• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ends and Means

treehugger87

*I posted this in the "Simple Keys" thread origianlly, but I took the advice of iacas and posted it as a thread of its own*

I was thinking about a similar set of keys to the game but in a simpler way. At this point I'm just starting to understand and impliment the more specific, technical parts of form. I do realize that the nuances, technical aspects and physics of form are what ultimately let you attain the goals of driving 450'+ and being a consistent putter within so many feet of the basket and being accurate consistently. At the same time I'm wondering what the ends are that these means are trying to achieve, such as what is the workable distance of a successful, well-rounded disc golfer (all around, not just tournament play or casual rounds). I'm not necessarily talking about the extremes either. We all know about the freaks of the disc golf world who can hit ridiculous distances consistently and who never miss a putt, but what are the "simple keys" for a player that is consistently doing well? I'm getting at something like this:

-Consistent putter within __'
-Has a workable golf distance of ___'-___'
-Etc.

I know I'm leaving a lot out, but what should be added to this list of "simple keys" for a well-rounded, successful disc golfer?

treehugger87 said:
I know I'm leaving a lot out, but what should be added to this list of "simple keys" for a well-rounded, successful disc golfer?
For the sake of clarity I won't be calling them "keys" or anything like that. I don't know what I'll call them... just not that. :)

I think you have to define "consistent". You could be consistent in that you miss everything from outside 10' and that wouldn't make you very competent. :D So I'd say something like "80% of 20 footers or better for putting.

I don't have a lot of time to think right now but I'd add "variety of shots" to the list. To be "good" modern disc golf seems to favor players who can throw a forehand on occasion, and a thumber or tomahawk, etc. They don't have to be great at them, but basic proficiency is expected, I believe.

treehugger87 said:
*I posted this in the "Simple Keys" thread origianlly, but I took the advice of iacas and posted it as a thread of its own*

I was thinking about a similar set of keys to the game but in a simpler way. At this point I'm just starting to understand and impliment the more specific, technical parts of form. I do realize that the nuances, technical aspects and physics of form are what ultimately let you attain the goals of driving 450'+ and being a consistent putter within so many feet of the basket and being accurate consistently. At the same time I'm wondering what the ends are that these means are trying to achieve, such as what is the workable distance of a successful, well-rounded disc golfer (all around, not just tournament play or casual rounds). I'm not necessarily talking about the extremes either. We all know about the freaks of the disc golf world who can hit ridiculous distances consistently and who never miss a putt, but what are the "simple keys" for a player that is consistently doing well? I'm getting at something like this:

-Consistent putter within __'
-Has a workable golf distance of ___'-___'
-Etc.

Treehugger, I think your list to be is "The ends" and Iacas list is "The means".
-Timo

The PDGA division choosing guide lists rough performance level recommended for picking a division to play in. Naturally to get to the kind of performance needed to pull off such results for putting make rate from distance X etc. is a multiple answer question.

At the advanced level in my area I would say:

-Consistent (80%) putter within 30'
-Has a workable golf distance of 320'-350'
-Has control over a wide variety of shots
-Approaches well

The 4th one is I think the biggest key for those of us in AM. Generally you aren't driving long enough or accurately enough to have a huge amount of putts from the green...so you end up throwing a lot of 50'-150' shots. Make a few and park the rest for a drop in and you will find yourself winning AM stuff. The pro's just seem to be even better at everything, they make a few 50' every round, they throw a bit farther, hit gaps a bit better, and biggest of all, they get out of trouble extremely well.

Distance for show, consistency for dough.

For starters, learn to throw the shots well enough to earn the Eagle patch in the EDGE program. It seems like those who can do it either have or can reach an Intermediate level PDGA rating over 900: http://edgediscgolf.org/download/SkillShot.pdf

Cube has the right idea. I'm the type of person who needs something to aim for, numbers to look at, and statistical comparisons. Mostly though it helps me see where the fundamentals I'm working on should take me. It helps me see where I am in relation to where I want to be and for me that means a lot as I keep progressing.

Latest posts