• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 Dynamic Discs Open Apr 28-May 1

Post round interview with Ricky, he was talking about how tough the conditions are both mentally and physically--which is what he prepares himself for. I think that's very true. His obsession with his health and fitness seem to be paying off.

I think they are out on that event's thread. As are others, for other events. Have fun searching. Usually near the end of the thread.

It would probably be more accurate to say OB multiplies the consequences of randomness. However, it also multiplies the impact of poor play. Usually, the net result is a better separation of players by skill. It looks like this much wind and this much OB might have tipped the balance toward muddling.

Proving or measuring randomness is not at all easy. I am working on something. In the meantime, looking at the graphs gives you a pretty good sense of whether a course produced jerky results or smooth.

The FPO chart in particular looks bad (subjectively) because it smooshes together a lot of skill levels into similar scores.

As Chuck pun-ted out, I was an actuary.

I see your point regarding randomness and ob making for a bigger swings in the impact of said randomness. I think this would probably mostly apply to wooded courses including OB. I would suspect open courses would minimize the randomness of OB. I also get Chuck's point regarding how punitive OB is messing up risk/reward and itself adding a level of randomness when the consequences of OB can be very different hole to hole.

I think that will be their biggest lesson here prior to worlds. How do we appropriately adjust risk/reward and accuracy reward while minimizing randomness.

On a side note, It'd be cool to see strokes gained data for each aspect of the game in all the different permutations of design and weather, to see what conclusions could be drawn. Does wind equalize or emphasize putting skill for example?

Have you been able to draw any such conclusions or started any threads specific to course design or conditions highlighting such?

If you want to see "good" OB penalty design, the goal would seem to be shooting for 60-90% of the players getting an OB stroke on a hole so that penalty stroke would be incorporated in the par value, i.e., not getting a penalty results in a birdie. A good example of that design is hole 16 for FPO today with 38 OB penalties out of 45 players (84% but a few had two OBs). There were 48% bogeys and 20% "pars", nothing better. If the par were set at 4 instead of 3, there would have been 48% pars and 20% birdies, the kind of distribution that seems normal on holes with no OB. Not saying it's a fun design but it would seem to fit better scoring-wise with good non-OB holes.

Will this be the first round that any of us have witnessed where McBeth has no birdies.

Will this be the first round that any of us have witnessed where McBeth has no birdies.

At the moment, there are only a few players in the entire field that are below par.. could also be some kind of record. :popcorn:

Side-note: Honestly, if I had grown up in Kansas, I'm pretty sure disc golf would never have been a sport I would have considered. 25mph winds all the time?! I think I would have found an indoor sport. :p

What are the announcers talking about?

Smith's shot was clearly in by several feet and TOUCHED.... I just rewound the footage.... and then it took a crazy turn and went out... and they are saying he's getting a break.. the group saw it touch and it was about pin high....

Just some terrible announcing. They must have the crappiest monitors or memories or eyes.

Ultiworld article says Kona tested negative but withdraw so to not put card mates (and others) at possible risk. I respect that. Seems she was within her right within the rules to play the round. So much "rules this" and "personal choice that," so kudos to her to prioritizing exposure reduction for others.

Who knows what conversations were happening behind the scenes or if she was experiencing symptoms. She would seem to be the closest competitor contact of a person who tested positive.