• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DX Thunderbird equivalent

Killian

Hello,

I have a 175 DX Thunderbird that I really wasn't crazy about until I actually started throwing it in a round this past Sunday. Holy cow, this thing is awesome.

I'm pretty worried that after a few more rounds I'm going start seeing it turn over due to the DX plastic, so I'm wondering what a good alternative plastic would be for some durability.

I like my champion discs but I'm worried that champ might be a bit TOO stable unless I maybe drop down to a high 160's weight. I've been thinking maybe star or pro?

Or do I get a few DX versions and just swap them when they start turning? I know that my DX beast didn't last long which is what scares me the most.

Thanks for any help! I'm a relatively new player so I'm not very experienced with the different plastics.

Pro Thundies are a great option for you, Star Thundies are a little bit beefier but will work into that sweet spot and stay there for awhile. Thundies are a staple in my bag and I could replace my fairways with various levels of Thundies.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pro Thundies are a great option for you, Star Thundies are a little bit beefier but will work into that sweet spot and stay there for awhile. Thundies are a staple in my bag and I could replace my fairways with various levels of Thundies.

agreed

grab a star for workhorse driver

champ if wanted a beefy thundy

dx/pro for flippy

Watch out for that beefier run of Star Thunderbirds.

I prefer Champ Thunderbirds; once you season them a bit they stay sweet for years. I have a couple 5-year old ones that are my go-to drivers.

They are great in all plastics though.

Pro Thunderbirds are my favorite disc - they are just laser beams FH and BH. I was afraid of their longevity, so I've now bought five of them and rotate between them every round. Also makes for great field practice :)

Star Thunderbird is very overstable, it flies very close to my Firebird. I imagine it will age nicely, but it doesn't get thrown too often as I like my Firebirds too much. Now that I think of it, I might take the Firebirds out of my bag for a bit so this will see some action.

I just got a Champ Thunderbird but have only thrown it a couple times, and it is firmly in the middle. Not as straight or as long as the Pros, but not nearly as beefy as the Star.

tl;dr buy some pro thunderbirds

Star Thunderbird is very overstable, it flies very close to my Firebird. I imagine it will age nicely, but it doesn't get thrown too often as I like my Firebirds too much. Now that I think of it, I might take the Firebirds out of my bag for a bit so this will see some action.

Huh, good ole innova's legendary consistency. The three Star Thunderbirds I've gotten have been pretty spot on to flight numbers, but the two champs I have are Firebird beefy.

I also found the two Gstar Thunderbirds I've had, to be close in stability to a pro (not quite there but really close) and seem to hold up longer than the pros. But again, that could just be the variation of good ole Innova.

I have a small stack of the first DX Thunderbirds released if you're interested. Not expecting much more for them than retail plus shipping.

The last champ thundy I had (from a Sexton shootout early last year) was VERY os. I agree with other that a pro is a good option.

DX Thundie is one of the best baseline drivers out there. Holds stability longer than a DX Firebird.

Jay Dub, I really appreciate the offer. I'm going to hold off on another DX for now. (I do know that the first DX run was supposed to be awesome).

For now, I've ordered a couple of Star's and a couple of Pro's. Luckily, discs are pretty inexpensive with X-out options. I'm hoping between those two plastics something will feel good. If they don't feel right I'll look into DX.

Thanks all for the info. Looking forward to getting some more Thundies in my bag.

Jay Dub, I really appreciate the offer. I'm going to hold off on another DX for now. (I do know that the first DX run was supposed to be awesome).

For now, I've ordered a couple of Star's and a couple of Pro's. Luckily, discs are pretty inexpensive with X-out options. I'm hoping between those two plastics something will feel good. If they don't feel right I'll look into DX.

Thanks all for the info. Looking forward to getting some more Thundies in my bag.

if youre all in on the thundies and have the disposable income to do so i would just order like 3 of each plastic to get that free shipping and % off if youre hitting up the innova pro shop online

then you can just figure out what flies like what off the shelf and cycle them in as needed

Another question: I see a lot of talk in older threads about Star Thunderbirds being more overstable than Champ. Is this based on that first Star run?

Another question: I see a lot of talk in older threads about Star Thunderbirds being more overstable than Champ. Is this based on that first Star run?

Yes. I'm not sure how many of the subsequent Star runs are less overstable, but it is my understanding that the current ones are not as overstable as the first run.

Got my Star molds today and went out and threw one. Flight is definitely not too overstable and I think they'll work in very nicely. Most noticeable difference I see between my DX is not quite as much glide and the new plastic feels slick with the snow that I'm currently throwing in. Stability seems to be fairly similar but it's hard to gauge with a few throws in a snowy field. I'm going to try and get out somewhere with some concrete for run ups this weekend.

I'm excited to try the Pros.

Yes, please let us know how the Pros fly for you. I have a Champion Thunder that I use basically as a firebird because it is so over stable...

The Vulture may be a good alternative if you ever decide to move away from the Thunderbird.