• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] disc weights

Peter S

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have noticed almost every disc I buy is over in weight to what is listed, written, stickered. I scale weigh my discs and they always seem to be over. I use mostly Innova & Discraft however, find other brands I come across weigh over as well. Any reason for this?
I see Discraft and some others give you a weight range. My recent 170-172 Avenger SS scale weight 174.4.
I bought an old crystal Avenger SS on ebay that was marked 170-174, scale weight 176. They had a 4 gram margin or error & was still heavy.
Last Innova teebird, marked 169. scale weight 172.
I buy all discs 1-3 under depending on color's available, etc. I bring my scale to retail stores these days.

I do not blame my scale as the other thing I weigh that is sold in grams always seems to be spot on;)

Discs absorb moisture after the molding process. Moisture adds weight

Discs absorb moisture after the molding process. Moisture adds weight

So it sounds like the discs gain weight sometime after they are marked by manufacturer. Also some stores weigh discs & they are still over. Sounds like stores get them from the manufacturer, weigh them & they gain weight along the way to the consumer:wall:

Just curious - but if ALL discs (innova & discraft factory marks AND store weights) are showing as overweight on your scale - have you calibrated your scale recently?

Not to say that all factory marks are on - but if they are always high across 3+ sources - I'd check the scale. Out of curiosity I threw a few of my discs on my scale (to be fair - not calibrated) and they are all pretty close (+/- 2g from innova factory marks).

Discs don't aBsorb H2O in their liquid form they aDsorb it in gaseous form. It can take considerable time for a disc to dry out or saturate a small amount.

Discs don't aBsorb H2O in their liquid form they aDsorb it in gaseous form. It can take considerable time for a disc to dry out or saturate a small amount.

Seems to me that a disc molded and weighed in dry southern california that then sits in humid florida for a while could easily absorb enough moisture to show up as a difference on a scale.

Just curious - but if ALL discs (innova & discraft factory marks AND store weights) are showing as overweight on your scale - have you calibrated your scale recently?

Not to say that all factory marks are on - but if they are always high across 3+ sources - I'd check the scale. Out of curiosity I threw a few of my discs on my scale (to be fair - not calibrated) and they are all pretty close (+/- 2g from innova factory marks).

Exactly what I was thinking :hfive:

Tell me about h2o in a gaseous form that isn't called steam. Is it because of the pressure from the molds that it isn't steam?

How about the water vapor that makes up 1-4% of the near surface atmosphere?

crazy how they can measure humidity eh? Who woulda thunk it there is water in da AIR?!

im drowning. and my discs on the shelf are getting heavier (now that its spring)

Water vapor is not gas.

Do you live on earth?!

Water vapor or water vapour or aqueous vapor is the gas phase of water. It is one state of water within the hydrosphere. Water vapor can be produced from the evaporation or boiling of liquid water or from the sublimation of ice. Unlike other forms of water, water vapor is invisible

Ted already explained why your experiment was flawed.

Ted did no such thing,he threw out the term adsorb. My understanding of that term is that it occurs only on the surface of the material acting as the adsorbant. Seems as though that would hardly be enough water molecules to change the weight of a disc by even a fraction of a gram. What's your understanding of the term "adsorbtion"? I'm always eager to learn from anyone who knows more than I do. At what point after the molding process do discs absorb weight? How do they do that? Ted says adsorb, you say absorb. Are you both correct?