• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses on Cross Country Ski Complex

superberry

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Having relocated to the outdoor wooded paradise which is the Upper Peninsula, I am fully immersed in an explosion of disc golf here. We've started work by improving one of the small 9er courses, and our new 18-hole catalyst course in Marquette is 75% complete. Two 18ers are set to open in Escanaba this summer also! We've formed a 501c3 organization dedicated to th development of public recreational facilities.

So, now that winter is here and I've been cross country skiing tons on the unbelievable amount of trails up here, my disc golf course design sickness is in full effect! I see holes everywhere. These ski trails have the property to support disc golf complexes of 3 or more courses.

I am interred in hearing more from anyon who has been intimately involved with disc golf at cross country ski complexes. What are the pros and cons? I'm trying to pitch and propose these properties because they will offer relative ease of installation. I'm assuming use of the trails for half of the holes with the other half cutting through the surrounding woods to fully utilize the property with good flow. No tees or basket will be on any trail - always tucked off the side so that there is no interference. After all, skiing is the primary concern of these landowners.

I feel that with the economic downturn, budget cuts, and a low population density that the landowners can create a viable summer season income by establishing disc golf. The disc golf maintenance will also help reduce the prep work needed to get ready for skiing of we're removing dead and fallen trees, branches, and even mowing the trails. How can I help sell the harmony and balance that can be achieved with disc golf summer use at winter ski trails?

I appreciate the input!

Don Ticknor at Tower Ridge I & II in Eau Claire would be involved with one of the better known dual use facilities. Elver in Madison closses for X-Country (Duster Don Hoffman).

I feel that with... a low population density that the landowners can create a viable summer season income by establishing disc golf.

Huh ? Please explain.

Check out Base Camp Outfitters in VT. Ski and snowshoe trails in winter, disc golf in summer. The owner is really passionate about both. I'm sure he could sell the idea to other similar businesses.

Another great activity for cross-country complexes is mt. biking, so you're right to consider the placement of baskets to not interfere with trail use. Sun Mountain near Winthrop in the North Cascades is a fine example. However, they do not have dg yet: if they put in 2-3 nice courses, they could become a weekend destination for more than one activity.

By low population density I was also incorporating the fact that the primary land use is winter skiing. Thus, with the low number of people in the area, summer use is EXTREMELY limited. There is no motorized vehicle use on the land. Horse riders are almost non-existent, and with all the other trail networks in the city of Marquette and the neighboring cities, there is basically no one on the land in summer. Establishing a disc golf course (which our new charitable organizations would develop, purchase, and maintain) could also generate some donation money to help the land use improvements in general, simply by offering an activity that would fit in perfect for summer use of the land. Despite the low population density in the UP in general, here in Marquette where we're focusing our efforts (we all live here) there is a college with 7500 students, a city metro area of around 60,000 with a huge culture of outdoor activity (100 miles of Singletrack biking, 150km ski trails, and lots of improved paths around the cities), and a vibrant feel complete with stuff not found in such small towns like 4 microbreweries, variety of cuisine, and huge tourism draw. By giving residents a dedicated use on a property, it wil draw a good amount of players. Disc golf is missing from the mix up here, but the culture not only embraces it, they say they miss it - "I stopped discing when I moved to the UP because there were no good courses".

Don Ticknor at Tower Ridge I & II in Eau Claire would be involved with one of the better known dual use facilities. Elver in Madison closses for X-Country (Duster Don Hoffman).

Tower Ridge and Standing Rocks are two courses which are my favorites, and I use them often as examples and references.

There are several Cross-country ski trails near my parents house in Plymouth, MN that would make great courses. Great idea and a great use of that land.

By low population density I was also incorporating the fact that the primary land use is winter skiing. Thus, with the low number of people in the area, summer use is EXTREMELY limited... Despite the low population density in the UP in general, here in Marquette where we're focusing our efforts (we all live here) there is a college with 7500 students, a city metro area of around 60,000
OK, gotcha. Low population density has a whole different meaning for me... 60,000 is huge, go for it. Why worry about baskets on the trails, just pull em when the snow falls. Perfect non-conflicting multiple-use concept.

The skiers won't like people making footprints across their trails in the winter anyway, whether or not the baskets are in the way. Pulling it for winter will eliminate that possibility of conflict.

Last edited:
I recognize the winter traffic would be an issue. The players who don't ski don't get it, thinking the basket and tee are out of the way, who cares? But lots of players trampling across groomed ski trails is a safety risk and a maintenance headache. Disc golf would strictly be an off-winter season activity.

OK, gotcha. Low population density has a whole different meaning for me... 60,000 is huge, go for it. Why worry about baskets on the trails, just pull em when the snow falls. Perfect non-conflicting multiple-use concept.

I guess what I really mean about low density is the fact that between metro areas, the rural is very low density, and the distances are 1 to 2 hrs. So, it's like trying to sell a course to the entire UP for everyone's use, but really catering to the local metro residents and businesses to get things done and be the primary users.

I recognize the winter traffic would be an issue. The players who don't ski don't get it, thinking the basket and tee are out of the way, who cares? But lots of players trampling across groomed ski trails is a safety risk and a maintenance headache. Disc golf would strictly be an off-winter season activity.

99.99% of the winter disc golf is just me. I promise to bring a shovel/rake and fill my divots.

Latest posts