• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

design challenge

drkchoclover

I haven't been discing for long, and I went on a road trip to meet my sister in Arizona. Thought I'd stop at the course that was most convenient, but I was sadly disappointed. I played holes 1 and 2, but stopped at hole 3. This was my view... with a sign saying NO WADING I wondered how I might get my disc back if I managed to get it in the basket.

Attachments

• 20150318_115922_zpsnvtgx1on.jpg
    20150318_115922_zpsnvtgx1on.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 107
Could the course have been flooded?

Course maps appear to show two completely different layouts. Presumably one is to be played when the "normal" layout floods... that's my take on it.

It was definitely flooded! I couldn't find any other basket 3 though... dI never thought to look online at the map. Live and learn I guess!

The hole map has all that blue, which makes it seem like it is supposed to be water. Maybe there should be a kayak tethered to the tee sign pole.

It looks like they put a padlock on the sign by the basket you are supposed to play to- but its in the wrong spot.

Interesting...the last review mentions the possible failure of berms, meaning the course could be permanently flooded.

By looking at the photos on DGCR, it looks like the basket isn't supposed to be i water. It was most likely just flooded. If that was the actual design, it would be one helluva hole ;)

Marana Rock is flooded because of a levy break on the Santa Cruz River. The break will not be repaired. Looks like the water is there to stay (until it evaporates). Every time the river runs, it will refill the course. So sad that Tucson just lost the best course in the area.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

That blows - I feel so bad for mike anderson and all the others who put time into making it a reality.

Maybe we need a levy repair kickstarter or go fund me page to get it fixed.

From Facebook:

Marana DG Club said:
Marana Disc Golf Course Update:

I have wanted to update those that follow our page, our club members, and anyone that enjoys disc golf in Marana. As most of you know, the original Marana Rock course remains flooded after the monsoons in 2014. The wall that used to prevent water from flowing in on the fairway of hole 17 was demolished by the Santa Cruz River and we now have a constant flow of water fed by the water treatment facility which is maintaining the current level of water. This is very disappointing to most of us and has been hard to accept that we are unable to play one of the most beautiful courses in Arizona. Many of us have spent countless hours improving and maintaining this course and it has been difficult seeing the devastation from the Santa Cruz River. I think most people would place The Rock in their top 3-5 courses in Arizona. Some of us still have hopes that the course will dry up again some day so lets keep those hopes up! Unfortunately, there is no plan by the Town of Marana to fix the break in the levee to prevent further flooding as it would require approval by the Army Corp of Engineers and would be very costly.

With that being said, we have been working closely with the Marana Parks and Rec department in hopes of finding a new piece of land to develop a new course, but it is important to know that we are in the beginning stages and we do not have a specific location chosen or any idea how long this might take. We will keep you posted as we learn more.

We currently have our perimeter course in place which plays on the high ground with 18 holes using 9 baskets. There is a course map on the bulletin board at the course. This is a very fun and challenging course with some concrete and some natural tee pads. League still runs at 8AM on Saturday mornings (currently doubles).

Now on to The Lockdown. Given that we have been unsure of the status of the Marana course it has been extremely difficult to plan for our annual tournament in March. Obviously, first and foremost was the fact that we will not have our original course in time for the tournament (we now recognize this as reality). Although we will not have The Rock, we are working to plan a 1 day/2 round tournament towards the end of March. We are still working out details and will keep you posted.

As previously posted, be courteous to others that are sharing our course. There are many bird watchers out at Marana now and they may be clueless about disc golf. Make sure you represent disc golf in a positive light!

Thank you,
Chad M.
MDGC President

From the article Martin linked...

"I think it ought to try to turn it into a permanent lake," said Bryan Ryder. "They will need to maintain it and make sure it is safe, but I think it could be another Silverbell Lake for this area."
Apparently Bryan Ryder doesn't play disc golf.... :\

Latest posts