• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf "TERMS"...

D.W.G.

Par Member
I really don't pay any attention to terminology for the sports that I have played(Bowling, and now Disc golf)... There are many terms that I hear out on the course--that I have no idea of what they mean exactly... Can I get a little help???

And yes I could look them all up, but isn't that what a message board is for???

1)overstable

2)understable

3)upshot

4)flip shots

5)flex shots

6)turnover throw

7)pulling the disc

Thank you in advance
(IF THERE IS ANY HELP!!!) :p

Look them up. Its good to do you own research, and you'll learn a lot more reading from different sites and watching videos than from whatever we would type in a thread.

I know it's not in the list, but I still don't know what flashing means when it comes to discs....

I know it's not in the list, but I still don't know what flashing means when it comes to discs....

"Flashing" is the term of the leftover material on the edge of the disc from the molding.

In the past, Innova made limited CE plastics and there were a lot of flashing around the edge and needs to be hand-cut every time. Therefore, Innova stopped the production of CE plastics.

There are several discs from all companies out there that still have some flashing can be easily fixed by either shaving off the flashing or lightly sand it down to the rim or let it wear itself out over the time of uses.

Hope it helps. Sorry, I don't' have any picture of the disc with flashing edge to illustrate my point. Does anyone got a photo of it? :confused:

Don't want to be a jerk here... but you have 133 posts and don't know what these terms mean????
Something is wrong.
By the way... a "brooklyn" is a strike that hits the wrong side of the head pin (i.e left side for a right handed bowler). Hope that helps a little.
DSCJNKY

I really don't pay any attention to terminology for the sports that I have played(Bowling, and now Disc golf)... There are many terms that I hear out on the course--that I have no idea of what they mean exactly... Can I get a little help???

And yes I could look them all up, but isn't that what a message board is for???

1)overstable

2)understable

3)upshot

4)flip shots

5)flex shots

6)turnover throw

7)pulling the disc

Thank you in advance
(IF THERE IS ANY HELP!!!) :p

1) Overstable - the quick and simple definition is for a RHBH (right handed back handed) thrower, the disc will fade to the left at the end of the flight, but according to Dave Feldberg, an overstable disc just wants to crash to the ground as soon as possible.

2) Understable - almost the exact opposite of overstable, for a RHBH thrower, the disc has a tendency to turn to the right during the early part of the flight, and again according to Feldberg, an understable disc wants to avoid the ground for as long as possible.

3) Upshot - an upshot is generally an approach shot when you're intent is to put it in or around the putting circle (30 foot circle around the basket).

4) Flip shots - a flip shot example (but not the only example) is when you take a disc, throw it on a hyzer line, and because of the wear of the disc, the stability of it, or just the amount of power put into the throw, the disc during the early part of the flight (the turn) comes out of the hyzer line and straightens out.

5) Flex shots - a flex shot is also known as an s-curve or s-shot, where you generally take an overstable disc, throw it with an anhyzer line, and when the disc starts to slow down, because of the overstability of the disc, the disc starts to fade back to the left, causing it to have an 's' shaped route.

6) Turnover throw - when you throw a disc that is generally understable, and throughout most of the flight, the disc turns to the right for a RHBH thrower, without a harsh fade to the left at the end of the flight. Generally a shot used when a RHBH is throwing on a dogleg right hole.

7) Pulling the disc - this is when a RHBH thrower accidentally holds onto the disc too long, puts too much into the the throw, or applies to much OAT (off-axis-torque) and causes the disc to shank off to the right or turns over to the right when not intended.

This are my understandings of the definitions, but I'm sure there might be a disagreement or two, but for the most part, I think this will give you a good idea. Hope this helps!

Don't want to be a jerk here... but you have 133 posts and don't know what these terms mean????
Something is wrong.
By the way... a "brooklyn" is a strike that hits the wrong side of the head pin (i.e left side for a right handed bowler). Hope that helps a little.
DSCJNKY
sleep.gif
sleep.gif

Yeah I know what a Brooklyn strike is(NEVER THREW ANY) but I know what it is... I was talking more on the line of technical terms in bowling(axis weight--c.g.--differential--flare) stuff like that... I bowled for 30 years, racked up a few 300 games, but all I did was threw the ball... My equipment when I hung it up was 6-10 years old(most competitive bowlers get new stuff each year)... I just liked to bowl, and did it well---I just like to throw disc(NOT SO WELL)...

Like I said... I didn't want to be a jerk. I was just messing around. Congrats on the 300 games... those are worth more than any hole-in-one.
It just seemed like the term "brooklyn" was analagous to "upshot"... Anyone who has played the game long enough knows what they are because they have heard the term more than once.
Anyway, sorry for the sarcasm. And, I hope you keep chuckin plastic, whether it be bowling ball plastic or innova plastic.
DSCJNKY

My favorite thing I have ever read!

"Wus – A weak putt that has no chance to go in the basket, not to be confused with a lay up."

I don't know about you but I "lay up" alot. Never wus it.:D

There is a big difference between laying up and being a wus. When you lay up you are happy when you are in the 30' circle, when you are a wus, you kick yourself in the pants or use some choice words for only being in the 30' circle. I had too many wus shots today.

Latest posts