• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Easiest distance?

TKWolverine

Birdie Member
I'm a 63-year-old disc golfer coming to terms with the fact that age and nagging shoulder problems are beginning to drastically change my game. On a good day, I max out at about 325-330. I am starting to seek out lighter and less stable drivers to try to cheat Father Time a little.

Any suggestions re. which discs give the easiest distance off the tee?

I'm a 63-year-old disc golfer coming to terms with the fact that age and nagging shoulder problems are beginning to drastically change my game. On a good day, I max out at about 325-330. I am starting to seek out lighter and less stable drivers to try to cheat Father Time a little.

I think a light valkyrie in champ would be a great place to start.

I'm not as old as you, but I don't got a big arm, I typically max out at your distance. My longest disc is probably my Roadrunner. I got an old super stiff 165 Star RR that goes super far. Insane glide, I'd rate the glide 6. It just flies for days

Maybe a Sidewinder in something sub-170. Both the Valk and the Roadrunner are good suggestions, and the Sidewinder sits between the two in terms of under-stability.

My friend's older uncle with a lot of old injuries has been able to throw a 165 star roadrunner pretty well. He also enjoys DX valks and DX teebirds, especially as they wear. He can throw the roadrunner about 350 with ease as long as the wind isn't bad.

I like my Starlite terns at about 140 g or so. I'm throwing about the same distance and just turned 60 back in December.

I cringe at the words "easy distance" or "easiest distance", but I understand what you're asking. My suggestions are:

S-Line TD.
Star Roadrunner or Star Sidewinder.
Champion Krait (mine is 160g and awesome for me)
Star and/or Champion Tern (around 160g, give or take a few)
Gold Line Fury -or- Opto Fury if GL beats in too fast for you.

The above work well for me and my noodle arm, and IMHO will work well for you also.

Came to post this. Mold and weight that is your max d driver now? Can you throw hyzer flips well?

I'm throwing mainly fairway drivers from the tee right now and my most effective driver right now is a 167g TP Hatchet.

Hyzer flips are my preferred way to throw.

Keeping with the speed 9, understable theme - I've started hyzer flipping a Heat for distance, found it works a bit better than a Sidewinder. Nevertheless, I get about the same distance as you are currently.

I love a Jade for easy distance. I have an Opto and a GL in 157gm. For a light disc, it handles the wind really well. It will almost always have some fade at the end. Try one!

Blizzard, air, call it what you want type plastic is the ticket! I have found innova blizzard plastic the most consistent. But I would think an air nuke would be amazing for you..

diamond, trust me

it's not just effortless, it's a beautiful, useful flight.

i took it out of my bag, but it's going back in for sure.

I'd maybe go with a Z lite driver, I gave the Avenger SS a throw in the high 150's, throw it clean and it will go for days.

Latitude 64 Fury, or possibly even the Saint (not the Saint Pro, stay away from that).

Get one between 164-168, and put out some pretty easy distance.

I am 66 and have had rotator cuff problems and I use the blizzard destroyer (145) and Diamond opto air in the same weight.......good discs with easy distance.