• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DIY CTP Markers

esdubya

Double Eagle Member
Made these for a recent tournament I ran, with really the intention of using for league play. I wanted a durable and easy to use way of marking CTPs, week after week. Never been a big fan of the landscaping-flag&sandwich-bag&3x5-card solution.

What I did is start with a standard mini clipboard, easily found on amazon. Then used a few small wood screws to attach small wood block to back of clipboard with 4" galvanized nail through the block as well. Have to do the nail part first by pre-drilling hole and pounding it in with the help of a vice.

Thoughts?

What does your league do for CTPs?

cab36eebb244.jpg

03d07b0ed627.jpg

4d2b6d3023b8.jpg

bdb89313e999.jpg

What will you do for rainy rounds?

I am part of the group that uses sandwich bags, so I'm no better than the rest of yinz.

I do like this idea, solid job!

The problem is something like this is more likely to interfere with the flight of a disc than a simple landscape flag.

The problem is something like this is more likely to interfere with the flight of a disc than a simple landscape flag.

My home course is a par3 ball golf course so we have these nice metal CTP markers (kinda of like the ones pictured here, but with a clipboard clip). Wouldn't use these in a sanctioned tournament, but I've seen it done. (the Nantucket Open had these...)

741b7036-50f6-4a91-8fa8-40fe3ec6b3e3_1.5881696cc445c8dd37b0810ea9124eb8.jpeg

If I had to make some from scratch, I'd buy a bag of alligator clips, and some metal lawn stakes. No need for the board. Just clip on some water/tear resistant cardstock and have the stake going through the loop of one of those mini sharpies that have a key ring on the cap.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 25

That was my first thought as well. Those are pretty solid and unyielding. I can see a disc hitting it and stopping dead, preventing it from beating the previous CTP, whereas it might get slowed down, but it very likely would probably push through/past a landscape flag. For that reason, I wouldn't want to use the clipboards. That they aren't water proof is a negative as well.

What I do is tape sandwich bags to a landscape flag wire in place of the flag itself. I've got 20-25 pre-made in my TD kit...more than I should ever need but it's good to have back-ups. I feel like the all-in-one set-up is easier to deal with than the landscape flag punched through a sandwich bag.

I attached a photo. The only thing missing is the piece of card stock for writing names.

Attachments

• IMG_20171016_131027883.jpg
    IMG_20171016_131027883.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 44
The question of more interest given that we are heading towards the winter monts, is what do you use for CTPs for Ice Bowls when the ground is frozen?

The question of more interest given that we are heading towards the winter monts, is what do you use for CTPs for Ice Bowls when the ground is frozen?

I don't change my MO, mainly because landscape flags insert into snow very easily. No real concern about frozen ground. :D

We have had many ice bowls where might only be an inch or two of snow (not enough to hold the landscape flag), but the ground is frozen solid.

How about this (for winter CTPs). Tie a long string to the base of the basket pole. Have something you can move up and down on the string. When there is a good throw, use the string to measure how far away you are. If you beat the previous best, mark you name on the provided card that is also attached to the string.

Now someone engineer that please! :D

How about this (for winter CTPs). Tie a long string to the base of the basket pole. Have something you can move up and down on the string. When there is a good throw, use the string to measure how far away you are. If you beat the previous best, mark you name on the provided card that is also attached to the string.

I kind of like that. Players could just sharpie the string to mark the distance. Need to use a string that doesn't stretch very much.

A large, flat washer on the string coupled with some form of hi viz marking would be my choice. I like to see what I need to beat from the tee, if possible.

Latest posts