• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fat Old Newbie’s Disc Golf Journal

MarkTew

WEEK 4

Saturday
Took some video and geeeeez.... I'm so fat, and slow on the turn! Where did the athlete go!

Anyway, added another 16 feet to my furthest throw, 230ft with a lightweight Valkyrie. The Beast and the Valkyrie were consistently the furthest all day. My Leopard is still one of my longest consistent throws too.
Also worked on getting close to the basket from 100 feet. Had a problem with early release with certain discs, especially my ESP Buzzz, which was nearly every time.

Eventually was getting 6-7 / 10 inside 15 feet by the end.

Still had an issue with nose up with a few throws!

Loving the challenge!

Session 13

Managed to get my first disc over 250ft today. Not the conventional way, but a backhand roller with a Beast at 254ft. Archangel was 2 ft behind.

Best with a normal backhand is 243ft with a light Teebird.

Slow but steady progress. Had about 13 sessions throwing now. Still not ready for the course yet, but it's coming!

agreed, get out to the course! Of course you can learn new skills faster in a field, but it's fun to actually play a round as well.

One of my favorite hobbies this fall has been re-visiting courses that I haven't been too since last fall when I first started. It's fun to see how much different the holes look after a year of practice. what used to be "tight tunnels" are now 50' wide fairways. "long holes" that I played for bogey now have easy par looks or even an occasional birdie.

Which then motivates me to get back in the field and practice even more.

Yeah. Get on course. Ideally, you can find something that is has a bunch of relatively open 200-300 foot holes, so you can work on playing golf while you are working out your drives.

263ft backhand roller with a lightweight Leopard!

First trip to a course coming next Wednesday!!

Go have fun. Anyone who can throw 250' (or even 200') in the general direction of aim, and can make some putts, will shoot nice scores. My first time out with zero technique, I shot +18. For a couple months it was +15 range, then I couldn't wait to be under +10. Now, a couple of months later, I'm +3~5 range and can't wait to shoot par. I've had two +1 rounds, so it's coming. My problem now is making ANY putt outside the circle. It's like there is a brick wall at 25'. I can make 80% putts at 25' and 10% putts at 26'. If my drive isn't inside the circle, I'm guaranteed par unless it rolls away.

263ft backhand roller with a lightweight Leopard!

First trip to a course coming next Wednesday!!

Smart, smart, smart move learning BH rollers early on. The more options you are fully confident in, the better you will score.

First round

Took my first steps onto a disc golf course after throwing in a field for a couple of months.

It was frustrating, mystifying and a lot of fun. I started off nose up with everything and struggling to deal with the wind. Missed a bunch of puts I should have gotten close to. High baskets are a beeeeyatch!!!

Struggled to get any distance and on the front 9 I just kept getting into trouble everywhere. On the back 9 things started to calm down. My up shots were much much better and found my way around the course with smarter shots.

Ended up 21+, 15 of which were on the front side.

Can't wait for next time!

Everything you've written so far has hit home.
I'm right with you, just 2 months back.

What angle did you record yourself at? I want to record myself the next time I'm out, but not sure which angle would let me get the most info.

Been a while....

Since I posted but I've been out doing field work about 3-4 times a week. I played the local course for the first time and it killed me. Front 9 I was +15 and pretty souls destroying. On the back 9 I settled and was only +6 which raised the spirits.

Played a couple of courses in Vegas, one killed my discs, the other was a very short course and managed to play under par.

I'm kinda stuck on the my backhand and have reached around 265ft. Today I got a BH roller out to 317ft, a new distance record for me.

Gotta start and play more on the course! Still loving the challenge. Favorite discs are my light weight Destroyer and mid size Mamba!