• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dyeing clear disc?

drevim

Bogey Member
Tried the saran wrap method on a clear champ roadrunner last night. Let it soak for about 9 hours, with hopes of a semi tiedyed looking disc. After the nine hours, I pulled it out of the dye to find, unless held to the light, it appears to be a dirty clear disc.

Question: I used orange, do I need a more concentrated mix? I used the dye at about 3 times the concentration of suggested mix (1 pack to 1 gallon). With a clear disc, do you need to use a darker color? Or did I just F-up somewhere along the way? I'd post a pic, but you literally have to squint in person, don't think it would translate in photos.

damn a whole gallon? lol I put the rit powder into the bottom of a pot and maybe an inch to 2 inches worth of water so that the disc can float in it and thats all

Make sure that the water is HOT as well. You don't want it to be boiling as it may warp your plastic, but heat is the major ingredient to get the dye to set.

Agreed -- too much dye. The directions on the box are for fabric, not for plastic.

I use about 50/50 mix of the liquid, and with the powder use maybe a cup or so of water for half a pack of dye. Don't need much for the saran wrap method.

If you mix it right, 8 hours should be plenty of time for the dye to set even if the liquid is room temp to start.

Agreed -- too much dye. The directions on the box are for fabric, not for plastic.

I use about 50/50 mix of the liquid, and with the powder use maybe a cup or so of water for half a pack of dye. Don't need much for the saran wrap method.

If you mix it right, 8 hours should be plenty of time for the dye to set even if the liquid is room temp to start.

Yeah didn't need to float it, since I was just trying the saran wrap. I will try another half pack with a cup of water and redye the same disc. It may give some cool shadowing effect. This was my first attempt at dyeing, so with no expectations, I guess I can't be dissappointed. I tried to find a basic guide to dyeing, is there something here I overlooked?

Thanks

Yeah didn't need to float it, since I was just trying the saran wrap. I will try another half pack with a cup of water and redye the same disc. It may give some cool shadowing effect. This was my first attempt at dyeing, so with no expectations, I guess I can't be dissappointed. I tried to find a basic guide to dyeing, is there something here I overlooked?

Thanks

Seems like you've got everything right except the dye mix. Again, once you put the disc in the saran wrap/dye, just let it sit for 8 hours or so, without touching it/ moving it/ looking at it. If the dye mix is strong enough and you don't put too much dye so that the disc is SOAKED, you'll be satisfied with the results. POST EM!

yah lets see!

Wish it was worth the posting. Went back and did a 1 cup to full pack of the orange dye. Roughed up the saran wrap, and put the dye in, weighted the disc so the contact was good. 8 hours later, and little more color stuck than the first time. I'm going to try a darker color and a flatter pan (not sure the disc was down in the dye enough). Will update with hopefully better results on Monday (fingures crossed)

Latest posts