• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally a shoe that tops the KEEN Marshal/Nasu/Kozo

Marcovis

I think I have finally found the answer to the question, "what is the ultimate shoe for disc golf". For the last couple years I have worn KEEN's and had good experiences with them, but they all broke down quick and all 6 of the Marshalls ended up with cracked soles in 2-6 months. I now have 12+ rounds in the Merrell Capra Sport Gore-Tex and it's by far the best shoe I've worn for disc golf. Not cheap at $160 retail, but well worth the money. Anyone else tried these before?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 536
Wow, soles on those look perfect for DG durability. I usually get about one year out of a pair of Salomon XA Pro GTX's, at about $110 per pair. If I could stretch these to two years, they might be worth the extra 50 bucks.

I picked up a pair of Asics after mutilating the sole of my Adidas trail runners. The Asics now have the sole on the outer ball of the foot peeling off. I say its because I pivot on the ball of my foot when I should be on my heel. I dont want to drop the money on a pair of these type of shoes but then again, these Asics were $50, if I buy another pair I'm just about at the cost of one pair of these. Maybe I should suck it up and go for it?

Merrell's are the only disc golf shoe I'll ever use. Those look great.

I used Merrell before switching to KEEN for the last couple years. Had pretty good luck with the waterproof Moab, but the Capra Sport is on a whole different level. This shoe actually has arch support! I usually put a powerstep orthotic in all my shoes to get support and I don't have to with these. They offer a few different colors and they also make a mid-top version I plan on buying for fall/winter golf.

Both pair of Merrell's I owned that "claimed" to be waterproof leaked like I jumped in the pond feet first. I won't spend the $$$ on Merrell's again. I have had really good luck with the Hi-Tech brand. I always find them on sale dirt cheap, they last, and are actually waterproof.

I have had all kinds of disc golf shoes and have spent lots of money and the only thing worth spending money for is a Vibram sole. Goretex will leak, it's a waste to spend more to have it. It may work a couple times but it will always fail. So I found these bad boys by New Balance. They have a large selection of outdoor/hiking/cross training shoes with Vibram soles for around 40-60$. If you want to pay double for your shoe to say a certain brand, then be my guest. I got 2 pairs of these online for 100$ shipped and I expect the 2 pair to get me through 3 yrs of DG.

Attachments

• 1439088016739.jpg
    1439088016739.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 1439088070836.jpg
    1439088070836.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 1439088093504.jpg
    1439088093504.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 245
I have had all kinds of disc golf shoes and have spent lots of money and the only thing worth spending money for is a Vibram sole. Goretex will leak, it's a waste to spend more to have it. It may work a couple times but it will always fail. So I found these bad boys by New Balance. They have a large selection of outdoor/hiking/cross training shoes with Vibram soles for around 40-60$. If you want to pay double for your shoe to say a certain brand, then be my guest. I got 2 pairs of these online for 100$ shipped and I expect the 2 pair to get me through 3 yrs of DG.

What model is that? You are cleverly covering it up in the photos....

I like New Balance in general, but tend to play DG in Keens of whatever semi-wornout hiking shoes I have laying around.

Looks like a good shoe, but I've been happier with my Keen's Targhee II's than I have been with my last two pairs of Merrells. The Keen-Dry kept my drier longer (has to be pretty bad for my feet to get wet) than whatever my Moabs used (one GoreTex, one Merrell's own membrane). Plus my current pair of Moabs don't feel comfy on longer days.

Not knocking Merrell, and hope these work well for whomever buys them, but I think my next pair will be Keen Nasu or Marshall if they fit/feel good.
:|

I need to know what model these are.

Ok sorry guys. Also, I'm not trying to de-rail the OPs thread. I have owned Merrell and felt silly for overpaying so much. I look at shoes like a car in a way. The tires take the most abuse on a car and the soles of a shoe take the most abuse of the shoe. Vibram soles are the way to go. That being said I try to find shoes with that sole in the 40-60$ range and I that price point I can easy get dedicated disc golf shoes and buy a new pair every year. It seems Vibram has a partnership with New Balance (which happens to be my favorite shoe company anyway) and they offer a wide variety of their shoes with Vibram soles. The ones I referred to earlier are MO989GR and I think I got the old model and got the for 50$ a pair shipped. New model I found on EBay for 60$ shipped in limited size. If you search "new balance vibram" on Amazon or eBay you can regularly find multiple models of shoe for 40-60$ shipped. Here are a couple links that I found with minimal searching

Just ordered these in size 12 for 40$ shipped http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F5...C_S X110_SY165_QL70&keywords=new+balance+mo99

Disclaimer: depending on your terrain, body size , and DG footwork , they will factor in on how long ANY pair of shoes will last you. I am over 6'4" and 220lbs , and I don't have a major toe drag and I use these in desert Rocky dry AZ terrain and my first pair made it over a year with just a minor hole showing where I drag my foot. Still very usable but I retired them. My merrels and KEEns lasted about as long , although the soles on those separated from the shoe. So for 40$ I am expecting a year or so worth of just exclusively DG.

Thanks man.

I'm 6'4" 220 and have been looking for a nice pair of aggressive trail running type shoes for DG.

Those New Balance look like a good deal. I'm going to get a pair. At that price you can't go wrong.

I've been wearing merrell all out blaze. First pair is still wearable, and almost 2 years old. Just got a new pair with ventilation. For me, these shoes are very comfortable, and have held up great.

How is the sizing on the New Balance?

I've been wearing merrell all out blaze. First pair is still wearable, and almost 2 years old. Just got a new pair with ventilation. For me, these shoes are very comfortable, and have held up great.

I've been wearing All Out Blazes since April or so, and they still look brand new. Just enough water resistance to keep out the morning dew. Low drop so I can feel the ground underneath my feet, which is important to me. And they're amazingly comfortable. Wish there was a little more structure in the toe.

I got the amazon new balance for the courses we have with grass but I wouldn't wear them in rough terrain around the cactus and rocks lol . The NB with mesh uppers seem to run true to size but the ebay link I posted (MO989GR) might run a half inch small and you may need to get the "wide" version if you have a larger Foot. .