• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

drives: missing to the right

tumpsi

Double Eagle Member
Last time I was playing, I noticed this. Every time I missed a drive, I missed it to the right. I couldn't fix it with numerous trial & errors. I've been struggling with this my whole DG life, but I have always found a way to fix it (turning my back a bit more to the target on run up), but yesterday this did nothing.

Haven't got too much disc time lately, so it could be just lack of touch.

Any ideas?

Does the disc miss to the right, and turn to the right, or is the disc holding the line you want, just released to the right?

If it's the latter, then I'd say your hitting it better to the right. Realize this is how you want to throw, and start working with this mechanic.

Furthur said:
Does the disc miss to the right, and turn to the right, or is the disc holding the line you want, just released to the right?

If it's the latter, then I'd say your hitting it better to the right. Realize this is how you want to throw, and start working with this mechanic.
I missed my line / released it to the right. Flight was just the way I threw it.

The later you can release the disc, the more potential power it has. So try changing your body alignment so your lined up more to the left before you open up. Do you feel like you're hitting it any harder?

Weight not forward enough? If I miss to the right that is usually the reason for me or at least that is what I think it is.

#1 thing that comes to mind is that you probably arent following through towards your target.
Also, I recently tried Blakes advice of pressing my face down the line I am trying to hit with a lot of success. Hope those help.

Any ideas?

3 top reasons to miss to the right.
1. starting your pull too early (well before your pivot foot hits the ground)
2. disc is too far away from your body as you enter the power zone.
3. weight back.

It could be:

1. Wrist roll- The top your wrist is rolling over to the right giving it more of an anhyzer release.

2. Breaking the shoulder plane creating OAT

3. Not stopping/chopping your elbow in the correct place. Instead of out in front like Beato's Drill, you are coming around and chopping your elbow right of your shoulder.

Are you grip locking? How about reaching farther away from the body in the reach back then pulling in close to the right pec then continuing right from there. With possibly faster than usual hip twist or leg pivot with the arm not keeping up. I had that once yesterday from a faster than normal hip twist. Try pivoting on mud and the legs can turn you excessively fast too. I really love the natural tees after rain storms. Not.

Furthur said:
The later you can release the disc, the more potential power it has. So try changing your body alignment so your lined up more to the left before you open up. Do you feel like you're hitting it any harder?
This is how I've fixed this in the past, but at least last time I was playing, I couldn't get it right.

bcsst26 said:
Weight not forward enough? If I miss to the right that is usually the reason for me or at least that is what I think it is.
Nope.

Aaron_D said:
#1 thing that comes to mind is that you probably arent following through towards your target.
Also, I recently tried Blakes advice of pressing my face down the line I am trying to hit with a lot of success. Hope those help.
I'll try this. Could you explain this face-down-the-line-thingie a little more?
Blake_T said:
Any ideas?

3 top reasons to miss to the right.
1. starting your pull too early (well before your pivot foot hits the ground)
2. disc is too far away from your body as you enter the power zone.
3. weight back.
1. nope
2. might be, but I'm a bit suspicious
3. nope

sunspot said:
It could be:

1. Wrist roll- The top your wrist is rolling over to the right giving it more of an anhyzer release.

2. Breaking the shoulder plane creating OAT

3. Not stopping/chopping your elbow in the correct place. Instead of out in front like Beato's Drill, you are coming around and chopping your elbow right of your shoulder.
The problem isn't the disc angle, but the line. I miss the line I'm trying to hit.

JR said:
Are you grip locking?
Nope.

I guess this is my point. If you're hitting it just as hard or even harder with the correct shape on your line, but you're just missing to the right, then your body has to be out of position. What Aaron mentioned about keeping the head down the line would correct this (I assume).

nothaz said:
JR said:
I really love the natural tees after rain storms. Not.

Those tees are the best!

With 2" of sinking into mud on uneven ground with rocks around and a busted ankle no way!

Tumpsi do you pull from away from body at the reach back to close to pec to right of the line the chest is at when it's facing 90 derees left of the target? Viewing from behind the tee toward the target. If so that's the culprit. Cure for that is to change the direction of the elbow punch from left to right to back to front in other words pulling the disc straight ahead after the disc is by the right pec. Again viewing from behind the tee toward the target.

JR said:
nothaz said:
JR said:
I really love the natural tees after rain storms. Not.

Those tees are the best!

With 2" of sinking into mud on uneven ground with rocks around and a busted ankle no way!

No your right, only fun with a *broken* ankle!

Tumpsi, maybe upload a video on youtube and post a link?

I've had the same issue for about 2 months. Not all throws, flies same path just starting too right, goes at least as far/plenty of finish snap, shows up less on long putts than drives.

Current guess is that I need to finish with weight fwd more consistently (more on pivot toe than semi flat foot, and that stare down the target thing).

I never had this until I found more late finish snap in early summer, great for my overall game, just uncovering a form error that did not have the multiplier before.

I had this problem for a little while and found out that in my run-up I was lined up to the right a little. After fixing this I realized that it had nothing to do with my arm/upper body. It was just a matter of footwork. :eek:

Most any line of flight problems are solved with fixing your footwork.

It is actually quite underrated, how much your footwork goes into making a good shot.

victorb said:

It is actually quite underrated, how much your footwork goes into making a good shot.
I get annoyed when I'm playing poorly and missing my lines in the woods...Once I get visibly frustrated one of the local pros says..."the disc is going where your run up is going" and just like that I remember footwork matters for a few weeks...until it happens again.

My biggest problem is missing left when I start from the back right of the teepad (RHBH) and finish at the front left instead of using a straight run up.

victorb said:

Most video critiques I've done include standard section about footwork. It's so common that I should write a standard piece and just paste that. It would've saved a LOT of my time.

victorb said:

Through what I have learned I have taught my friend a bit and just the footwork gave him more consistency and power. It really goes a long way, correcting your footwork.