• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc fishing

keltik1

* Ace Member *
howdy y'all and murry xmas,

got a question for y'all.....how would y'all recommend fishing discs out of a muddy stream?....i was thinking along the lines of a pair of duck waders and a rake....anyone else attempted this in december before?

much love,

kel

waders are the best way cuz you can actually get in there and poke around...otherwise, a golden retriever (dog or commercially available contraption) work well

i bought the device last year for 25 and it has paid for itself multiple times over in rescued discs...takes some practice to get good at it though

The guys who work our water hole here use full body suits and a rake. Sometimes the waders just arn't high enough. They also use a rake though.

Waders and a rake is the method of choice at our local Creekside course - one of the locals just pulled a major haul out yesterday, and is planning on heading back out today. (the creek has been high lately... and it owes me a Roc!!!)

Waders and an extendable fishing net.

Rakes are nice, but you don't always pick up the disc. Feel something with the net, you just scoop down and around and you've got it.

You can also build a homemade dredge on a rope. I saw Bob Graham at rock hill this year fishing discs out with a nice homemade rig. It was a giant dredge build with bike rims and attached to a rope.

Waders seem the best if you can/want to get in.

At some of the courses around here I've seen people with snorkels and body suits fishing for discs in the lake.

Waders work great up to their maximum depth. I use them and an old-person reacher. I just shuffle my feet when I'm walking and feel around. When I find one, flip it sideways between my feet and get it w/ the reacher. I modified / extended my reacher so I don't have to reach in when the water's cold.

pd

hey great idea with the old fart reacher doohickey my dad has one of those.....damn my dad is old......damn i'm old......

murry xmas

pointdisc said:
Waders work great up to their maximum depth. I use them and an old-person reacher. I just shuffle my feet when I'm walking and feel around. When I find one, flip it sideways between my feet and get it w/ the reacher. I modified / extended my reacher so I don't have to reach in when the water's cold.

pd

I have one of those reachers too, but its too slow. If I step on a disc I just stand it up and slide it up my left leg with my right foot and grab it. I just use waders. Occasionally I'll go in past the waders if the water is warm enough. Most of the ground I search is just mud bottomed. It's much harder to find and retrieve the discs when its rocky.

We rounded up a posse and raided the creek yesterday (it was 28 degrees out at the time). The current was strong and it the water was awfully cold. Here is a brave Crawdad in action:

IMG_3448.jpg

Jaysus said:
We rounded up a posse and raided the creek yesterday (it was 28 degrees out at the time). The current was strong and it the water was awfully cold. Here is a brave Crawdad in action:

what kinda haul did ya'll bring?

mikesolt said:
Jaysus said:

what kinda haul did ya'll bring?

we got 14!! One of which was mine from several weeks ago... when the creek was real high, and real fast. I had written that one off. It was nowhere near where it went in.

We got at least 4 that were thrown in during the round immediately prior to the creek walk. And we actually got one for some random guy, who just so happened to be walking his dog, and was able to identify an unmarked Valk that we were just about to pull out.

We even found a clear crystal buzz that the above picture creekwalker "donated" to the creek on it's virgin flight - he hadn't even written his name on it yet. He knew about where it was, but nobody could spot it from the bank... he just so happened to step on it. Good times - lol.

Here is another brave Crawdad in action:

IMG_3452.jpg

Not bad. My best one day total is 74, but I've gotten over 50 many times. The best times to do this are when the water is cold and the casual people won't go in. Summertime is actually the worst fishing time.