• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT All-Star Weekend 2021

DannyS

Bogey Member
After initially planning to pursue match play, the new format will be stroke play doubles on Saturday followed by singles on Sunday. Players will be paired up based on their seeding — 1&8, 2&7, 3&6, 4&5 from within their division — and play 18 holes on Saturday on the nine-hole safari layout. The first nine holes will played as "best disc" doubles; the second nine will be played as "worst disc" (as chosen by the other pair on the card).

Players will carry their scores into Sunday's 18 hole singles stroke play, setting up one player to be crowned the All-Star Weekend champion.

Men's All-Stars Doubles Pairings
#1 Paul McBeth and #8 James Conrad
#2 Calvin Heimburg and #7 Garrett Gurthie
#3 Ricky Wysocki and #6 Kevin Jones
#4 Eagle McMahon and #5 Chris Dickerson

Women's All-Stars Doubles Pairings
#1 Paige Pierce and #8 Heather Young
#2 Catrina Allen and #7 Kona Panis
#3 Sarah Hokom and #6 Jessica Weese
#4 Hailey King and #5 Missy Gannon

I am looking forward to this event. I'm thinking there won't be much separation in the scores for the Men's group heading into the singles on Sunday. The "worst disc" nine holes will be the most interesting part of the Saturday action for sure.

Both are defined in the rules. Worst shot requires two hole outs, tough shot requires one hole out.

Both are brutal formats for regular joes. Won't be nearly as bad for pros.

Looks to be a cool format. I wonder about how the scoring will work going from doubles to singles? Do you just add your singles score to your doubles scores? And what exactly is tough shot doubles? Worst shot or just a predetermined tough shot?

Just saw the answers to my questions above. Thought the announcement post was the only one.

Last edited:
The PDGA got it wrong based on traditional naming.

Wrong?

you-keep-using-that-word-meme.jpg

The only way "shot" is traditional is if you go all the way back to that other kind of golf.

The 1982 disc golf rule book had no mention of "shot" or "stroke". These terms crept in later (perhaps through sloppy rule-writing, or maybe an attempt to sound with-it, or possibly ball-and-stick envy?). Now those terms are gone because the more correct and precise term is "throw".

This was a correction to clean up the jargon by getting back to the original word. That's not wrong.

Paul and JC? . didn´t Paul say he would be playing with GG?

Cat and Kona, two players with putting as their week game.

Worst shot is a good way to make enemies, especially when money is om the line

The MPO and FPO filmed cards will start only 35minutes apart, will the MPO care really play 9 long holes in just 35min?

Nah. The reality is that Arizona is warm and sunny and not far from where the players need to be the following week. Second bit of reality is that people are desperate for content and will watch whether this is on lousy courses or not.

Pay per view disc golf? IMO, that's out of touch with reality.

Pay per view disc golf? IMO, that's out of touch with reality.

They had way more subscriptions than anticipated last year and those numbers are going to continue to rise this year. It is cheaper than Disney Plus if you are a PDGA member.

I used to think disc golf media was pretty much a misdirected waste of resources but I have come around. It drives a lot of growth and being able to charge a little something for it is indicative of that growth.

Nah. The reality is that Arizona is warm and sunny and not far from where the players need to be the following week. Second bit of reality is that people are desperate for content and will watch whether this is on lousy courses or not.

The 3rd bit of reality is that a bunch of us would watch if it were free, but won't pay to watch.

But hey, if DGN can get enough subscribers to make it worth their while, good for them.

Last edited: