• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Current Bags for a DIY Golf Backpack

bigeman101

I want to just make a DIY backpack to save some money but Im having trouble finding bags that will work for it. I keep hearing about the XPG Angler but its out of production. Any ideas on another good bag that is backpack style?

I would recommend my bag, but it too is discontinued. I have seen it for sale randomly though on the web in different places at different times.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90352

I posted a picture of it in that thread. The swiss gear internal frame hiking back.

jonespongpilot posted after me and said he had one to sell since he doesn't use it anymore, if you're interested.

This is going to be my next project.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_232181_-1

Someone posted using an older version of this backpack a couple years ago but it got buried in the "Cabela's FTW" movement and never really got any attention.

It's $30 online, but I'm not sure what shipping would run. They have free shipping over $40, so it might be better to just grab a couple golf towels or something for $10 instead of paying the shipping. If you have an Academy Sports near you, though, you can just grab one.

For another $10 or so you can hunt down a U-channel divider and it looks like it can drop right in. PVC frames or Plexiglas might work as well to sturdy up the back. Overall it looks like a cheap, simple option. I'm not sure what Academy's stock is like on these bags. They seem to be the exclusive retailer of these.

Here's a couple pics of what it can look like converted. ***These are not my pics*** Also, the top putter pocket is a modification and doesn't come out of the box like that. Although it doesn't seem too complicated.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 310
This is going to be my next project.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_232181_-1

Someone posted using an older version of this backpack a couple years ago but it got buried in the "Cabela's FTW" movement and never really got any attention.

It's $30 online, but I'm not sure what shipping would run. They have free shipping over $40, so it might be better to just grab a couple golf towels or something for $10 instead of paying the shipping. If you have an Academy Sports near you, though, you can just grab one.

For another $10 or so you can hunt down a U-channel divider and it looks like it can drop right in. PVC frames or Plexiglas might work as well to sturdy up the back. Overall it looks like a cheap, simple option. I'm not sure what Academy's stock is like on these bags. They seem to be the exclusive retailer of these.

Here's a couple pics of what it can look like converted. ***These are not my pics*** Also, the top putter pocket is a modification and doesn't come out of the box like that. Although it doesn't seem too complicated.

Took your advice on my way home from league play today. Stopped at Academy and grabbed a 5.99 stool and this bag. Got home took the dividers out of my deluxe innova bag, took some padding out of the back of the new magellen bag and popped my divders in there. Worked out well. Bag looks nice as well. Only downside is I need to do some mods to make a putter pocket. Only 29.99 in store and they had 2 in stock when I went there. Heres a pic:

20130622_154649.jpg

20130622_154659.jpg

couldnt edit the pics but, i was able pretty easily to make the front into a putter pocket.

20130622_160352.jpg

couldnt edit the pics but, i was able pretty easily to make the front into a putter pocket.

20130622_160352.jpg

Hard to tell exactly, how many discs are in there? It'd be awesome if you could post a couple more pics too.
I tried the Cabela - added a seat-frame and sewed on a drink holder but it only carries 14-15 easily and I need a few more than that.

And how exactly did you do the front pocket?

Hard to tell exactly, how many discs are in there? It'd be awesome if you could post a couple more pics too.
I tried the Cabela - added a seat-frame and sewed on a drink holder but it only carries 14-15 easily and I need a few more than that.

And how exactly did you do the front pocket?

Looks like he's got 18 in the main compartment with at least 5 mids/putters. So 20 with the two in the front.

Looks like he's got 18 in the main compartment with at least 5 mids/putters. So 20 with the two in the front.

Correct. There is 20 in there with the 2 putters in the front pocket. 5 mids, the rest fairway or high speed drivers.I could actually fit 3-4 more drivers in there pretty easily. Those were the discs in my old bag, I may add another 2 or 3 to this one.

I had bought the walmart Mountain Trails backpack, which was a knockoff of the cabella bag. I built a frame for the bottom, but the top part of the bottom compartment was making the discs not very easy to get out. Plus, capacity wasnt as big as I'd like. I prefer the top loading of the discs, this one is SUPER easy to get the discs out. I took out the insert and the discs rest comfortably in there with the u-channel divider. PVC frame could easily be used instead if need be. All I did was tuck the front of the bag down. For the putters, I just folded the front inner pocket and it easily made a pouch. I will need to make stops for the zippers, or small safety pins for added piece of mind, but they didnt move much while I tested it out. I may glue the divider behind the discs, just so it doesnt hang forward a little. Isnt affecting anything, just for looks. Also, storage in the back compartment is more limited in this type of bag vs cabellas style, but, there is room for a few things. I'll be testing this bag out on the course probably tomorrow, but, I feel like it will hold up very well.

I had bought the walmart Mountain Trails backpack

If this IS a knock-off, it's a swissgear knock off. It looks so similar.

I was looking into this bag as a replacement if/when my current swissgear DIY finally dies, but couldn't find a whole lot of info.

But I found on the Wenzel/SwissGear site several Mountain Trails items.

So is it a knockoff, or was there renaming and this bag is VERY similar to our swissgears DIYs?

this is the thread I found the walmart trail bag.... http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49552

Its similar to the cabella one. This new bag is similar to a swiss gear bag that I have for class. In fact, my swiss gear bag is behind it in the pics. I didnt like the mountain trails one. The bottom compartment only allowed 15 or so discs and they were difficult to get out because of the fabric hanging over the top of them. I could have cut it, but, defeats the purpose to me. This new bag, I can fit around 24 or so discs, and have a small amount of space to store some other stuff in the back compartment. No mods are necessary to make it functional. The mountain trails one had way more storage though.So, if u want to carry a lot of extra stuff and dont mind cutting it up to make it work, it may be a batter option.

Maybe because the bags don't sell very well for their intended purpose, and only to the small minority of DIYers wanting a DG backpack.

Plus companies just like to make new stuff, change, seem cutting edge, etc.

Sucks though...

Why is it that whenever a really good diy bag comes out it gets discontinued like the cabelas and under armour?

Latest posts