• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Don't call it a Reachback...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and found this paragraph in one of your articles HUB:

"Next, I'm done calling it a reach-back. It's now a back-swing. Reaching back, bending at the waist and getting my weight too far over my back foot took some serious work to undo. So it's a back-swing and there's no REACHING."

I live in the Phoenix, AZ area where a 400 foot drive not uncommon at all and is almost mandatory to score well (ask Hammer for proof) and I really need to figure out how to hit it consistently. I appreciate all the articles in this forum and have reinforced a few key ideas recently such as the simple advice of "slow down" and "stay loose". Seems simple but so counter intuitive I have to remind myself constantly. I'm getting close to my goal of a consistent 400 golf shot but all too often it is 350 one day and 425 the next and I can't quite figure out what the difference is but my guess is the back swing is the biggest issue killing my timing.

I'm sure it has been discussed before in here but I couldn't find a good thread on it. Seems like a hugely important concept that is very misunderstood.

The best way I can explain my thoughts on it is that when I'm throwing well (400+ with decent accuracy), I'm not reaching back behind my left shoulder (RHBH). My arm is really at more of a 45 degree angle and the other 45 degrees to get me to the full 180 from my target comes from the shoulder and hip turn.

When my form gets sloppy, I reach back closer to 90 degrees and don't get the full shoulder and hip turn. My arm feels like it is wrapped tight to my body and often I have actually hit the back of my left shoulder while pulling the disc forward which not only hurts but causes a god awful throw.

I think this is what you call "rounding" but I may be confused on the subject which is why I'm asking for some clarification.

I don't have a video and I'm not looking for feedback on me specifically but more looking for a general discussion on the topic.

thanks

Rounding - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GaDG7aX5A8 (i've forgotten how to embed again...)

If I'm throwing poorly it is often because of exactly what you describe and to reset I will just concentrate on my arm being further out from the body (Barry Schultz was my original point of reference)

Sidewinders door frame drills are good for ridding the reachback element - instead of reaching back you are working around the disc. (the disc stays pretty stationary as your body folds and unfolds around it.

Quick picture to emphasise this part (Feldberg and McBeth both do a little forward pump before they fold around it so there is a bit of a backwards movement of the disc with them) -
DwqCrVd.jpg

Yes. When I was first starting a full reachback/backswing, it took me a while to realize that I wasn't supposed to be going directly along the plane of my chest. It's all about keeping that direct pull line for me...and that's the hardest thing for me, consistency-wise.

Don't call it a Reachback...
I've been thinking about this a lot lately and found this paragraph in one of your articles HUB:

"Next, I'm done calling it a reach-back. It's now a back-swing. Reaching back, bending at the waist and getting my weight too far over my back foot took some serious work to undo. So it's a back-swing and there's no REACHING."

....When my form gets sloppy, I reach back closer to 90 degrees and don't get the full shoulder and hip turn.......

And yet....there it is. :\:doh:

So if you add "around" to it instead...."aroundbacking". :sick: :gross:

Last edited:
Are you suggesting it be called a reach around? :gross::p:gross:

:gross:

That image broke all the tables in my house, but thank you for the lil epiphany.

I just wanna go to a field and pretend the disc is an immovable object while I "backswing" and x-step around it.

Watch schusterick in his slo mo videos from the side view. He doesn't reach back...he actually just leaves the disc as his body moves forward. Sorry don't have time to post the video I'm talking about though

You still end up in a reach back position, even if you are moving around the disc because your arm will extend. So perhaps not "reach back" but "arm extension". And I would also guess "wide rail arm extension" might be the best way to verbally describe it properly. ? ? ?

You still end up in a reach back position, even if you are moving around the disc because your arm will extend. So perhaps not "reach back" but "arm extension". And I would also guess "wide rail arm extension" might be the best way to verbally describe it properly. ? ? ?
It depends on if you are in a standstill or x-step whether or not you actually reachback or swing back.

-aye. Ive been throwing mostly standstills this winter and the throwing around the disc helps alot when I add footwork. fwiw I start my drive w rt arm extended on target and the timing works out with a short 3(X) step