fixed the collapsed powerpocket problem.

But when i try to help others and explain why it happens, i actually dont quite understand how it happens and how to remove it.

The options i look at is.

1. lower reachback

2. reaching more out

3. elbow above the disc during pull through.

4. Something that im missing

Here is an example, video is my new vs old form when i had that problem in the past.

If you have any clue on why it happens, let me know 🫡

Heres a link with the example.

https://youtube.com/shorts/lPwduPfnoV4?feature=share

So ive fixed the collapsed powerpocket problem.

But when i try to help others and explain why it happens, i actually dont quite understand how it happens and how to remove it.

The options i look at is.

1. lower reachback

2. reaching more out

3. elbow above the disc during pull through.

4. Something that im missing

Here is an example, video is my new vs old form when i had that problem in the past.

If you have any clue on why it happens, let me know 🫡

Heres a link with the example.

https://youtube.com/shorts/lPwduPfnoV4?feature=share

I cannot really tell whats going on in that video.
Also its pushing as a short which doesn't help either.

Collapsed arm or hugging yourself can be caused by a bunch of things.

Spin and throw, squish the bug, throw the hips. "pulling" and "muscling" in different forms.

When someone is hugging themselves its because they are dragging their arm usually, or trying to drive the shot to much in the wrong ways vs letting the kinetic chain drive the shot.

Our job is to lightly touch the steering wheel while we mash on the gas.
The harder we grip the wheel, the more mistakes we are going to make during the swing.

There are a few ways to get people to stop.

Telling them to try and maintain shoulder of 90° or greater but letting their elbow be loose.
Telling people to "try and pocket deep and keep the elbow up"

Setting people up in a bit wider format on their backswing can help sometimes. but you have to explain to them that they need to get the elbow forward in their swing.

the last 2 in person lessons I've done were with people who hug themselves.
One was an older gentleman and he was really struggling with it.

The hardest part is trying to teach them ways to get through it and you need them to do, for instance, the beto drill.
But they wanna throw normal.

Youtube is KILLING YOUR GAINS! (Jeff Cavalier, AthleanX).

I would over compensate by sticking the elbow out, almost like pointing it to the target. This usually does the trick for them, who over do it the opposite way. Also the McBeth/Jenkins pump might help because you make the angle bigger and push the elbow out that way.

I'm not anywhere near as expert as the rest here but this is what I think I see.

In both throws your throwing shoulder is lower than the off arm shoulder in the backswing.

In the upper throw it stays mostly below until the hit. In the lower throw it pops up to level as soon as you start the forward movement. Why? No idea. but your rear hip moves clockwise at that time and I think maybe that pops the shoulder up.

Hard to say with such a short sequence. There can be so many reasons; improper posture, rounding, early extension, too much lateral movement etc. Probably a combination of many factors.

Try a more closed move - turn back and butt towards target, build more momentum into the power pocket before opening the shoulder - SW22 has a video that emphasizes the power in a closed stance that is braced versus the shoulder and chest opening too early - less power when your arm is flailing across an open shoulder and chest.

And remember, we want momentum, not muscles, stay loose.

Don't drop your elbow, keep it loose and throw around your elbow, like a trebuchet.

I changed it to a regular video here, sorry about that. Should be easier to see now.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-R-ZUnr6dXY?feature=share

Edit: its getting pushed as a short either way.

Youtube is killing me.

Its not the short issue. its the godawful slow motion. hahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-ZUnr6dXY

All you gotta do is put the base link to the correct URL. Easier on computer, most people phone users now days.

Any short clips that are filmed or setup in vertical video will auto play is shorts. =)