• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf as a Spectator Sport

Piqsid

How does disc golf work as a spectator sport?

I spent this past 4-day weekend at Cedar Lake, IN, which is half a mile from the Lemon Lake courses where the 2010 worlds will be held. I think it would be very interesting to watch pros navigate those courses. As a newbie, I think it would help my game to see repetitive throws by pros to give real life examples of what all these instructional YouTube videos are trying to give me.

But as I walked the courses this past weekend, there didn't seem to be much room for galleries and the like. And at most of the places I've played, there is barely enough parking for casual players, to say nothing of a fleet of pros and officials. Is disc golf considered to be a spectator sport? Do people go to watch?

Most of the spectators end up being friends, family, and players not in the final 9 so by the end of the tourney the crowd is pretty good.

You are always welcome to watch, just be quiet, still, and out of the way!

If you want to get close to the action find someone without a caddy and volunteer.

Or if you don't feel like walking with one card and prefer to stay put, you could volunteer as a spotter. Just bring a folding chair!

It's not much of a spectator sport. Few disc golfers, and virtually no non-disc-golfers, have shown much interest in watching....even at spectator-friendly courses.

The USDGC has probably done the best job of drawing an audience of non-participants. I've been in that gallery and it's pretty cool.

I'm a longtime, avid disc golfer, yet I've little desire to watch a tournament. I'd much rather be playing---in the tournament, or elsewhere.

Spent all of the last week at Am Worlds in Ohio, mostly as a caddy for my son, but when he wasn't playing we were either spectators or I was out taking photos to help make sure Disc Golfer mag had shots of all of the top finishers. Even at a huge event like that, you don't see that many people out watching who aren't in some way connected with the competitors. The Final 9 round at the OSU-Marion campus had a few, but not many. Perhaps in a larger city (Marion, OH, is only about 35,000 people) with a really strong disc golf scene you'd get a few more, but in my experience even an NT/A-Tier event like the Atlanta Open, in a major city with many of the top names (Climo, Feldberg, Jenkins, Doss, Phil Arthur, Cam Todd, etc.) participating, there were probably never more than 5 or 10 people watching lead group who weren't friends-and-relations.

And you're absolutely right about tight, technical courses posing special challenges for spectators. That's certainly true on many holes at East Roswell Park, one of the Atlanta Open courses, and there were definitely holes at some of the Am Worlds courses where there wasn't enough room for the players and caddies to stand or sit out of the way of the player throwing, much less spectators. There are also issues with the layout of some courses where the fairways have little or no separation, and where the basket areas are in close proximity to other holes, so even if you can keep the noise/movement of spectators in control for one group, once they start moving/talking as they're headed to the next hole, they may well be in the field of vision or be loud enough to be a problem for players on a nearby hole. It's definitely much more of an issue for disc golf than for ball golf, where there's typically much more separation between holes, at least on courses used for significant events.

And don't even start me on the problems of trying to shoot decent quality photographs of disc golf on wooded, technical courses -- getting close enough for a good shot, while being far enough away that the shutter clicks aren't a distraction, and still having a decent sight line with no branches, bushes, or people in the way is maddeningly difficult at times, to say nothing of the challenges posed by subjects that are continuously moving from strong bright sunlight to deep shadow and back. And just when you think you've managed to find a workable spot, you look behind you and realize that you're right in someone's putting line on another hole.

Or if you don't feel like walking with one card and prefer to stay put, you could volunteer as a spotter. Just bring a folding chair!

bullseye.

i've seen some of the best in the country just by volunteering to spot.

but on top of the chair, also bring a cooler! (and maybe a disc to sign if your favorite pro happens by and is last to shoot)

but on top of the chair, also bring a cooler! (and maybe a disc to sign if your favorite pro happens by and is last to shoot)

Probably not a good idea about the disc to sign.....not during a round or during warm-ups. Some might be OK with it at some events, but there is a lot of pressure on these guys/gals to perform (especially those who derive their income from it). I can't think of too many sports where any worker (or fan) can grab a competitor and get their attention. Why would it be different in DG?

That said, volunteering to help at events is a great thing to do and a lot of fun. I highly recommend it! Much better than spectating, IMO.

Probably not a good idea about the disc to sign.....not during a round or during warm-ups. Some might be OK with it at some events, but there is a lot of pressure on these guys/gals to perform (especially those who derive their income from it). I can't think of too many sports where any worker (or fan) can grab a competitor and get their attention. Why would it be different in DG?

That said, volunteering to help at events is a great thing to do and a lot of fun. I highly recommend it! Much better than spectating, IMO.

i agree, i wouldn't recommend it either, that's why i specified 'if he/she's last to shoot'.

perhaps i'm a bit over-confident as i got nikko and dave mac both to sign a putter of mine in the middle of a round at the st. louis open, but i did ask dave first what would be a good time to approach nikko.

he just seemed kinda indifferent to the whole process (plus he was blowing away the rest of the card by then).

It's not much of a spectator sport. Few disc golfers, and virtually no non-disc-golfers, have shown much interest in watching....even at spectator-friendly courses.

The USDGC has probably done the best job of drawing an audience of non-participants. I've been in that gallery and it's pretty cool.

I'm a longtime, avid disc golfer, yet I've little desire to watch a tournament. I'd much rather be playing---in the tournament, or elsewhere.

i share this same sentiment. although i dont mind caddying

Honestly, I'd probably rather watch paint dry than watch other people play disc golf.

there are many activities i enjoy doing but wouldnt ever want to spectate them

Not a great spectator sport. Either is fishing or bicycling. My other two hobbies. I love all three sports, but they don't mKe great TV or spectator sports. Enjoy it for what it is.

I went out in 2007 and 2008 to watch the Golden State Classic. It was great to just see the top guys throw but in addition I got to see them throw a course I'd thrown on many occasions so I got to compare what they did to how I played it. I got Kenny and Dave to sign a TFR Star TeeRex X from the 07 tournament. I didn't even know at the time that it was Kenny's 200th Career Win. Everyone there was quite cool.

I also don't mind watching footage online or on my tv. I currently own 10 DG DVDs and watch them all fairly regularly.