• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First dyes

n0val

Hello guys!! First post on the forums, thought I'd show my first attempts. They're not to extreme, I wanted something that would be forgiving if mt lines were off a bit. The first one was done on a new Tracker with contact paper...didnt go so well. The second one I pulled out the ol Surge SS (didnt wanna ruin another new disc) and used some no-name-vinyl I found at a shop by the house. Let me know what you think...
P4270459.jpg

P4270462.jpg

First one has got some bleeds, but still nice. And the second one it really nice, keep up the good work.

Those look nice even with the bleeds. You definitely have some skills

CHEERS - Koffee

The bleeds actually add a pretty neat effect to the overall look of the disc.

There appear to be roughly 13 lessons learned between the two, though. Nice work!

ChUcK said:
There appear to be roughly 13 lessons learned between the two, though.
If you hadn't put a number with it I'd have agreed and carried on, but now I'm curious...care to name the "roughly 13 lessons learned?"

I'll admit I was a bit skeptical of the number, but I truly was hoping for a list of eight things or so. Doing something right doesn't mean you know why you've done it right...and without knowing why you did it right it can be difficult to apply to other situations. Dying discs might be controlled enough where it doesn't matter if you know why so long as you know how, but it couldn't hurt to list things just the same.

It's easy to just say, "I need to use transfer tape" without ever trying a transfer without it. You'll get good results, but you won't fully understand all the nuances of problems you're avoiding by using it. By truly learning this lesson you understand that vinyl can stretch which affects not only the shape of the design, but the tackiness, and the propensity for bleeds. People who are proficient at emulating can become quite good at a craft, but they are much more likely to fall short of greatness due to a lack of a greater understanding. I'm just hoping to learn as much as I can without having to fail as often as my predecessors (yeah...I'm only looking to be good, not great, wanna make something of it? :wink: )

That was a damn good post.

-Less bleeds the second time around, which is probably the result of 1) slightly cleaner xacto technique, 2) used vinyl this time, 3) ensured the flight plate was as clean as could be, and 4) a smoother transfer of the stencil despite being waay more complex than the first one.

-An old disc was used for the 2nd trial, in order to 5) not risk ruining a possibly profitable disc

-The Misfits logo was an excellent choice for practice because of screwy lines that 6) look cool and 7) hide inconsistencies in unpracticed yet blooming xacto skills

-The hotstamp was removed better, but that is hard to infer causes as Discraft's stamps can vary from heavenly easy to fiendishly difficult to remove. Possible 8) better acetone technique.

n0val's dye career is now forever going to be haunted by a numbered list of lessons learned. What do you think n0val, was I close in my assessment of the differences between trials 1 and 2?

Thanks for the comments guys!! Before I got started I first, came to this site, watched ChUcks videos, read acidbath666s thread, then thought I should give it a shot. I had most of the needed items sitting around the house for the first go round (razors, contact paper, discs) so dye and a pot was on the Walmart list. Fast forward, I used masking tape for transfer the contact paper to the disc, fisrt lesson learned...masking tape was to sticky and pulled the center of the "D" off. After the second time cutting out this design, I used blue painters tape which worked alot better. Now I had a few air bubbles to deal with, second lesson, contact paper is really thin...my fingernail hit the paper a couple times which streched it, thats where I got some bleeds.
Second disc, picked up a swivel exacto knife, lightbox, and some vinyl...much better results. Now if I can just think of what to dye next...

That Machine Head logo looks good enough.
I did a slayer eagle that looked sick a while back. Might have to crank out a Machine head one when I get the time.

n0val said:
Hello guys!! First post on the forums, thought I'd show my first attempts. They're not to extreme, I wanted something that would be forgiving if mt lines were off a bit. The first one was done on a new Tracker with contact paper...didnt go so well. The second one I pulled out the ol Surge SS (didnt wanna ruin another new disc) and used some no-name-vinyl I found at a shop by the house. Let me know what you think...
P4270459.jpg

P4270462.jpg

That Devildriver disc is very cool. The bleeding on it makes it look better IMO.

AciDBatH666 said:
That Machine Head logo looks good enough.
I did a slayer eagle that looked sick a while back. Might have to crank out a Machine head one when I get the time.
I was actually thinking about hittin you up to see if you were interested in cutting out some designs for me, that Machine Head one is crazy, lots of little nautical stars...Im not ready for that :shock: