• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Dart Fans Post Here!

TalbotTrojan

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
The R-Pro Dart

After reading just about everything I can find online about this disc that should be in stores on Monday, I find myself super excited. Is anyone else out there as excited as I am about this disc? Has anyone seen one or held one that might be able to curb my enthusiasm? Basically I love the idea of the small diameter disc that has no turn or fade. I am only slightly concerned about the speed of the disc since I am used to putting with a slower disc but I think that is only going to be a minor adjustment. I am also hoping that this will be an even better approach disc as well, mostly because of the speed.

If the Dart had been around for years and the Aero was the new disc coming out, would our anticipation be the same?

From what I hear, it is essentially a small-diameter Aero in a plastic similar to the Omega Supersoft plastic. I guess the SS plastic is hard to work with, but they have come up with some improvements to make it mold up better. The smaller diameter gives it less glide than the Aero, which will reduce some of the blow-by problems you get from putting with an Aero. People who like the Aero as a putt and approach disc might be able to use these as a combo, keeping the Aero for approaches and long putts ans using the Dart for putts and approaches where you can't afford to go long.

If the Dart had been around for years and the Aero was the new disc coming out, would our anticipation be the same?
Beat me to it...:mad:

Innova has basically re-done a lot of their Putters and Mid Range discs. An example is the Stingray and Kite. They really are designed for the same shots. The Stingray is an old standby that still sells well in DX, but when it was tried in Champ and Star the resulting disc was not very Stingray-ish. The Kite is a smaller, faster discs that was designed to be run in Star. A lot of new players won't touch DX with a ten-foot pole, so having disc that flies like a Stingray is supposed to in Star is important to them. So you tend to see old guys with DX Stingrays and new guys with Star Kites. However, they are really very similar discs used for the same shots.

When I saw the Dart, I thought Dart is to Aero as Kite is to Stingray. It's the new Aero for the new generation of players in new plastic for the DX haters.

I think it is going to get very confusing in the next couple of years. It makes me appreciate Millennium's flight chart even though I do not have any of their discs.

I'm a huge fan of the Gateway magic in the supersoft mold, so to hear about this new disc is really exciting. I'm putting an order in right away.

I'm a huge fan of the Gateway magic in the supersoft mold, so to hear about this new disc is really exciting. I'm putting an order in right away.
From what I understand, expect the feel to be very different. The Magic has a basically flat top. The Dart evidently has a rather large dome.

I think it is going to get very confusing in the next couple of years. It makes me appreciate Millennium's flight chart even though I do not have any of their discs.
In a few years? Right now from just Innova you can choose from a Gator, Pig, Roc, Cro, Shark, Classic Roc, Hydra, Spider, Coyote, Goblin, Dart, Aero, XD, Cobra, Skeeter, Panther, Kite, Stingray and Wolf for a mid-range disc. Not to mention putters like the Rhyno, Birdie, Polecat, Sonic and FIVE variations of the Aviar. Anybody know the difference between all these discs off the top of your head? Not only are there 24 different discs to choose from, if you count the various plastic combinations there are 51 discs listed here. I'm really glad I'm not a new player, because that would be confusing as all Hell.

It makes it really hard for me to get excited about the Dart. I'm not sure what it could possibly add to your game that you couldn't already get from another disc that is already on the market.

The reality certainly is that everything new is exciting and as such I believe if it were the Aero that was coming out now we would all still be very excited. I think the biggest improvement is the diameter size. I am not a huge fan of changing diameter size and as such like the fact that they were able to make a no turn, no fade disc in this smaller size. The extra glide will certainly make it a better approach disc than my Aviar or so I think as that has been my one complaint about the Aviar. I also like the fact that the new plastic is supposed to be super soft. I am sure that I will be disappointed with the plastic once I get it into my hand as I am hoping that it will be super soft and flexible, something to stop some of the roll away that I get with my Champion Aviar, especially on those sloped hills that somehow always end up with baskets on them. I do really like the idea that the no turn, no fade may also give me more control of thsoe approach shots. Now I only have myself to blame when I end up more than 10' away.

In a few years? Right now from just Innova you can choose from a Gator, Pig, Roc, Cro, Shark, Classic Roc, Hydra, Spider, Coyote, Goblin, Dart, Aero, XD, Cobra, Skeeter, Panther, Kite, Stingray and Wolf for a mid-range disc. Not to mention putters like the Rhyno, Birdie, Polecat, Sonic and FIVE variations of the Aviar. Anybody know the difference between all these discs off the top of your head? Not only are there 24 different discs to choose from, if you count the various plastic combinations there are 51 discs listed here. I'm really glad I'm not a new player, because that would be confusing as all Hell.

It makes it really hard for me to get excited about the Dart. I'm not sure what it could possibly add to your game that you couldn't already get from another disc that is already on the market.

What you said here is so true. I cant help but wonder if this new trend of releasing and rereleasing discs so fast and so much is really good for the sport. It seems like overkill to me ... so many new discs are, like you said, just a slight variation of another disc. I agree that it just makes it confusing for new people.

Oh, and why do people hate DX so much ... I generally like my midrange and putters in DX ...

I hate DX because I live in the mountains, thousands of trees, granite and lava rocks. DX discs to me are like a match, 1 time use. I'll pick up a Dart I guess and just add it to the 50 putters in the back yard. I've changed putters so much that I can do it again to myself. Although I got buddies that uses Gateway rubber putters and I like the feel of it. Hmmmm we'll see.

When I saw the Dart, I thought Dart is to Aero as Kite is to Stingray. It's the new Aero for the new generation of players in new plastic for the DX haters.
i disagree. i think that this is innovas answer to the soft magnet. the aviar is the #1 putter but the magnet is streadily gaining.

apparantly i'm way behind on this one, i didn't even know this disc was going to be released?! i guess i'm not spending enough time on here, i'll have to do better.

looks like a nice addition to innova's p&a section.

i disagree. i think that this is innovas answer to the soft magnet. the aviar is the #1 putter but the magnet is streadily gaining.
I suppose anything is possible.

Way back in the day I was hanging around where some players were talking to Dave Dunipace, I think it was at a KC Wide Open. Anyway, somebody said something about Innova "copying" the Cyclone with the Gazelle. Dave D said it wasn't possible because he doesn't look at or throw discs from other companies. He said his disc ideas came to him in dreams and he never paid any attention to what other companies were doing. If you believe that (and I'm not sure that I do) then Innova would not be doing anything in reaction to another companies disc.

I suppose anything is possible.

Way back in the day I was hanging around where some players were talking to Dave Dunipace, I think it was at a KC Wide Open. Anyway, somebody said something about Innova "copying" the Cyclone with the Gazelle. Dave D said it wasn't possible because he doesn't look at or throw discs from other companies. He said his disc ideas came to him in dreams and he never paid any attention to what other companies were doing. If you believe that (and I'm not sure that I do) then Innova would not be doing anything in reaction to another companies disc.

have you seen pictures of him lately? he looks kind of old. maybe they came to him in his sleep years ago. it would be impossible not to know what the other companies are doing. especially if you want to stay ahead of the curve with how fast our sport is growing.

Latest posts